The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PMYes. Especially so last year, when I was forced to visit one as part of a "Mobile Science Lab" program (and also for finals- fortunately, I didn't have to go there for finals this year, as the local campus was repurposed since the grades of the school were plummeting).
No, I mean, have you ever been educated in a public school? Like a member of a classroom.

SlowPokemon

All right, I'm responding to this and I won't respond to whatever misguided thing you post in answer.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PMNo they aren't, unless I'm not reading in-between lines that don't exist. If I recall correctly, your point is that "Home schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents," and "home-schooling does absolutely nothing to prepare you for the real world," both of which, I can assure you, are completely false.

You're correct, those are exactly the points I was trying to make. Your comments, that home-schooled students generally are better behaved and perform better academically than public school students, still have absolutely nothing to do with either point. Being "better behaved" has no correlation to having social skills, and academic work is only a tiny, tiny fraction of the real world.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PMYou're completely contradicting yourself here. If you whole point was about social skills, then why do you disagree when:
1: You say that it's not only about social skills.
2: That I say that your comment about social skills of homeschoolers isn't always true, and I know numerous public school kids, whether personally or indirectly, whose social skills are worse than my own- WHICH IS SAYING SOMETHING.

I'm not sure if you bothered to read all of the words in that sentence, but let me explain to you that when I said my point was not just about social skills (the key word being "just"), that implied that social skills had something to do with it. I made a brief point about such things and then essentially said "that's only a part of the problem." There is no contradiction here. As for your second statement, I really can't understand what you're trying to say, due to either poor grammar or poor thought process. I can at least tell that you're referencing your comment "to be honest, I've met and known public school kids who have worse social skills than I do- and that's saying something," and that still has no place in this argument. Anecdotes aren't scientific. And I don't believe anyone claimed going to public school automatically makes you a social butterfly.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PMUnfortunately, homeschooling doesn't have me believe that the world is black and white. You also seem to be implying that I have absolutely no experience with anything aside from my family and education, in which case, you're gonna have a bad time.
Apparently, you completely missed that I said "which is likely to be a problem if I didn't have such a desire." I was talking about myself. I wasn't talking about other homeschoolers or public school students. I don't see how you can even think that it's out of place, especially given what your points apparently are (or "aren't").

The problem with talking about yourself (as you seem to enjoy doing) is that no one else is doing so. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm talking about a very big scale here, BlackDragonSlayer, not you. This isn't a personal attack on you, nor does it even necessarily concern you. That's why your comments are out of place. If you'd like me to bring you into my argument, I must say that your insufferable (and quite unfounded) superiority complex isn't doing much for your point.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PMIt's funny how you're blaming me of doing that, when that's essentially all you're doing. No, that IS the ONLY thing that you're doing. Not to mention the fact that you obviously know more about homeschool and its results, good or bad, than me. Of course you do. Why wouldn't you. ::) I have no reason to doubt you at all. I might as well give up, because I am just an ignorant imbecile who knows nothing. Yep.
You have nothing to back up your point aside from bias and assumptions.

I see. The sudden tone shift here is very amusing. Suddenly it's even more arrogant than is the norm for you. I think I might have struck a nerve that suddenly brought out that immaturity, but w/e. I have a close friend who was home-schooled until grade 10 with whom I've talked extensively about this. I'm not just making assumptions, lol. I daresay I think you might be a teensy bit more biased than I. ;)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Yugi

I'm starting School again tomorrow.

at the ultra elitist private school which only accepts the top 120 scorers on a test

SuperFireKirby

Jesus, I make one little stab at home schooling and the whole thing blows up like this. Don't you guys have anything more productive to do than make walls of text pointlessly arguing at each other?

Let's just say you're both wrong and leave it at that.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

mikey

Yay arguments!
I think the type of schooling really doesn't make a difference xD
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 28, 2014, 11:10:56 PMNo, I mean, have you ever been educated in a public school? Like a member of a classroom.
Only in kindergarten, but my older brother was in until 2nd grade. Both of my half-siblings were completely schooled in public school. One of the reasons I was taken out is because the teachers didn't like how our mother was teaching us basic math (among other things) before we were taught it in school (a similar experience to Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird). In short, we've just had negative experiences with public schooling. :P

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 28, 2014, 11:22:32 PMYou're correct, those are exactly the points I was trying to make. Your comments, that home-schooled students generally are better behaved and perform better academically than public school students, still have absolutely nothing to do with either point. Being "better behaved" has no correlation to having social skills, and academic work is only a tiny, tiny fraction of the real world.
Actually, yes, it does relate to the point, just in a way that's apparently flying completely over your head, as with everything else I say. You say that your point is about social skills right here, yet below, you say that that is NOT, in fact, entirely what your point is about (which is what I'm saying and doing). You say something, and then you literally say something the next sentence that contradicts it- it seems as if, in this case, you're being selective with you "point" so you can ignore whatever arguments of mine that you want.

QuoteAnecdotes aren't scientific.
This is probably one of the worst arguments I have ever seen from anybody, especially in a situation such as this, in which anecdotes are the most important points of information. In essence, you're saying that what I'm saying isn't true, or holds no relevance, despite the fact that that is what my knowledge basis is on (and is quite an extensive basis on this subject, not only from my own experiences, but also talking to others and reading about others about their experiences). You're using this because you can't back up anything you have to say.

QuoteAnd I don't believe anyone claimed going to public school automatically makes you a social butterfly.
Just in case you forget what was said earlier:
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 28, 2014, 10:18:11 PMHome schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents.
I never said that you had said that going to public school makes you social, but I was merely refuting the opposite of that argument (e.g. that homeschool kids aren't social, which is your main point, but isn't). It really irks me when people (and people do it a lot, unfortunately) completely throw a statement (whether my own or somebody else's) to one drastic side of an argument.

QuoteThe problem with talking about yourself (as you seem to enjoy doing) is that no one else is doing so. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm talking about a very big scale here, BlackDragonSlayer, not you. This isn't a personal attack on you, nor does it even necessarily concern you. That's why your comments are out of place. If you'd like me to bring you into my argument, I must say that your insufferable (and quite unfounded) superiority complex isn't doing much for your point.
The whole argument started from something I said (or rather, SFK responding to something I said). I'm talking about myself because that's what the argument started from- what it involves. I can speak from personal experience to support myself. If I didn't have any personal experience about the subject, I wouldn't be talkign about it, now would I?
Quite frankly, this quote in particular is quite frivolous because you're essentially trying to make it seem as if you never meant that this and all of this were directed at me at all, and just "happened" to involve me because I just "happened" to make a response or two to what I felt were completely and insulting biased posts.

QuoteI see. The sudden tone shift here is very amusing. Suddenly it's even more arrogant than is the norm for you. I think I might have struck a nerve that suddenly brought out that immaturity, but w/e. I have a close friend who was home-schooled until grade 10 with whom I've talked extensively about this. I'm not just making assumptions, lol. I daresay I think you might be a teensy bit more biased than I. ;)
I edited that in: the only original part was "It's funny how you're blaming me of doing that, when that's essentially all you're doing. No, that IS the ONLY thing that you're doing." And the reason I edited that in was because of your own "superiority complex" and "immaturity," because, as I said, all you're doing is listening to your own arguments... and yet accuse me of doing the exact same thing! Perhaps it was because my head was hurting from banging my head against the wooden desk, but I found it to be a fitting response to your hypocritical attitude.
I'm the first one to joke about how much of a hermit I am, but your comments came off as (and still do) uneducated about the subject matter and even a bit overly critical and completely insulting, if even towards homeschool in general (as if you were saying that homeschool is a bad method of education, or at least inadequate compared to others). I at least tried to start the debate off on a slightly more friendly note (rather, one that wasn't complete flaming).
As I have said above and before, my experience with homeschool isn't limited to my own- we know several families who have had experiences with both public and home school, as well as a few that have been homeschooling for quite a while (even longer than us).

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 28, 2014, 11:57:19 PMJesus, I make one little stab at home schooling and the whole thing blows up like this. Don't you guys have anything more productive to do than make walls of text pointlessly arguing at each other?
This would be a lovely debate if it didn't fall down to the level of insults. :P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

I think home schooled kids are missing out on great fun that's in the comprehensive/high school(idk which one 15-year olds go in the US).

And I can't imagine my life without social relationships with my age-group. It would literally be the worst thing ever.

@Slow, stop. You're above his level.

Basically every argument war ever in a nutshell
1: omg yellow socks are ugly
2. no they're not blaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaablaa
3: dude they're just socks
2: you're not making any sense
[close]

spitllama

Guys. If a family wants to homeschool, they can homeschool. Just leave it be. It doesn't affect you.

And instead of making blanket statements about "homeschoolers" why not just meet them as individuals and judge later?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

Lololol that was the most amusing refutation I've ever seen
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

braix

I think just sending your kids to school would be way easier to "deal with them" than to homeschool them. :P
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 29, 2014, 05:28:23 AM@Slow, stop. You're above his level.
XD

Yes, because insulting people and things is on a very high level.

Quote from: spitllama on January 29, 2014, 07:12:43 AMAnd instead of making blanket statements about "homeschoolers" why not just meet them as individuals and judge later?
This is one of the reasons I was so outraged in the first place, and made my initial response (to SFK). I just couldn't stand unsupported bashing of the education method, given that it is the method I am involved with and know quite well.

I think this is a good way to conclude the argument:
This article
This one
Certainly this one
And this one

Off course, although I say they do relate to the point of the debate in the first place, they probably don't... :P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

I for one don't think Slow is above your level. I think you two are on the exact same level. Of course, my opinion might defer if I were to actually read that whole last page, but I've better things to do. Like Trigonometry. And Starbound.

But mostly Starbound.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

Uhh thanks for commenting on all the pictures FD xD even I didn't pay that much attention to it.

I'm not saying that homeschooling is bad for everyone. Irene Curie was homeschooled but her mother was Marie Curie for god's sake. There's no question of that quality of education, but many people can't say the same, or we would see more ten year olds go to college.

It's just that maybe half of them are getting a decent, comparable education, and the other half are being taught useless pseudoscience and certain political views. Here's an example. What about that other kid on the forum a while back who was arguing with me about how superior his homeschooling was? But had a poor grasp of things being said...or how all other views were totally wrong without any proof?

For social interactions it varies with everyone, but I notice some people are never able to leave their comfort zones after they've been homeschooled.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.