News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

I wouldn't be too worried about the radiation, more so I don't sleep with my phone so I don't get too attached to it [emoji14]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Waddle Bro

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 07, 2015, 08:26:41 AMI don't sound to be negative or anything but I recommend not sleeping with any device especially a phone. There are instances of people getting hurt from the radiation that comes out of their phones.
People getting cancer etc.
There was this one kid that slept with his IPod under his pillow every night. He got brain cancer. :/
Looool sounds like that garbage conservative parents try to feed their kids to manipulate them

Dude

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 07, 2015, 10:03:33 AMLooool sounds like that garbage conservative parents try to feed their kids to manipulate them
qft

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I highly doubt the radiation story- what radiation is even being given off from the phone? If that's the case, too, it would be dangerous even to have it in your pocket for a long period of time.
Plus, Apple would have a major ass lawsuit on their hands.
I do know that a frayed charger cord or something can start fires, though, as it nearly happened to me XD
what is shitpost

Jamaha

Oh boy. Just to clarify: I'm obtaining my M.Sc degree in radio science and engineering this month and work as a researcher in said field. Currently I am researching antennas.

Radiation has such a negative connotation for many people who don't know better. I don't really like that, considering my career involves making things radiate as effectively as possible. It is easy to draw conclusions like NUKES = RADIATION = PHONES = CANCER from things people don't quite understand.

One important aspect is the distinction between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Gamma rays (such as from nuclear fission), x-rays and ultraviolet light are ionizing radiation. This means that they carry enough energy to ionize molecules. Now if those molecules happen to be a part of your body, that's not really good for you.

Microwaves (such as those transmitted by your phone) are non-ionizing radiation. This means the radiation does not carry enough energy to ionize molecules. Instead, it only vibrates them. This is more commonly known as heating. Also, know what is between microwaves and ionizing radiation on the electromagnetic spectrum? Visible light. Considering the energy of radiating particles increases with frequency, you should be more worried about your light bulbs than your phone.

So, the only certain health effect of microwaves is their ability to heat things. This is of course used by a microwave ovens. And although the radiation in your microwave oven is similar to that radiated by a phone, there is one rather important difference: A microwave oven radiates with a power of around 700 Watts. Your phone is limited to 2 Watts. The heating caused by your phone? Insignificant. Not to mention the fact that in an oven there is nowhere for the radiation to go but to the food whereas the radiation from your phone spreads everywhere around it.

As a precaution, however, there is a measure called Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) which describes the rate of energy absorbed by human body when it is subjected to electromagnetic radiation. Every phone must have a SAR below a specific threshold, and even that threshold is far from resulting in any health effects.

If you have any questions you'd like clarified, let me know.

mikey

The guy who discovers microwaves didn't he die of cancer
unmotivated

braix

Is my sig too distracting? Should I change it?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Jompa

I literally dropped that show because of how distracting all the colors were. But the sig's fine!
Birdo for Smash

mikey

unmotivated

Ruto

Quote from: Jamaha on August 07, 2015, 11:09:18 AMExplanation

Oh yeah~

Didn't even need to get into the biological reasons of why that phone thing is nuts. Nice work.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 07, 2015, 10:03:33 AMLooool sounds like that garbage conservative parents try to feed their kids to manipulate them

Waddle is pure gold!

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Sebastian

FireArrow

In layman's terms, the radiation your phone gives off is less dangerous than visible light.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

At this point the presidential election is just another lame media fest rather than an important government procedure
unmotivated

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle