The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

Quote from: Ruto on July 20, 2016, 10:49:53 PMTrying to argue science? What? It's not a debate, you sort of need to find something called proof and do something called research. I've heard of people using the Bible for some archaeology and a guess about some scientific event, but usually it's not useful enough to be used in place of a real science book. Like when some Chinese astronomers recorded the first supernova, we have a record of the date, a good observation of the event, where it took place in the sky...and detailed enough for it not to be confused with another event.

I'm sorry if my comment wasn't articulated in the right way. Of course, research is important! All theories are based off of factual information, and the book I read was written by a scientist and included references for all cited research papers, including primary and secondary resources. Nothing to do with believing in the unseen or guesswork, I assure you. :)
Hmm, I suppose the Bible is more suited as a historical source of world events rather than a scientist's record, though I'll leave it up to the theologians to assess the credibility of these books. ;)

@Tobbeh: Congrats on a good start! ^^ I've never really paid attention to my subscribers number, it changes much too slowly for me to notice a difference, haha.

SlowPokemon

Mistake number 1: taking the entire bible as a literal story rather than figurative
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 22, 2016, 02:23:24 PMMistake number 1: taking the entire bible as a literal story rather than figurative
This
Like by the same logic, the Qu'ran (which has had, in actual fact, far less tampering with the original text than the Bible) should also be considered
Quote from: Onionleaf on July 22, 2016, 01:35:06 AMI a historical source of world events rather than a scientist's record,

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't really take historical records seriously if they have stories of water being turned into wine, multiplying fish and bread, and walking on water.
Of course, there are all kinds of scriptural explanations for it, but they only came about out of necessity. People had to reinterpret scripture as it was proven wrong.
what is shitpost

mikey

so to you things can't happen unless they have an explanation that you've been taught.
unmotivated

FireArrow

When a church tells you something and you refuse to believe anything that contradicts what that chuch told you, that's an equal if not more pertinent example of "things can't happen unless they have an explanation that you've been taught." The difference is that uses one multiple interpreations derived from a single source and the other uses a single interpretation derived from multiple sources.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

The difference is that I'm not claiming something to be certainly false.  I'm not that stupid.
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 22, 2016, 04:48:59 PMThe difference is that I'm not claiming something to be certainly false.  I'm not that stupid.

Something not certinaintly being false isn't enough for it to be taught in schools or be in textbooks, which is what this discussion is about iirc.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 22, 2016, 02:57:37 PMso to you things can't happen unless they have an explanation that you've been taught.
No, but I don't assume or believe that they have happened if there's literally no evidence for them happening.
Yes, it's possible for there to be some other solution, but until that presents itself, it's impossible to factor in.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 22, 2016, 04:48:59 PMThe difference is that I'm not claiming something to be certainly false.  I'm not that stupid.
By the same logic, you should also be taking the same stance on the Zeus, Apollo, Allah, and every Amazonian jungle god to ever exist. They should be taken just as seriously under that logic.
what is shitpost

WaluigiTime64

Let me just break the conversation for a moment.

So close to 2000! Now how many of those are bots I wonder...
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Pretty sure all the bots were banned and/or deleted.

WaluigiTime64

That's good. I'm seriously not sure why someone would fill a sheet music forum with bots.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

BlackDragonSlayer

Well if it's a forum, one thing that's certain is that somebody will try to fill it with bots!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

InsigTurtle

Had a physics test today, was briefly confused by a question asking how much work needed to be done to lift an object from the surface of a planet to a distance infinitely far away.

Now we're doing electricity. It is a mystery, since no one has ever observed it or heard it or felt it.
Jokes aside, this really is a new topic for me, so it's quite interesting.

Altissimo

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 22, 2016, 10:34:55 PMNow we're doing electricity. It is a mystery, since no one has ever observed it or heard it or felt it.

I lol'd.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 22, 2016, 10:34:55 PMHad a physics test today, was briefly confused by a question asking how much work needed to be done to lift an object from the surface of a planet to a distance infinitely far away.
My chemistry teacher (who apparently is supposed to teach us physics too?) would make a test question like this:
An object has 7 kg of mass. How much work would it take to send it flying into the Sun? And the answer she would expect: It depends on the amount of money you're willing to spend on the rocket.
A. The answer doesn't make sense.
B. The question doesn't make sense.
C. Very little of that even has anything to do with the topic she's been teaching
D. The answer has to be EXACTLY as I wrote it. Even if you forget the punctuation at the end, it's incorrect.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]