The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

I'm throwing out due to specific portions of it. My friend told me a way to tie them both together and it's interesting to think of it that way, but I'm still not believing. I'm just being cautious (maybe a little too cautious) and I don't just want to accept absolutely everything that goes my way. And yes, I was over-reacting because everything in my head sounds a lot bigger than it is.

Altissimo

[4/23/16 10:29:07 PM] Altissimo: i fucked up my second recital piece :(
[4/23/16 10:29:28 PM] Altissimo: fingers got flustered and i just lost it
[4/23/16 10:30:06 PM] Altissimo: i had to stop and sigh and reorient myself before continuing, from a phrase beginning to boot
[4/23/16 10:30:58 PM] Altissimo: im disappoint

more specifically, im disappoint because a) this was my last performance of the year and b) it was Scott Joplin's Easy Winners which is the most fun piece under the sun and I wanted to do it justice because of that but NNNNOPE

i feel like i disappointed my piano teacher too, i mean she didn't seem disappointed when i talked to her but i haven't fucked up anywhere near that bad before

Pianist Da Sootopolis

It's okay. Everyone has experiences like that, especially if you've got any kind of performance anxiety. The good news is that the more you perform, the easier it gets (most of the time). You'll do really good next time around, I'm sure :)
What was the other piece? Was it the Schubert moment musical (A flat major?) you shared with us on I believe the listening thread?
what is shitpost

Altissimo

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on April 23, 2016, 07:56:22 PMIt's okay. Everyone has experiences like that, especially if you've got any kind of performance anxiety. The good news is that the more you perform, the easier it gets (most of the time). You'll do really good next time around, I'm sure :)

I don't know if I have any more performances (I'm going to grad school for music theory), that's the reason I'm sad about this one not going well :(

QuoteWhat was the other piece? Was it the Schubert moment musical (A flat major?) you shared with us on I believe the listening thread?

Yes! That one had a few mistakes but nothing too bad.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Even as a theory major, you still have to do piano proficiency classes IIRC, which at some schools involve performances, and some schools just have final adjudications. But who knows, you may have one in the future. At the very least, you've gained some kind of experience if you're ever interested in performing again.
Wish I could've heard the Schubert. Great piece, and I'm sure you played it well :)
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Some of my final requirements in piano proficiency were to accompany a solo instrument, perform several solo works (some from memory), and pass off all major and natural minor scales, although this all sounds like more work than it really was.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on April 23, 2016, 08:08:56 PMEven as a theory major, you still have to do piano proficiency classes IIRC, which at some schools involve performances, and some schools just have final adjudications. But who knows, you may have one in the future. At the very least, you've gained some kind of experience if you're ever interested in performing again.

Actually in grad school, I don't know. I have to pass a piano proficiency but I don't think classes are required for that if I can pass like the skills test or whatever. Regardless, you're right that this may not be the least performance haha... I'm just sad my last performance of undergrad was a low note (literally, D-flat below the bass clef).

Olimar12345

Oh wow I misread the previous comment and my post makes like no sense lol. Disregard it I guess lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

SlowPokemon

I mean don't non piano majors just have to do scales like really simple and slow

I had to do them all at 90 bpm over four octaves
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

I thought you were supposed to do them that way if you're playing anything past level 7?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I was told it's quarter at 120, in sixteenth notes, in four octaves. That's how I've been practicing mine at any rate.
Some university students get their scales ridiculously fast, like Josh Wright (who doesn't even work super hard on scales)

Start at 1:48. He demonstrates both the wrong and right way to play scales XD
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

I only had to do 90 bpm but 48 scales at that tempo back to back killed me I haven't played my scales since I passed that
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

It seems (though please correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be more of a mental challenge than a physical one.
what is shitpost

Nebbles

It can be physical too, depending if you've got any ailments with your hands or fingers.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel