The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesomeYears

Dang, that's really horrible. How long were you friends for?

Pianist Da Sootopolis

about a year and a half, I'd say? Don't quite remember honestly.
what is shitpost

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FierceDeity

So my friend and I have been apartment hunting for the past month or two because we were tired of student housing and kept hearing good stories from everyone about how comparatively cheap they were getting off campus apartments. We finally found one we really liked about a week ago, and jumped right on the opportunity, thinking we'd be backed with my friend's family friend in Connecticut as the guarantor, as they'd agreed to do so. But they dropped out last minute, and we got rejected.

So now, we've been having to apply with my parents (who only make half as much as they'd need to be our guarantor) and his parents (who live in Panama) as potential guarantors, and the place we're currently applying to is asking for the whole year's rent in advance. And it's turning out to actually be more expensive than student housing.

Fuck.

mikey

unmotivated

Ruto

Quote from: FierceDeity on August 05, 2015, 05:13:14 PMSo my friend and I have been apartment hunting for the past month or two because we were tired of student housing and kept hearing good stories from everyone about how comparatively cheap they were getting off campus apartments. We finally found one we really liked about a week ago, and jumped right on the opportunity, thinking we'd be backed with my friend's family friend in Connecticut as the guarantor, as they'd agreed to do so. But they dropped out last minute, and we got rejected.

So now, we've been having to apply with my parents (who only make half as much as they'd need to be our guarantor) and his parents (who live in Panama) as potential guarantors, and the place we're currently applying to is asking for the whole year's rent in advance. And it's turning out to actually be more expensive than student housing.

Fuck.

I'm fairly certain someone in my building is running an airbnb out of his/her overpriced apartment. There are different people coming in and out of the building, sometimes with suitcases. If all else fails, my friend is a decent landlord and owns a few places in Queens. Also I know people who aren't violent mobsters so maybe as a last resort...

Also, a lot of people in my building (mostly old, me included) live in rent stabilized apartments. You're far from running out of options. I think demanding  a year of rent upfront is out of the question and you should take it to the city...I'm always trying to sock it to the landlord, the bastard with a bad tan, so go ahead and complain to the city about possible violations.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

KefkaticFanatic

Ya, in many cities it's illegal to ask for anything more than 1 month of rent as deposit, I'd check renters laws if you get some shady deal like that.

me irl
[close]

Jamaha

Oh the joys of apartment hunting. I've got 5 more months in my current one until they kick me out. Need to find a suitable replacement by then.

Of course every available apartment is 1) smaller 2) more expensive 3) further away from work. So I'm not really looking forward to moving out.

ZeldaFan

Speaking of apartments, I'm going to be living with roommates (read: strangers) for the first time in my life... 3 other girls in my apt, each with their own room. The thing is, I don't get along with other girls that well... It's just hard to relate to them because I'm not "girly" at all... I would say I act lady-like, but I'm into cars and motorcycles and video games which I'm assuming none of them will be. Guess I'll find out in the next couple weeks.

At least I'll be on the top floor with a view of Utah Lake :)
And rent will be about $50 cheaper

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

FierceDeity

Quote from: Ruto on August 06, 2015, 12:30:08 AMI'm fairly certain someone in my building is running an airbnb out of his/her overpriced apartment. There are different people coming in and out of the building, sometimes with suitcases. If all else fails, my friend is a decent landlord and owns a few places in Queens. Also I know people who aren't violent mobsters so maybe as a last resort...

Also, a lot of people in my building (mostly old, me included) live in rent stabilized apartments. You're far from running out of options. I think demanding  a year of rent upfront is out of the question and you should take it to the city...I'm always trying to sock it to the landlord, the bastard with a bad tan, so go ahead and complain to the city about possible violations.

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on August 06, 2015, 12:32:40 AMYa, in many cities it's illegal to ask for anything more than 1 month of rent as deposit, I'd check renters laws if you get some shady deal like that.

The problem is, the landlord isn't officially asking for it. It's being moderated by brokers, and since we were initially rejected due to our guarantor situation, our broker suggested offering that ourselves, considering we're likely to be rejected from most apartments in our situation (and have been thus far)

And ultimately, we're able to pay it; it caused some serious sticker shock with my parents, but they've been saving up for situations like this, and we would've had to pay just as much in the long run anyways, so it's not an unbearable burden.

Ruto

Here's the thing. You don't need a broker to help you with rent you. Definitely not a native thing people normally do...Buying, yes. Renting, no. -.-

I've been cleaning for the past 2-3 hours and have been sneezing the whole time. I'd stare at the mirror and sing that red nose reindeer song but it's summer.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

KefkaticFanatic

Highly unwise to pay that much rent upfront.  You become much more susceptible to a sketchy landlord and/or dubious apartment conditions that when not properly dealt with you would normally have the option of withholding rent to ensure resolution.  Many other related issues as well.

me irl
[close]

Hero of Trains

What!? Phineas and Ferb ended! How?! I mean, the kid I interrogated at the pool said so, but I chose not to believe him. How is this possible? That show has been going on for as long as I can remember!  The last episode was really good though. But whyyyyyyy?!
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

ZeldaFan

Seriously that was one of the best cartoons I've ever seen...  :'( so much original and good music...

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Hero of Trains

I know, it was my favorite cartoon as a kid. It was funny, but also had some parts that were really sweet. Also, Perry is my spirit animal.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back