The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 07, 2014, 01:36:45 PMColumbus Day

Should we really have a day for this greedy, genocidal man, though

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 07, 2014, 01:36:45 PMChristmas is still about Jesus

Not really...
Even at its inception, Christmas was less of a sacred religious holiday, and more of a way to make it easier to convert Pagans to Christianity. I'm pretty sure it's centered around the Pagan holiday of Saturnalia. Because, as far as I'm knowledgeable on the subject, at least, there no historical evidence suggesting that Jesus was actually born on December 25th. It was likely at some time in the spring (again, as far as I'm knowledgeable). So, Christmas has never really been about Jesus. It started off as a Pagan holiday involving a week of lawlessness, and evolved into the commercial spectacle that it is today.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on February 07, 2014, 04:22:43 PMShould we really have a day for this greedy, genocidal man, though

Not really...
Even at its inception, Christmas was less of a sacred religious holiday, and more of a way to make it easier to convert Pagans to Christianity. I'm pretty sure it's centered around the Pagan holiday of Saturnalia. Because, as far as I'm knowledgeable on the subject, at least, there no historical evidence suggesting that Jesus was actually born on December 25th. It was likely at some time in the spring (again, as far as I'm knowledgeable). So, Christmas has never really been about Jesus. It started off as a Pagan holiday involving a week of lawlessness, and evolved into the commercial spectacle that it is today.
Just because Jesus was born in April doesn't mean we have to celebrate it in april(if that makes sense xD)

And Columbus wasn't that bad of a guy.  People just make him out that way.  He did some preeetty great stuff.
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

Hero worship is an integral part towards establishing a national identity and helping people connect to the huge mass that is their nation.  Lots of people can be cynical about it but everyone everywhere does it because it is simply necessary.  Gives cultural ideals to teach and learn from, regardless of what the actual life of those in question may have been.

me irl
[close]

spitllama

Nocturne, Columbus was actually a really bad guy. I learned about it sometime in high school, but The Oatmeal did a great job consolidating all of the facts (yes I just referenced a comic as a valid source).
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

mikey

I'm pretty mad right now :/
most of you wouldn't get it though :(
unmotivated

Bubbles

spitllama

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 07, 2014, 06:04:36 PMI'm pretty mad right now :/
most of you wouldn't get it though :(

The cryptic cliffhanger.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

mikey

Quote from: Bubbles on February 07, 2014, 06:34:26 PMTry me
I was in champ select when someone said Nasus has only gotten one nerf.
Take out of that what you will.
unmotivated

Ruto

Quote from: Dude on February 07, 2014, 08:32:58 AMFor once, I'm excited about Valentine's day.

Too bad it's for a completely different reason then most people would think!

All the yaoi that gets posted up in the 24 hours of that holiday? <3

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 07, 2014, 04:59:23 PMAnd Columbus wasn't that bad of a guy.  People just make him out that way.  He did some preeetty great stuff.
At least there isn't a "Cortés Day"... then I'd complain...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 07, 2014, 01:36:45 PMChristmas is still about Jesus
It really isn't at all in the slightest. At least in America.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

Unless you go to some hick small towns or deep south

me irl
[close]

Dude

Quote from: Ruto on February 07, 2014, 08:14:08 PMAll the yaoi that gets posted up in the 24 hours of that holiday? <3
rude. not everything i look forward to is yaoi, you know?

It's the release date for the full version of Mousou☆Express!

mikey

Yeah I know there's a thread for this but I just saw the Lego Movie.
DARKNESS

DEAD PARENTS

SUPER RICH
unmotivated