The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

I just minced an onion for the first time ever.
Never again.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

KefkaticFanatic

That, plus herbs and garlic and ginger etc etc is why I bought one of these:

me irl
[close]

FierceDeity

So, skeptical of the claims of my fellow students that my school's Student Health Center is incompetent as shit, I paid them a visit concerning my recent bout of stomach flu. Here's roughly what was said when I was first put into a room with the nurse:

Nurse: "What's the reason for your visit today?"
Me: "Stomach flu."
Nurse: "What's that?"
Me: "...I'm sorry?"
Nurse: "What's the stomach flu?"
Me: *screams internally*

No, not "What symptoms have you been experiencing?" Just "What's the stomach flu?"

Listen, I know you're not the doctor, and so I don't expect you to have a plethora of medical knowledge, but I think that basic knowledge of common illnesses should be a prerequisite for nursing anywhere.

Which brings me to the doctor, who one would expect to have a plethora of medical knowledge.

From what I've heard, the doctors at our student health center have been known to look up symptoms on WebMD before. I do not know if this doctor was doing that, but she seemed rather focused on her computer monitor as she was telling me the basic advice that practically anybody knows to give to stomach flu patients anywhere. When I asked her a specific question involving recommended usage of probiotics, her answer was: "I don't have very much knowledge on this subject; if you've prior experience with this, I'd recommend doing whatever's been helpful in the past."

Yes, doctor, because the average stomach flu patient is both educated enough and in the right state of mind to be able to distinguish "what is helpful" from random correlation. That set aside, why is it that I, a first-year music major in college with only two years of high school biology under my belt, have more knowledge of bacterial function in the digestive system and medications that impact it, than you, a supposedly licensed medical doctor?

braix

Quote from: FierceDeity on April 09, 2014, 03:50:23 PMMe: "Stomach flu."
Nurse: "What's that?"
Me: "...I'm sorry?"
Nurse: "What's the stomach flu?"
Your school nurses sound kinda weird. :I
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

mikey

unmotivated

Ruto

I've never heard the term stomach flu used here. It's stomach virus or sometimes food poisoning (even though I think they're different things, they're used interchangably?). But I guess if I never get another degree, I can work as one of those inept nurses at student health centers :P And still do a better job, which would get me promoted and maybe get me an honorary degree that I don't have to pay for.

My sister took a snapchat of the doctor looking up pictures of a virus on google because he's apparently never seen a case of it in his career...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on April 09, 2014, 07:27:32 PMI've never heard the term stomach flu used here. It's stomach virus or sometimes food poisoning (even though I think they're different things, they're used interchangably?).
Even so, the proper response is not, "What?"
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 09, 2014, 07:18:58 PMNEVER AGAIN
My eyes hurt. QQ
And I almost cut my finger off, too...I need to learn how to use a kitchen knife.

Ruto

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on April 09, 2014, 07:35:06 PMEven so, the proper response is not, "What?"

Lol I'm not defending her, that was still really unprofessional xD

Quote from: zoroark1264 on April 09, 2014, 07:41:07 PMMy eyes hurt. QQ
And I almost cut my finger off, too...I need to learn how to use a kitchen knife.

The easy thing to remember is not to get any fingers near a knife xD I gave myself a little cut when I was just washing one before -.-

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

FierceDeity

step 1: keep your fingers on the side you're not cutting
step 2: only cut away/outward from your body

If you have still hurt yourself cutting produce, you are a wizard.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on April 09, 2014, 08:18:15 PMstep 1: keep your fingers on the side you're not cutting
step 2: only cut away/outward from your body

If you have still hurt yourself cutting produce, you are a wizard.
lol what if they were using a paring knife and they accidentally cut too far in?
unmotivated

braix

mikey

unmotivated

Bubbles

I went to my sister's middle school play tonight, and there was surprisingly a kid from my current school there.  I've wanted to get closer to him for a while, and I think the feeling is somewhat mutual. The problem is, I can't go up and talk with someone unless we make eye contact first. It's ridiculous, but I can't do it. So the whole night I kept trying to catch his eye and I saw him doing it too until I left without ever talking. Now he probably thinks I'm a snob and I've been beating myself up all night for being a wimp