News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Dudeman on February 14, 2017, 03:41:53 PMUhhhhh...the  I n t e r n e t?
What is this place? Sounds quaint, like a place my grandmother would want to frequent.
Wait... is it of any similarity to the Internet? In that case, my grandmother would have better things to do.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on February 14, 2017, 03:45:44 PMMaybe look for books at libraries. I think the internet is better suited for studying "computer science" and related topics. If you're interested in other science areas you might want to look at book stores, but maybe look at the internet for book stores and for the books you're interested in. But I mean there are good websites for studying sciences and taking small courses, for free, on the internet (as dudeman talked about), if you're interested in that.
Eh, it isn't necessarily limited to Comp. Sci., unless I wanted to go WAYYYYY into the Internet (#InspectElement). Either way, though, Comp. Sci. doesn't pop up much (and I know the basics). I've looked around at different things, with regards to books, and some have been helpful. I'm finding Khan Academy as my go-to source. Are there any other places you guys have heard of something similar to KA?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zunawe

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 14, 2017, 04:13:23 PMWAYYYYY into the Internet (#InspectElement).
So deep.

The only thing that comes to mind as a super general science resource is Stack Exchange. But really it's like an educated version of Yahoo Answers, and it doesn't even really specifically apply to science, so it's more likely you'll find an answer to a question than learn something through a process. I can give you good books on programming, but that's about it.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mikey

Quote from: Zunawe on February 14, 2017, 06:16:19 PMSo deep.
all the hard work you've ever put into your schooling was injected into this single statement
unmotivated

FireArrow

There's a teacher at my school that hates dabbing and this kid remarks to the sub "You would hate her, she's anti-semetic against dabbing." It was hard not to facepalm.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

E. Gadd Industries

Zunawe: Well foo. I guess I'll just stick with KA & whatever else I can find in my selection of books. I haven't seen much programming on any of the tests, so the books wouldn't help much.

FA: ...Welp, excuse me while I go and summon Hitler's body from wherever it is and throw it at said person.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zunawe

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 14, 2017, 06:39:23 PMall the hard work you've ever put into your schooling was injected into this single statement
thank you for acknowledging the effort it took to condense my education into two words. it was hard not to write more.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mikey

You conveyed it so masterfully.
https://youtu.be/R7vmHGAshi8

So... When I get back from my mission... I've decided to travel.  I'm not the kind of person who can stay in the same place for too long.  This is years down the road, but I am going to do it, and I'm going to make a point of finding every single person here (mostly for free accommodations because we're friends right).  So, yeah that's all.  Gonna hitchhike around the us, then into Canada, Alaska, then go to Asia then Australia or something.  Something about traveling clicks with me, so I'm not gonna change my mind about this.
unmotivated

Zeila

That's quite an undertaking, good luck! It sounds enjoyable

Quote from: Zunawe on February 14, 2017, 06:16:19 PMI can give you good books on programming, but that's about it.
I'm willing to check some of them out, primarily on C/C++ or Assembly but I'm open to others. I'm okay with you either posting some suggestions here or pming me

Bloop

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 14, 2017, 10:52:33 PMand I'm going to make a point of finding every single person here (mostly for free accommodations because we're friends right).
see you in the netherlands

Zunawe

Quote from: Zeila on February 14, 2017, 11:48:21 PMI'm willing to check some of them out, primarily on C/C++ or Assembly but I'm open to others. I'm okay with you either posting some suggestions here or pming me
Programming in C (3rd Edition) by Stephen Kochan is basically the go-to (ha) for introduction to C. (Don't use gotos in your code or you'll get slapped.)

Learn C before learning C++, and definitely learn C before learning assembly. C is the low level programming language, and understanding it will be an enormous insight into how computers manipulate data. Only once you truly understand pointers and structs should you start looking at how assembly works.

Also, be careful about what you mean by "learn assembly." People don't write assembly code unless they hate themselves or need to do like 4 things in the most efficient way imaginable. Understanding assembly is valuable, but don't use it to write programs. That's a compiler's job. Write C programs and use GDB to disassemble them.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with C++ to fully understand the reasons for the differences from C, so you're on your own there.

Edit: Ooh, yeah. Play TIS-100 if you're interested in assembly. It'll give you an idea of the flow of logic, but it's very watered down.

I program things

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 14, 2017, 10:52:33 PMSo... When I get back from my mission... I've decided to travel.  I'm not the kind of person who can stay in the same place for too long.  This is years down the road, but I am going to do it, and I'm going to make a point of finding every single person here (mostly for free accommodations because we're friends right).  So, yeah that's all.  Gonna hitchhike around the us, then into Canada, Alaska, then go to Asia then Australia or something.  Something about traveling clicks with me, so I'm not gonna change my mind about this.

lmk how it goes, shit like that sounds interesting to me lol

E. Gadd Industries

I plan on doing something along those lines as well, just not as extensive (and this is after I get out of college)
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zeila

Quote from: Zunawe on February 15, 2017, 12:44:31 AMProgramming in C (3rd Edition) by Stephen Kochan is basically the go-to (ha) for introduction to C. (Don't use gotos in your code or you'll get slapped.)

Learn C before learning C++, and definitely learn C before learning assembly. C is the low level programming language, and understanding it will be an enormous insight into how computers manipulate data. Only once you truly understand pointers and structs should you start looking at how assembly works.

Also, be careful about what you mean by "learn assembly." People don't write assembly code unless they hate themselves or need to do like 4 things in the most efficient way imaginable. Understanding assembly is valuable, but don't use it to write programs. That's a compiler's job. Write C programs and use GDB to disassemble them.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with C++ to fully understand the reasons for the differences from C, so you're on your own there.

Edit: Ooh, yeah. Play TIS-100 if you're interested in assembly. It'll give you an idea of the flow of logic, but it's very watered down.
It's a little too late for me learning C before C++, and the reason why I asked for a book on assembly was to see if you would recommend something that's better than the current book that my intro class is using, but thanks for the advice! (And the C book/TIS-100 recommendations!)

Dudeman

Quote from: Zunawe on February 15, 2017, 12:44:31 AMEdit: Ooh, yeah. Play TIS-100 if you're interested in assembly. It'll give you an idea of the flow of logic, but it's very watered down.
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

Quote from: Dudeman on February 15, 2017, 09:13:37 AMFuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

i still cannot for the life of me tell if the original quote was serious or not