News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on January 21, 2015, 05:40:29 PMYou do realize IQs that high often come with an autistic spectrum disorder?
Yeah I think most people realize that
although in some cases like Christopher Langdon he's just genius
unmotivated

Mashi

Quote from: Ruto on January 21, 2015, 05:11:20 PM"Female" reduces a woman to her biological gender. Use the correct term. You're talking about people here. It's surprising to me that this isn't commonly known?
Sorry, I don't really follow what you mean.  Male and female both refer to biological sex (at least according to the dictionary), don't they?  I don't understand how either is demeaning, could you explain more in depth?

Ruto

Quote from: Mashi on January 21, 2015, 07:05:56 PMSorry, I don't really follow what you mean.  Male and female both refer to biological sex (at least according to the dictionary), don't they?  I don't understand how either is demeaning, could you explain more in depth?

I can use females to refer to a bunch of cows (biologically speaking, they're all females). But if you want to specifically refer to human females, use the terms women or girls, because people aren't just a biological sex.

This one guy on facebook posted a meme that said something like "Men are like this, but females are like this..." That's pretty insulting that he can't even acknowledge us as humans like he does for men!

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

When you refer to "females" doing things, it takes away the human factor that the term "women" would have.  The appropriate (but bizarre) equivalent would be saying "female women", as by saying "females" you are just plain referencing the entire gender, no matter the species.  You can obviously see where this can become a negative or somewhat offensive.

me irl
[close]

Ruto

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 21, 2015, 07:15:01 PMUh, I fail to see a difference :(

1) Go to a women's studies class.
2) Say to the professor (most likely a woman) "I appreciate the work of females in the field, like you."

The problem should fix itself.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Bubbles

I see how it can be offensive but honestly I've never even thought of it that way until now :/ I'd be more offended at someone calling me "woman" (not a woman) than a female, since that'd just be weird

mikey

Doesn't your driver's license say Male or Female?
In fact the only instance I can think of that doesn't use male or female is pokemon
unmotivated

Nebbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 21, 2015, 08:13:30 PMDoesn't your driver's license say Male or Female?
In fact the only instance I can think of that doesn't use male or female is pokemon

That refers to biological sex, which is male or female.

Gender is more so what a person feels. A person can be biologically male, but they might identify as a girl or something else, so their gender doesn't equate their sex. That's all there is to it.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

I wouldn't call it that. That's actually pretty rude to belittle someone's identity like that. It might be a new concept for you, but don't judge it so harshly.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Nebbles on January 21, 2015, 08:15:24 PMThat refers to biological sex, which is male or female.

Gender is more so what a person feels. A person can be biologically male, but they might identify as a girl or something else, so their gender doesn't equate their sex. That's all there is to it.
Quote from: Definition of "Gender"the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

K-NiGhT

are you trying to prove nebbles wrong or something cuz you're doing an awful job
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: K-NiGhT on January 21, 2015, 09:41:17 PMare you trying to prove nebbles wrong or something cuz you're doing an awful job
Quote from: Definition of "Awful"very bad or unpleasant.
why does nobody have no idea what words mean theyre always misusing them
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber