News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oronoco

Quote from: Bubbles on January 22, 2016, 08:00:13 PMBasically what I'm wondering is if there's a point where the usefulness of theory is overshadowed by the specifics and definitions that seem almost made up to explain why a piece of music flows. I know theory is really important in all types of music, but is there a point where it just goes too far just to be all encompassing?

I think there's a point. Or, maybe it's more like a large smear because it's not so well-defined. But on one side of the point, we're lost without the specifics, and on the other side, the specifics get in the way. That point changes between different people and circumstances. So, if you've found where that point is for you, I don't think it's a bad thing.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

FireArrow

Music theory is only really needed for composition, though it does make arranging (particularly those chords you've always said you stuggle with!) loads easier. As for performing, it helps to know what goes on in a sonata, fugue, etc. is before you play one.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bubbles

Quote from: FireArrow on January 22, 2016, 09:21:49 PMMusic theory is only really needed for composition, though it does make arranging (particularly those chords you've always said you stuggle with!) loads easier. As for performing, it helps to know what goes on in a sonata, fugue, etc. is before you play one.
Oh yeah the chords are really helpful so far, that was my main reason for taking this class. There's just a lot of extra fluff thrown into the lessons that bothers me and that I can't see being useful for anything besides giving things definitions

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 22, 2016, 08:23:02 PMYou've said enough.

Quantum Field Theory.

Also music theory is infinitely helpful for understanding on any level how music works. It's not strictly necessary or word of God, exactly, but I wouldn't write it off like that. There are a LOT of incredible benefits that come with an understanding of music theory.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Quote from: Bubbles on January 22, 2016, 09:44:00 PMOh yeah the chords are really helpful so far, that was my main reason for taking this class. There's just a lot of extra fluff thrown into the lessons that bothers me and that I can't see being useful for anything besides giving things definitions

Well, when things get more complicated how else could they build on a previous concept if it wasn't defined beforehand? I'm sure a lot of people understand the concept of addition before it's presented to them in school, but that doesn't make it any less necessary to teach.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jamaha

So here I am, writing a conference paper on a Sunday evening. Of course I could have done that already by Friday. But the deadline is today at 2 am so obviously I had to do the smart thing and become very lazy.

Unfortunately my supervisor is a coauthor on the paper so he will get an email when I submit the paper. I'm sure he won't say anything about the peculiar submission date...

Pianist Da Sootopolis

@Discussion on music theory- It's a great tool for memorization and performance, and as Slow said there is an enormous slew of benefits that come with memorizing it (not least composing and analysis of various composer's styles). There's a reason they have you do a lot of it at conservatories.
@Jamaha I'd imagine that as long as you get it in, he wouldn't be too upset?
what is shitpost

Nebbles

Had to shovel at least a foot of snow off my car, and my arms feel like jelly.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Ruto

Quote from: Jamaha on January 24, 2016, 10:55:29 AMSo here I am, writing a conference paper on a Sunday evening. Of course I could have done that already by Friday. But the deadline is today at 2 am so obviously I had to do the smart thing and become very lazy.

Unfortunately my supervisor is a coauthor on the paper so he will get an email when I submit the paper. I'm sure he won't say anything about the peculiar submission date...

If it's really due Sunday, you can blame me for distracting you all week :D

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Jamaha

Submitted. There was a "Email authors" checkbox I could uncheck \o/

Quote from: Ruto on January 24, 2016, 01:58:32 PMIf it's really due Sunday, you can blame me for distracting you all week :D

Yep, blaming you.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 24, 2016, 11:03:05 AM@Jamaha I'd imagine that as long as you get it in, he wouldn't be too upset?

Wasn't really expecting him to be upset, just wanted to avoid the snarky comments regarding my scheduling ability.

Altissimo

ffffffffffffffuck i'm so not good enough at ear training for this shit :( /panicking

Ruto

Quote from: Jamaha on January 24, 2016, 02:05:30 PMSubmitted. There was a "Email authors" checkbox I could uncheck \o/

Yep, blaming you.

Wasn't really expecting him to be upset, just wanted to avoid the snarky comments regarding my scheduling ability.

Hehehe that's not really professional :P you're not a kid after all!

Ohh but I really felt like a kid since you took me to the zoo for a nice adventure despite the lack of bears. Aaaaand picking me up from the mall everyday.

E. Gadd Industries

Ugh. My parents made me waste over half the day shopping... -_- I don't like shopping, especially when it wastes my valuable time.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Ruto

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on January 25, 2016, 05:17:58 PMUgh. My parents made me waste over half the day shopping... -_- I don't like shopping, especially when it wastes my valuable time.

sorry you havent cured cancer yet