News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

The Original Star Trek is pretty cheesy. Star Trek Voyager is my favorite. I recommend that if you want to watch any.
The movies are pretty good too.

Maelstrom

I recognized him, but not his name.
I am terrible with names.

Shadoninja

[Redacted]
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Saria

Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

Nebbles

4chan might make him scarred of everything ever tho
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

ZeldaFan

Well, my bf went for a "boy's night out" and left me home alone all night...

Anyone have ideas for what I can do? :-\

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

The Deku Trombonist

Find some cool new things to play on piano, perhaps?

KefkaticFanatic

Binge watch House of Cards like the rest of the cool people tonight

Also RIP Nimoy... I'm actually really sad about this one :<

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

me irl
[close]

DrP

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on February 27, 2015, 09:15:37 PMBinge watch House of Cards like the rest of the cool people tonight
Exactly what I've been doing.

So. Freaking. Good.

Ruto

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on February 27, 2015, 09:15:37 PMBinge watch House of Cards like the rest of the cool people tonight

Also RIP Nimoy... I'm actually really sad about this one :<

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

Wahhh...I only watched a little bit of Star Trek but really liked his cameos in The Simpsons and Futurama...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

GaryOak

I can't find my PS1's video cable.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

Clanker37

The following is a rant for the purposes of making me feel better. I apologize for this act of selfish graffiti, but I need to be angry at something. Ignore it if you want to.

So I had to do research on feminism and gender equality for a book we're reading in English. After learning more about Gamergate and learning of certain Reddit communities, my faith in humanity has officially left for Mars. It's gone. Bye, bye faith. Like...I can't even comprehend the circumstances in which some of these people formulate their arguments because they are beyond the point of insanity. And it's both sides! Extremist feminists just bash on men, while anti-feminists lack basic social and human understandings that a fucking tree has. Why can't they just apply the "Treat everyone as you wish to be treated rule" to everything. It's not that difficult! The majority of us seem to manage it well. I swear, need to punch someone in their genitalia.

TL;DR: The internet makes me mad.

Saria

You should read Emma Watson's speech on feminism. Here I took out a few excerpts that's relevant to your claim about bashing on men. And I think this is relevant why some men just seem insensitive.

Spoiler
"I was appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women six months ago. And, the more I spoke about feminism, the more I realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.

For the record, feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes.

Men, I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue, too. Because to date, I've seen my father's role as a parent being valued less by society, despite my need of his presence as a child, as much as my mother's. I've seen young men suffering from mental illness, unable to ask for help for fear it would make them less of a man. In fact, in the UK, suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20 to 49, eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I've seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don't have the benefits of equality, either.

We don't often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes, but I can see that they are, and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence. If men don't have to be aggressive in order to be accepted, women won't feel compelled to be submissive. If men don't have to control, women won't have to be controlled.

Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong. It is time that we all perceive gender on a spectrum, instead of two sets of opposing ideals. If we stop defining each other by what we are not, and start defining ourselves by who we are, we can all be freer, and this is what HeForShe is about. It's about freedom."
[close]
SARIABALL
cooperating anal

Clanker37

Oh, I've watched her speech. It was one of the most sane things I watched in the past few days. I didn't mean to imply that all feminists hate men, since that would be hypocrisy of the highest order, but I meant to convey my distaste for some really extreme feminist arguments. The worst, in particular, was one who claimed that all gay men are inherently sexist, because they hate vaginas therefore, they must hate women.

Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't actually read any feminist argument which I could call man-hating; only the arguments from the anti-feminists really made any point about man-hating...That annoys me.

Saria

...Wat that's just total nonsense. ._.

lf you want to read about feminism, you should look at speeches from the past. Women were treated worse back then and didn't speak lacking knowledge and lacking more extreme experiences. Most modern day speeches are ignorant because they lack the ethos (the spirit which motivates ideas and customs) because they didn't suffer as much as the women back then. Look at Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Sojourner Truth (who was born into slavery and suffered inequalities as a woman, yikes.)

TL;DR I'm not saying women don't suffer today. They definitely still have to face sexism, but it was worse back then and those women would most likely, let's say, "speak from the heart."

As for anti-feminists, I think they just think feminists hate all men. Like Emma Watson said, "feminism" appears to have become too synonymous to "man-hating."
SARIABALL
cooperating anal