The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nakah

How can you divorce Pink Floyd? That is a mortal sin. That is turning away pure enlightenment. What a shame.

The Beatles are great. I love their music, and Pink Floyd, and that has nothing to do with the point Roz was trying to make about being anti-trendy. Infact, the Beatles are probably more trendy than any known band alive today in the music world. Everyone knows them, but only people making bs allegations about their music being trendy don't actually listen to their music.

Perhaps it's my appreciation for Pink Floyd's use of soul and blues combined with rock and psychedelic sounds. If you notice, Pink Floyd started out very abstract in the 60s with their music being the premier psychedelic sound of the decade, which carried on into the 70s. Then around the time of the Wall and the albums that came in the 80s, their music turned away from that "psychedelic noodling stuff"(as David Gilmour described it) and became more of rock. Either way, don't go judging someone wearing a Dark Side of the Moon shirt as a trendy stoner stuck in the 70s. Their music reaches levels of depth that I don't think any band today even comes close to.

My question is, how can you actually like any of the modern songs today? They're so fake and surface level, and in most cases detrimental to society. It explains why many people who judge the older music don't appreciate it, they see things on the surface level of today's music.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Maretocks

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 13, 2010, 09:38:36 PMI'm not a stoner, and I love Pink Floyd :)

Quote from: Nakah on December 13, 2010, 09:26:45 PMMy question is, how can you actually like any of the modern songs today? They're so fake and surface level, and in most cases detrimental to society. It explains why many people who judge the older music don't appreciate it, they see things on the surface level of today's music.
A lot of popular modern music of today isn't great...at all. But you can't say, "modern music is bad". There are a lot of creative and soulful artists out there. Regina Spektor and Jack Johnson come to mind. Most of the 'indie' bands are pretty good. But there are several genres now that just suck, yet everyone loves them. There are some gems though.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Winter

I usually listen to 80's and 90's music, cause I can't find anything else so... "pristine" feeling

you just can't make music with the same soul behind it... It puts me in a little box when I listen to it. I can  be in a car in the middle of the highway and when I put my headphones on I can't even tell... I usually forget.

PRISTINE

I can't think of any other word.

MasterPenguin

Quote from: Nakah on December 13, 2010, 09:26:45 PMWhine whine whine.

Get your head out of your ass and actually take a look at music that's produced today. You may not like the hit artists (Bieber anyone? -_-), but to say that modern music is awful is ignorant. Take of those rose tinted glasses of yours (might be pretty difficult with your head still in your ass, but I'm pretty sure you can do it.) Look past what all the 12 year old girls scream about and actually listen to some music.

Maretocks

<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

DrP

Quote from: Nakah on December 13, 2010, 09:26:45 PMHow can you divorce Pink Floyd? That is a mortal sin. That is turning away pure enlightenment. What a shame.

The Beatles are great. I love their music, and Pink Floyd, and that has nothing to do with the point Roz was trying to make about being anti-trendy. Infact, the Beatles are probably more trendy than any known band alive today in the music world. Everyone knows them, but only people making bs allegations about their music being trendy don't actually listen to their music.

Perhaps it's my appreciation for Pink Floyd's use of soul and blues combined with rock and psychedelic sounds. If you notice, Pink Floyd started out very abstract in the 60s with their music being the premier psychedelic sound of the decade, which carried on into the 70s. Then around the time of the Wall and the albums that came in the 80s, their music turned away from that "psychedelic noodling stuff"(as David Gilmour described it) and became more of rock. Either way, don't go judging someone wearing a Dark Side of the Moon shirt as a trendy stoner stuck in the 70s. Their music reaches levels of depth that I don't think any band today even comes close to.

My question is, how can you actually like any of the modern songs today? They're so fake and surface level, and in most cases detrimental to society. It explains why many people who judge the older music don't appreciate it, they see things on the surface level of today's music.

It all sounds the same... I can barely tell the difference between Dark Side of the Moon and Comfortably Numb... though both great songs.

I ACUTALLY like some modern stuff. I listen to Indie Music, like Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend. I like the stuff from Muse and the Killers that were released in the last two years.

I still go to the classics a lot, but not to Pink Floyd or the Beatles

Brassman388

So, I don't know what to arrange. I'll probably take up help in my own little project that I, oh so, started long ago. Or, I could take up whatever other useful projects that are floating around. With the exception of the PDF project. I hate making PDF's.

MasterPenguin

Jub3r7

l really, REALLY wish that guy would stop staring at me.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Dude

Why are old people sending me friend requests on facebook?

HugoMeister

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Harvest

I don't understand when people say someone listens to music to be cool or trendy or something.  That is fucking retarded. 

I listen to The Beatles because I tend to enjoy things that are old.  I dislike popular music today, so I go to music that was popular years ago.  Plus, their music is so varied and incredible anyway, and each band member was really cool and unique. 

They're pretty much all I listen to now, I just can't get away from them :O
-

SuperFireKirby

I like the pre-LSD Beatles quite a bit more. I enjoy lots of old music, especially that ranging from the mid 50's to early 70's.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

UGH. Stupid father. Making me work tonight when I am not even on the schedule. Because a stupid employee has to take off because his wife's got heart problems. >:(

I am not happy right now.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.