News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Macs Vs. PCs

Started by Sir Awesomesauce, May 07, 2010, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Awesomesauce

A lot of people ask "Which is better?" and a lot of people respond "Oh, Macs are better for artistic stuff like photo manipulation, and PCs are better for business."

What is the deal, I've never understood that response. Can somebody explain it to me?

Also, WHICH IS BETTER?
You should read my post, it's probably above this.

raymondbl

Mac is definitely better.

They have a point, that Windows is better for business stuff.  Like, look at microsoft office word, and all the microsoft office stuff.  I think it's way better than mac, it has better powerpoint, word processing stuff, etc. than mac.  that's why it's better for business.  But then, Macs run faster + cleaner and that's why they're good at running high-drain programs like finale, photoshop, etc. sometimes they come with something similar to audacity - I think it's garbage band or something... Mac also doesn't have lots of viruses... windows is a virus magnet (most viruses are .exe and only windows run .exe).  so Mac is better, still, plus because of the old microsoft office 2008 for mac.  I heard that it sucks, though... oh well.  so there it is. Lol I am all about computers... can't wait to get a macbook pro!

Sir Awesomesauce

Macs can't run Microsoft Office programs. Got it.

Windows is slower. Got it.

*takes notes*

Maretocks

Quote from: raymondbl on May 07, 2010, 07:23:24 PMGarage Band.*

PC's are also way more suitable for gaming. A lot of games aren't compatible with Mac; my friend had to double partition his Macbook and put Windows Vista on it to play Oblivion, as well as the Mac OS.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

KefkaticFanatic

OS/Console wars are childish.  Each serves a different purpose and appeals to different people.

me irl
[close]

Maretocks

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 07, 2010, 09:05:49 PMOS/Console wars are childish.  Each serves a different purpose and appeals to different people.
That's what we're getting at. The pros and cons of each.

Quote from: raymondbl on May 07, 2010, 07:23:24 PMMac is definitely better.
Except for this. :P
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Jamaha

Quote from: Sir Awesomesauce on May 07, 2010, 07:49:07 PMMacs can't run Microsoft Office programs. Got it.

They actually can, there is a Mac version of Office.

For me Mac > PC, definitely. Ever since I got my Mac I haven't even thought of using Windows again. Of course that might have something to do with the fact that I was a Linux user before Mac.

raymondbl

Lucky JaMaHa... he/she got a mac (which one is it?) 

Ok, here's the list, so it's not in a confused jumble.  pros and cons of each...
Windows

Pros:
1. good graphics
2.good with most games
3.  better business stuff (microsoft office)
4.  compatible with most programs and software, hardware, etc.  out there

Cons
1. virus magnet (.exe files)
2. lots slower than mac
3. difficult to use sometimes with programs like finale/photoshop/sibelius etc.
4.  can have some cheap hardware and crashes a little... :(
5.  tendency to make bad operatings systems here and there (I think 98 was better than 2000, and xp is better than vista)

Mac
Pros
1. satisfies your need for speed
2.  good at running high drain programs,
3. good at quality music programs (there are some programs designed for mac only)
4. easier and more direct
Cons
1. not that good graphics in the stuff like the dock and the windows.
2. can't run some programs designed for windows (games)

all I can think of.

SuperFireKirby

Here's some major cons of a mac:

1. You'll pay twice as much for the same hardware specs you'd get on a pc.

2. When someone finally takes the time to make a mac virus, your mac will be defensless as there is no anti-virus software for macs.

3. Not compatable with alot of freebee software and quite a few games, mainly indie.

4. Mac versions of software are almost always way more expensive than the pc version. Just go into the software section of your local mac store.

Cons of pc:

1.Hardware can sometimes be cheaply made if you buy from the wrong company. *stares at Acer

2.Suseptible to viruses without some kind of anti-virus software.

3.Microsoft OS's usually will have things you need that are hard to find, while completely unneccessary things re right there in front of you.

And raymondbl, saying that pcs are alot slower than macs is complete BS. You don't know what you're talking about. Especially since in order to get any good hardware on a mac you have to spend AT LEAST $1,500.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Roz~

^QFT. I lol'd when I saw the "Macs are faster" thing.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: raymondbl on May 08, 2010, 06:05:41 AMWindows
Cons
3. difficult to use sometimes with programs like finale/photoshop/sibelius etc.
What? I use a PC and Finale 2010 runs perfectly. PCs are no less able to run programs than Macs are, you just need to know how to use them.

Really, it all comes down to preference.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Sir Awesomesauce

Quote from: JaMaHa on May 08, 2010, 03:30:48 AMThey actually can, there is a Mac version of Office.

For me Mac > PC, definitely. Ever since I got my Mac I haven't even thought of using Windows again. Of course that might have something to do with the fact that I was a Linux user before Mac.
I was being sarcastic. :P

Still haven't seen any viable evidence showing Macs are better for artsy things.

raymondbl

I forgot to mention - there's some sort of pad that is basically a sort of touch thing.  the whole computer screen is kind of laid out onto the pad, so if you touch the top right corner of the pad, the pointer will go there.  after that, if you touch the bottom left corner, that's where the mouse will go.  you don't need to keep moving it - good for writing stuff.  that's only for the mac, though.  I can't wait to get it!

SuperFireKirby

No its not you moron. Its called a tablet among computer grahpics makers such as my future self, and they've been out for quite a while. On both mac and pc. Look up drawing tablet on google, minimum of about $60 new. Do research before you speak.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Dude

Macs can't run Touhou, so they suck imo.

/topic