Going to talent show!!

Started by KHRZ, December 03, 2009, 09:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KHRZ

So I applied for a Norwegian talent show, and got approved! (For the precast before the real audition, lol)

Anyway what I'm gonna play is Gusty Garden Galaxy, arranged by Tzohar (with some small differences)
sheets here
http://josh.agarrado.net/music/anime/

And me playing here (the differences are not in this recording)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZtEhPssMk

So what I'm asking, anyone got any tips for me to improve?
(recording is old, dynamics has gotten better, but far from perfect...)

Also please give suggestions for what I can play if I get to the next round (it's not until late January, but I need to start practice)

I know other songs of course but this is probably my best one, so far I'm considering OoT medley from here by Tangy, I already play a simpler version. Will need to improve the dynamics greatly for it, dynamics is my weak point :(

Seeker

The main thing I noticed was far too much pedal throughout. That usually indicates that the performer is unable to play it clearly and is disguising that with the pedal. You do not want the judges thinking that. It would be a lot easier to give feedback if the orchestra was out of the way as well.
This is a signature.

Cobraroll

Woo! I'm not the only Norwegian on here any more! (EDIT: Oh, you've been here longer than me... my bad)

By the looks of the first quarter of the (oh-so-slow-to-buffer) video, you play great. But just a question, where/what is that talent show?

Good luck!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

OMG!!! That was you!? Fantastic job on it!!! Really, and syncing it with the orchestra was genius! You should definitely play that. And as for a second song, you could probably do the Final Bowser theme from SM64, or the Athletic theme from SMW, or maybe the Good Egg Galaxy theme that you can try to find here:

www.aivitran.blogspot.com

@Seeker- The original song (found on this channel:

www.youtube.com/tzohar
)
Uses the pedal through out the entire song, not to cover anything, that was just his style, as seen in some of his other videos. (Tzohar can't read sheet music, how cool is that?!) So the pedal is really used to just fill the song with sound, not substituting anything.

Great song you picked, best of luck on auditions. :)

P.S. This sheet music is the only reason why I know/can play the Gusty Garden theme. I think this might be another person in MaestroUGC's target group. Also,can anyone make the sheet music for tzohar's version of Bowser's Galaxy Reactor? Would be very nice. Just wondering, too, how did you learn how to play the left hand in sync with the right hand? I just can't get my fingers to move that fast while still thinking about the notes. How did you it?

Seeker

Tzohar's pedaling doesn't detract from the clarity. KHRZ's does. Tzohar is using it for effect. The first impression for KHRZ is that he is using it to cover unsure technique.
This is a signature.

universe-X

hmm, I'm not sure, gonna have to check back on that...

KHRZ

Woah thanks for many replies! Would have checked earlier if I knew that :)

Cobraroll, it's the show "Norske talenter"

So about the pedal, yeah I've started to work on it a little lately. Basically for the past years I've been using pedal without thinking much about it, so if it's hiding something I didn't mean that. I have to ask what you mean with "clearly", does it refer to the dynamics or playing correctly? (left hand does some mistakes now and then)

Since it's hard to hear with the orchestra, I uploaded a more recent recording without it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cj22wm1l4mw
I was hoping for higher quality by using a mic, but unfortunately it sounds really bad at high volume, recorded it to my laptop that doesn't have a sound card (cheap school...)
Just noticed I played the song a little slow here, usually I go a little faster
Oh, and a F# (The middle one) on my piano is screwed... it sounds like it has full pedal all the time, hopefully it can be blamed a little...

As for how I learned the left hand, I just practiced for REALLY long (3 months until I could play full-speed, a couple more until there wasn't tons of errors). This song kinda took me to a new level, since nothing I had played before was near as hard.

And here is a guy that played in the show last year, he's quite good and got to the second round, so I just have to ask if I'm comparing to him :-\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agj86OGnoKw&translated=1
I don't aim to win, but I hope at least the judges will say that I played well... (they're 100% honest)

Seeker

Ah, much easier to hear. In general, the left hand sounds too heavy. By playing clearly, I mean things like making sure all the notes are distinct and sound clear. For example, it's a bit muddy at 1:23, when the melody gets covered by the left hand. It's even more apparent at 1:28.

Around 0:10, there's a melody note that is all but lost.
I wasn't sure what was going on at 0:44
At 1:47, you played the same descending line three times in a row exactly the same. Never do this. Ever. That is the perfect time for a crescendo.
At 2:08, your right hand drops a level in dynamics. The left hand is dropping too, but I don't think it's enough.
You should probably change the pedal before the chord at 2:16.

And don't worry. You do play well.

As for the other guy....
It sounds like he's using a lot of tricks to make himself sound more impressive than he is. Also, he is completely ignorant of the proper way to play large chords. The first statement is just my impression. However, I am almost positive of the second. However, his stunning clarity is undeniable. I don't think you're quite on his level. On the other hand, I think his level is slightly exaggerated.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Well, the guy exaggerates it because, first of all, it's his version. And it must be pretty good to get the most views for a SMG song on piano on YT. And his chords are just bringing the parts out, IMO. And, not being able to read sheets can put a damper on what you're able to play/hear/make.

Seeker

Quote from: universe-X on December 04, 2009, 02:44:53 PMWell, the guy exaggerates it because, first of all, it's his version. And it must be pretty good to get the most views for a SMG song on piano on YT. And his chords are just bringing the parts out, IMO. And, not being able to read sheets can put a damper on what you're able to play/hear/make.
I'm not talking about Tzohar. I'm talking about the other other guy.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Who? The one playing with the orchestra? I thought that was KHRZ? :P

EDIT: Now I know who you're talking about. The guy in the actual show? That was very exaggerated...

DOUBLE EDIT: Just heard the MP3. Really really slow, compared, to the actual video. No offense or anything, but that could've been taken a little faster.  :-\ Just my 2-bits.

KHRZ

Yeah I played quite slow in that recording, but I prefer to play a little faster than the real song, actually. I was thinking, "let's take this a little slow for once".

I have a little issue about the precast, since i want to play with the orchstra, and you only got 2.5 minutes, so I'll have to burn the song to CD, run right into and pop it in the CD-player and start playing, not much time for talk... or I could play without orchestra and just play a little faster. For the real audition on TV, I somehow doubt they will get permission to play the orchestra song anyway, what your guys opinion here? Would Nintendo allow that?

And while it sound more impressive with the orchestra, for me it makes it easier... so perhaps the judges would think I'm relying on it?

EDIT: So I sped the orchestra up 20% and burned it to a CD, it's 9 a.m. tomorrow, I'll report the judges' reactions back, though it says notification will be given within December 23rd.

KHRZ

OK results are in, short description..
Fail.

Oh well, so they started the CD, I told them I needed high volume but they put it waay low and I couldn't hear... so I got desynced often, and I wasn't able to think of the dynamics much... the judge didn't say if I was good or bad but he said there were many playing the piano and that the standard was very high.

Cobraroll

Aaaawww...

Anyway, knowing TV 2, they will make more seasons of a program as long as they get a two-digit number of viewers (even if those are all family of the producers, see Hotel Cæsar), so there will likely be many more chances to come. Better luck next time!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

It's definitely not your fault. The best thing is that you tried. At least you had the oppurtunity.  :)