News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

update

Started by marioguy, October 28, 2009, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marioguy

I'm requesting an update. I don't believe that in two whole months NOBODY submitted a new song.

Cobraroll

We all do, honestly. Thing is, updating isn't as easy as it may seem. I'll tell you how the system works, keep that in mind for the future:

Arranging the songs is the easy part. I'm not going further into the process, but at some point, somebody will have a sheet ready to be published. They will usually put these in their submission thread. This can and does happen at any random given time. If you want to see arrangements not on site yet, visit the submission subforum.

From there on, it gets a little more complicated. Every once in a while, an update is announced. You see, only a few members have access to the uploader that puts new files on the site. Currently, these are Nintendude73, Nakah, JaMaHa and (I think) G-Han. Only they can add new files to the Ninsheetmusic server, thus edit the content on the main site.

All or at least most of these are human, just like the rest of us. They have lives, often involving things like school, work, friends and family. These things, plus sleep, meals and toilet trips together take a lot of time. As none of them actually work for NSM, but do all the modding on the spare time, working on the site unless there's something urgent is usually low priority.

Back to the updating, the current standard is that everyone who feel that their sheets are ready for the site, put links to their sheets in a specific Submission Thread. Once one of the uploaders get enough time, they'll download the sheets, and - here's the key - quality check them, making sure the formatting follows our standards and guidelines. This process takes a big chunk of time, and is preferrably done in chunks too (they like to do it all in one sitting).

However, between things in the "life"-category, it's rare to get these chunks of free time, so they are usually restricted to holidays. Holidays, as we all know, is few and far between, and if the mods all have plans for said holidays, there won't be any time to work on NSM either. Thus, it gets long between each update.

And that, my friend, is why we haven't had any updates for a while. But as said, new arrangements are constantly being put in the submission threads, so have a look there for songs not on site yet. Only issue is, sometimes they don't follow our formatting guidelines, and things like key signature or some chords may be wrong on those sheets. But they're usually very playable nonetheless.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Nintendude73

Very nice explanation, Cobraroll.

While I wish I could just constantly update the site and that I had all the free time in the world, that's just not the case.  And as the other updaters have vanished from the face of earth (or at least the face of NSM), I'm the only one as of right now.  And no, we're not planning on adding more at this point.

As Cobraroll said, all of these submissions are in the submissions forum, ready to be explored and played.  They're just not on the main site yet.  Nothing is stopping you from checking them out.  There's even a search function in the forums.

Long story short, if you really want to see a site update for sure, come back in the summer. :P

marioguy

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for the new songs then.

Nintendude73

...or check the submissions forum.

marioguy

I just find it odd that this site was having weekly updates, and then it's like everyone suddenly died.

Nintendude73

Take a look at the month every one of those weekly updates was posted...  all during the summer.  Summer = free time.  School = barely enough time to do what I NEED to do.

And sorry, but I'd rather spend what free time I do have with friends than here. :P

Dude

You have friends? >_>

Nintendude73

Quote from: Dude on October 30, 2009, 12:47:38 PMYou have friends? >_>
And to think I have doubts that you're actually older than me.  Silly me.  You're clearly more mature in every way.

Nintendude73

Hahahahahahahaha.

You guys aren't going to believe this... but the sheet uploader won't even load.  I'm getting a server error!  HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was actually all set to do an update (no Halloween plans til later tonight), but I can't!  Haha... ha...

KefkaticFanatic

Lawl, must have something to do with the avatars missing and giant errors floating around.

me irl
[close]

Seeker

Gives me time to fix my sheets. Awesomeness.

But yeah, that is hilariously ironic.
This is a signature.

HugoMeister

Or we can actually be productive again!

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!

omg piano AND MORE? WHAT IS THIS MAGICAL PLACE?

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Wrydryn

\o/ yay for shameless self promotion!

I now see how I disappeared from this place.
Although no one likes to go on the chat.