News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

The Random Facts Topic

Started by SuperFireKirby, August 10, 2009, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Brassman388 on September 07, 2009, 09:48:03 PMA Photon is a packet of light and energy, and it all depends on what frequency it's at. Gamma radiation is the fastest.
It goes radio waves, microwave(which is a kind of radio wave),infrared,visible light spectrum, ulra-violet,v-rays, alpha waves, beta, waves, gamma waves.
The more sub-catagories but I'm too lazy to name them.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SirIngusBingus

Go back to random facts.

Contrary to popular belief, the moon is not in fact made of cheese.

SuperFireKirby

YOU LIE!

Spider web material is stronger than steel.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SuperFireKirby

The egyptians invented the first alcoholic beverage known as mead which was made with fermented honey.

MaestroUGC

Don't you find it a little curious that inventions that aren't needed for daily life (i.e. roller caosters) are quickly created after the key component (i.e. the electric motor) is invented or discovered; yet various things that seem almost invaluable (i.e. the light bulb) take hundreds of years to be refined, or invented even, after the need for it becomes apparent.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maretocks

And thus we discover the downside of technological advancement.

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on September 10, 2009, 02:10:31 PMSpider web material is stronger than steel.
Spider web has a stronger tensile strength than steel. i.e., if you had two jets pulling opposite ways on a spider web, they would lose momentum, fall, and crash.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Cobraroll

Quote from: universe-X on January 14, 2010, 07:23:40 PMThe famous roller-coaster, "Cyclone" is made entirely out of wood and is the oldest functioning roller-coaster (to my knowledge, it was made in 1927). Wood, you know, that indestructible substance, the stuff that termites eat.

Umm... do not assume, dear friend: http://rcdb.com/m/1136.htm

This is the oldest coaster that I am aware of that still operates today.

Also, wooden coasters have longer life spans than steel coasters because they are easier to maintain. On steel coasters, the tracks and structure eventually bend so much that the coaster has to be scrapped or completely retracked. As the latter is about as expensive as building a new coaster, most companies choose to tear worn-out rides down and replace them.

With wooden coasters, however, you can rip out any part of the structure, and replace it (this is done on parts of most wooden coasters every year, off-season) without much trouble. In theory, a "woodie" could survive forever with a partial "retrack" every few years, and a new lift engine now and then, aside from regular maintenance (replacing wheels and lift chain, for instance, go in this category).
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Cobraroll

^Umm... only about 17. There aren't that many coasters in Norway, and in my current situation, I can't afford to go abroad. So my knowledge is mostly theoretical.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.