Endings

Started by Cobraroll, May 02, 2010, 06:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you arrange endings for pieces which normally doesn't have them?

Yes
3 (23.1%)
No
7 (53.8%)
Sometimes
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Cobraroll

Oh, no, not another rant...

Don't worry, this is just a question:

Basically, the vast majority of game music consists of loops, starting with a small intro, then looping for all eternity.

Due to practical reasons, arrangements of this music have to stop somewhere. In the sheets, this is often illustrated by a repeat, and players have to decide for themselves how many times they want to play the loops. So far, so good.
But as said, it all has to end. And that's where the question comes along.

Arrangers, do you prefer to make an ending for everlooping pieces, or just let it "die" after the (optional) last repeat?

Not making an ending would be more realistic, seeing as the original theme just keeps going, and stops only when you exit the actual area or turn off the game.

On the other hand, it often sounds a lot better if the tune has a proper ending, and just doesn't stop after a lead-up to another repeat, like the sheets tend to do.

Of course, people can make their own endings if they so want. That's another fact to consider.

What do you think?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

I always try to make an appropriate ending (although a lot of my arrangments don't have one :( ). But I fully agree with you Cobraroll, every arrangment sounds much better with a great ending.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

Because of the nature of my arrangements, I have to create an ending.

I think people should at least create an optional coda for a series of repeats.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Brassman388

Well, it all depends on the arrangement.

If you can't think of an ending, there's really nothing you can do. Some songs, on the other hand, may just have an ending quality to them. While on the flipside, some may not even sound like they could end.

In the end, it just takes a bit more creativity and effort to create an actual ending. Which to some might be hard because you're asking an arranger to compose.

For me, If I can, I will.

Nintendude73

I don't really understand the point of this topic.  :P

Are you just curious of people's opinions on endings in songs?

universe-X

I think songs should have endings.

Fox IV

I prefer endings unless the arranger doesn't know how to make it end.  Then I'd rather have a loop than a bad ending.  But the problem I have is when I'm playing for someone and I don't know how to make it end--would be much nicer if there was a real ending.

Maretocks

Although I don't arrange, I personally prefer a repeat sign at the end of the song. For example, my sheet for Kakariko Village says "continue forever." :P I think it gives freedom for the pianist to create their own ending that suits their interpretation of the song. Of course, if the arranger wants to put a coda after a repeat sign, that's almost like a "suggestion" as to how to end it.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>