Dahans' arrangements: Christmas Surprise 2014

Started by dahans, November 13, 2009, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking for motivation... what do you want me to do nex?

Pokemon
19 (41.3%)
Super Mario
17 (37%)
Another medley
6 (13%)
Orchestrated arrangement
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

universe-X

Wow. Your round one piece is great. Sad thing is, however, that it's meant for a quartet and some of the chords for the strings aren't possible unless there's more people playing. Otherwise, that was one of the worst storms I've ever had to experience ;) Good luck!

dahans

Tell me which chords are unplayable! (I do not really know how to write for strings) I would be glad if you could tell me. Thanks for your comment!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

Well, measure 29, for instance. Cello: it's not really a chord, but those are big string jumps. A little risky, but it's playable. I like it. (I'll mainly focus on cello)

54: that's a little too stressful for the hands if one were to play that. That would be an A on G which is already really high up on the fingerboard playing with F on C. I don't think that chord is possible. 55, however, is fine because the G in that chord is an open string ;) Chords for strings are easier to play if one of them are open. Then the top note can go however high it wants to. That means 56 is not playable, either.

The open strings for cello are:
C (the lowest, it's on a ledger line)
G (on the very last line)
D (the middle line)
A (the top line)

It is possible to have a chord with an A as a bottom note, but it'd have to be played on D. 57 the first chord is not playable, the second chord is. Same for 58 and 59. For  60, neither chord is playable. 73, the first chord is not playable. 76, I think it's playable, but it would be too stressful for the hands. 78, first chord, not playable. And, finally, last measure: that A and F might be possible, but would be too stressful for the hands.

And there's your mini-lesson on chords for the cello ;)

TheLegend

First of all, you owe me five bucks (just kidding).  Yes, the storm was great.  I especially liked how you added the part when the storm was over, it was very peaceful, and.... amazing.  And mine was only about fourty measures...  :( how was mine?

dahans

Thank you U-X (it was really hard to understand but I know what you mean :D)

Thanks The Legend for the compliment (I do not know if the judges will like this part. Hopefully!)
My composition is about 80 measures. I think yours was more than OK, I really liked it. What you could have improved: A storm is something energetic and you could have added some chords that are dramatic. That's my opinion. But on the whole it was good. Let's wait what the judges will say :D.

universe-X

hehe, sorry, I knew it was gonna be hard to understand, which was what I was trying to avoid. :P I kinda gave up on my song when I was going through it. xD I changed the style completely when I was done. Nevertheless, it's one of my best original compositions :D And now I'm considering orchestrating more.

dahans

UDPATE! This one took me VERY long... tell me what you think!

universe-X

Hehe, I liked it. I saw that you tried making it virtuoso, but really it ended up becoming more chaotic. I think the ending could be improved and a few notes here and there, but I liked it :)

Olimar12345

im sorry, but it just doesnt sound like the gusty garden galaxy. several things that will help:

-ease up on the double flats at the begining
-the bass line at 7+ doesnt pulse on 1 and 3, its on 1 and the te of 2...
-47-51 didnt have both lines(the thing that makes it sound cool)
-no arrangement i've seen of this song has measure 54 written correctly...
-the "virtuoso" part makes it sound....bad. whats really there in the song is pretty cool, you should have written it.
-woulda prefered a repeat before the generic ending...
-the key switches from 3 sharps to 5 flats, why not just keep everything in flat keys or sharp keys? its been done before.

this song isnt easy to write OR play...try spending some more time with it, you'll get it!  ;)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

universe-X

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndnyzlxowjz

There''s my version of Gusty Garden.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

dahans

Quote from: olimar12345 on June 21, 2010, 11:44:00 AMim sorry, but it just doesnt sound like the gusty garden galaxy. several things that will help:

-ease up on the double flats at the begining
-the bass line at 7+ doesnt pulse on 1 and 3, its on 1 and the te of 2...
-47-51 didnt have both lines(the thing that makes it sound cool)
-no arrangement i've seen of this song has measure 54 written correctly...
-the "virtuoso" part makes it sound....bad. whats really there in the song is pretty cool, you should have written it.
-woulda prefered a repeat before the generic ending...
-the key switches from 3 sharps to 5 flats, why not just keep everything in flat keys or sharp keys? its been done before.

this song isnt easy to write OR play...try spending some more time with it, you'll get it!  ;)

First of all, thank you for your comment.
The double flats aren't necessary but they would be correct. (But since it's not a violin, I will change that).  Secondly, I thought that the key changes would it make easier to read, I wouldn't have made this key change, but I think it looks nicer, because there aren't so many sharps and flats. Measure 54... well I hate this measure to be honest, I couldn't figure out the correct notes, I thought it sounds good like that. I will make a repeat as well and it wasn't supposed to be a virtuoso part. But I will improve that as well... It's really hard for me to understand that it doesn't sound like Gusty Garden....

dahans

I have uploaded a new version... tell me what you think. IMO it's good...
However, it is very likely that this was my last arrangment, due to lack of time, lack of motivation and lack of the quality of my last arrangments...

Olimar12345

the pulses are still on the wrong beat! >.<  its supposed to be on the 4rd eighth note, the "up" beat. that would make it sound waaaay better.
 39-54 would sound better if u tied the 4th and 5th eighth note in the bass line, just btw.

and the ending u had woulda worked, just after another time through.

dahans

...hope it's OK now... I did not add the ending, my repeat tool didn't work.