News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

@on the headphone discussion, earpods' price-quality is great and they're iconic, was my point. There's no reason to avoid them like plague imo
also been drooling after a pair of these for so long now, one day

Quote from: Zunawe on January 29, 2016, 10:07:06 AMAI will always be inferior to human players because their tactics are predictable. Even if you don't realize you're predicting them. The biggest difference in levels of AI is nothing more than the time between their actions and the number of actions they take in a string. There's no metagame with bots, and bots have no recovery.
Isn't today's chess AI better than any human alive though?

Dudeman

There was also that recent news that the AI Google's been developing beat the European Go champion five games in a row. Go was considered to be unable to be learned by a computer and played effectively.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Zunawe

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 29, 2016, 10:14:49 AMalways is a strong word, man.  At some point true AI may end up existing, but for now the closest thing we have is like big blue or something xD
AI in the specific case of Smash Bros.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

There's this "learning AI" that was used to play Super Mario World that I found interesting. While it doesn't play the game the most efficiently, it starts from having no idea how to play the game to rushing straight through levels. Not strictly relevant, but something I found interesting regardless.

Although computers can have more "brainpower" than humans, it's not fully utilized in video game AI since it would probably be unnecessary, would take up a lot of space, would take plenty of time to program in, etc. Plus, people like games where they can win, no? That's not to say that the developers of a game could take some time to integrate more sophisticated AI.

mikey

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 29, 2016, 10:30:11 AMIsn't today's chess AI better than any human alive though?
the reason chess is such a great example is because the AI can perform ridiculous amounts of algorithms to discover any number of winning patterns based on the current game state.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on January 29, 2016, 10:44:44 AMThere's this "learning AI" that was used to play Super Mario World that I found interesting. While it doesn't play the game the most efficiently, it starts from having no idea how to play the game to rushing straight through levels. Not strictly relevant, but something I found interesting regardless.

Although computers can have more "brainpower" than humans, it's not fully utilized in video game AI since it would probably be unnecessary, would take up a lot of space, would take plenty of time to program in, etc. Plus, people like games where they can win, no? That's not to say that the developers of a game could take some time to integrate more sophisticated AI.
computers can't think.
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Yeah that's my point, if a machine can one day come up with every possible opportunity to beat a human, how could a human stand a chance on a larger scale?

InsigTurtle

I'm not saying that they can "think", I'm saying that they can be used to analyze what is happening and change their behaviour as a result.

ZeldaFan

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Dude

Regarding super Mario 64 and speedruns...

https://youtu.be/kpk2tdsPh0A

This video is really interesting.

InsigTurtle

^ that video has become an inside joke in my group of friends :P

Dude

InsigTurtle

Ah, I did think it had quite a bit of memetic potential. What with those 2.5 A presses and such. :P

Dudeman

...how does a speedrun explanation become a meme?

btw that run is mindblowingly wtf
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

Dudeman