News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Anyone else find it weird that feminism doesn't promote femininity?
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

No, since feminism specifically states/shows how the concept of femininity was created by men in the first place.
what is shitpost

mikey

I mean why call it feminism if you're trying to go the other way
unmotivated

Yug_Guy

Quotefeminism (n.)
1851, "qualities of females;" 1895, "advocacy of women's rights;" from French féminisme (1837); see feminine + -ism.
Quotefeminine (adj.)
mid-14c., "of the female sex," from Old French femenin (12c.) "feminine, female; with feminine qualities, effeminate," from Latin femininus "feminine" (in the grammatical sense at first), from femina "woman, female," literally "she who suckles," from root of felare "to suck, suckle". Usual modern sense of "woman-like, proper to or characteristic of women" is recorded from mid-15c
Quoteism (n.)
"distinctive doctrine, theory, or practice," 1670s, the suffix -ism used as an independent word, chiefly disparagingly. Related: Ismatical. By the same path, ist is from 1811.
Feminism in this case takes the meaning from the original Latin word meaning simply "woman", rather than the modern-day connotations of feminine via French or English. Thus, feminism takes the connotation of "the doctrine, theory, or practice of women" rather than "the doctrine, theory, or practice of that which is feminine".
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=feminine&allowed_in_frame=0
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=feminism
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=-ism

Dude

we need like a deep thinking area of the forums to put you people

mikey

so like, should I not hold a door for a feminist or would they find it offensive
unmotivated

Yug_Guy

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 05:27:35 PMso like, should I not hold a door for a feminist or would they find it offensive
idk. I just look up origins of words.

Dude

if you're holding the door only for her because she is a girl, then you're a dick

if you're holding the door for many people because you're nice, then it's ok

i think

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 05:07:19 PMI mean why call it feminism if you're trying to go the other way
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+feminism
Quote from: Dude on January 19, 2016, 05:29:49 PMif you're holding the door only for her because she is a girl, then you're a dick

if you're holding the door for many people because you're nice, then it's ok
This ^
Honestly though if a feminist gets pissed at you for holding a door and makes the assumption it's because she's a woman that really isn't okay either. I'm all for equality for women but it's such a trivial thing and all you're doing is bringing a label of men hatred towards your cause.
That being said, if you only hold the door open for women either because you do it as a preemptive way of trying to get some, or because you think women are weaker, you're a dick.
what is shitpost

Dudeman

All right gentlemen, let's just keep holding doors open for everyone. Sounds like a good plan.

...anyone else find it somewhat ironic that currently only males are discussing feminism in this topic?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Yes, it's somewhat ironic, but not surprising given that the majority of people active in these debates tend to be male.
what is shitpost

mikey

what the heck PDS why would you give me a lmgtfy I literally looked up feminism because I was thinking about that and it said "the something something women political, social, and economic stuff."  Mainly referring to the social in my case.

Good heavens, next the old people are going to riot to stop people from treating them differently because they're old
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: Dudeman on January 19, 2016, 05:55:25 PMAll right gentlemen, let's just keep holding doors open for everyone. Sounds like a good plan.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 06:05:45 PMwhat the heck PDS why would you give me a lmgtfy I literally looked up feminism because I was thinking about that and it said "the something something women political, social, and economic stuff."  Mainly referring to the social in my case.
Because you asked this:
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 04:26:33 PMAnyone else find it weird that feminism doesn't promote femininity?
When clearly you didn't read that feminism is
"the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."
what is shitpost

mikey

so uh
why is FEMINIsm trying to be more MASCULINE
unmotivated