News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

MasterProX

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 12, 2014, 02:51:13 AMI'm assuming honors class.

Bingo.

EDIT: Any help?

Ruto

Couldn't you take a bunch of pictures and just photoshop them together until it doesn't resemble any of the pictures anymore?

Otherwise, since I haven't read the book, I would need to know exactly what you want to draw >_>

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Mashi

I've not read the book either, unfortunately, so I'm not sure if I can be of much help, sorry!

Reading from just the Wikipedia article though, it seems that a prominent theme is a 'Sophie's Choice' being a choice between two bad options, or simply choosing the greater of two evils.  You could do something for that potentially.  As for the illustration on suffering, I suggest doing what Ruto recommends.  Like, maybe you could show a picture of Sophie's head and a word bubble saying "I'm feeling great!" and in a thought bubble, you could show a bunch of destructive imagery to reflect the chaos resulting from WWII.

Or maybe you could do a Before-After type thing with two completely different people and then convey how both of their lifestyles were completely altered in the After picture.

Just try to be creative with it!  Even though it's figurative, it's really still just an illustration.  An illustration in essence is already figurative; it's a picture, so there has to be meaning behind it, there being so few words (or even none at all!).  Go with Ruto's suggestion of Photoshop if you're not a proficient artist (or alternatively use GIMP or some other online source if you don't have Photoshop; Ruto would probably know more about this, I would imagine if she has more input).

Ruto

It looks like they made a movie of it. Maybe you can look at some of the film stills?

Also the stuff Mashi said.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 12, 2014, 02:51:13 AMI'm assuming honors class.

I mean...maybe our experience with honors classes has been different, but mine weren't filled with useless, irrelevant projects :/ I think really any level of class has the capacity for that, assuming that the teacher is horrible enough

SuperFireKirby

Yup, my AP US History class was 100% useless busy work.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 12, 2014, 03:31:15 PMI mean...maybe our experience with honors classes has been different, but mine weren't filled with useless, irrelevant projects :/ I think really any level of class has the capacity for that, assuming that the teacher is horrible enough
I don't consider reading a book and drawing a picture of it useless or irrevelant, but maybe that's just me.

FierceDeity

Well, considering the fact that English is a subject focusing on the analysis and employment of written language, we can definitely exclude visual art as a manner of writing. As for analysis, visual art is a particularly abstract medium, in which a minimal amount of thought about "meaning" can result in a very "meaningful" piece of art (depending on the spectator). And, since teachers generally try to be objective about grading such things, as long as it appears that you put a significant amount of effort into the actual creation of the artwork (the one part of the assignment with no relevance to the subject), you're probably fine. So, yes, I would definitely say that it is irrelevant, and unless you consider "bullshitting artwork based on flimsy literary evidence" to be a valuable skill in life, then it is useless, as well.

SuperFireKirby

Hey, not so fast. Bullshitting is one of the single most important skills in getting through your first 2 years of college.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FierceDeity

Hahahahahaha well, yeah. I did a lot of bullshitting in my two classes involving literature last semester (especially philosophy), but none of that involved drawing a fucking picture XD

MasterProX

I FINISHED THIS GODDAMNED THING.

EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS.

...I lost my colored pencils, so I had to make it black and white.  :-\

FierceDeity

SlowPokemon

Er, art is just as valid a medium as anything else. I'll admit though that it's really kiddie to draw a picture to represent understanding of a book (especially for an honors class).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 12, 2014, 11:46:21 PMshiz
I don't think their teacher would lower their score if the drawing quality is bad, since that'd be silly. I feel like the picture is meant to show the teacher that you've understood the book.

Tbh, I could very well see myself using this technique as a teacher. I wouldn't have to read that long essays. A picture is worth a thousand words

Also, what was the picture about?