News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

The Introduction Thread

Started by Concerto No.20 in D minor, March 18, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 10, 2016, 06:43:34 PMno really though if you were atheist and thought Christianity was very stupid it'd actually be believable, but for some reason the rest of your post makes it hard to swallow

It's a forum of satire. I don't actually have to believe Christians are inferior to other people to show that such a statement parallels things such as "being straight is better than being gay." You should already know this though.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Altissimo

ben: okay? good for you? but does that mean we should let people be insulted because they can just "not be"?

like, does that mean it's okay for me to begin posting things like "I hate blacks. They're lazy and take all my money and they're unintelligent and aggressive", and not get warned/banned for it, because anyone who might be offended 'doesn't have to be'?

Do you see how that doesn't work? Why is this situation any different?

Dude

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 06:45:20 PMWe don't need Tobbeh/Egadd/Dude preaching their orientations.
I thought I'd add it to my post as it describes who I am?? I mean I never said being gay was superior or anything so wtf?

FireArrow

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 06:45:20 PMWell, this is the introduction thread after all. Maybe it's high time you all got to know me better. I'll show NSM is a safe place for friendship and acceptance.

I'm asexual. Never liked anyone or anything, at least, not in THAT way. I can't even begin to count how many times in my life I've been asked "So, gone on any dates yet?", "Oh, aren't you married yet?", "Hey Ben, whaddya think of so-and-so? Eh, eh?"

...and you know what? None of those questions bother me. I've gotten it from friends, family, church sermons, co-workers... the lot. I've never once used the word "asexual" in my life until this post because IT DOESN'T MATTER if they know, or don't know. They're still good people. I'm me, and nothing is going to change that.

I don't need other people to validate who I am. I don't need the Social Justice Police to educate the masses about me, and NONE of us --straight, gay, bi, pan, trans, ace-- need them either.

We don't need FA's textwalls. We don't need Waddle's diplomacy. We don't need Ruto's call-outs. We don't need Tobbeh/Egadd/Dude preaching their orientations. We really don't even need my post here. All we need is friendship. Play some video games, make some music, share some funny stories with eachother... just live life and enjoy it.

That's great. No Sarcasm, like, it really is. The problem is you can't use yourself as a case study for everyone else. What if there's some nearly suicidal gay teen out there that's being pushed over the edge by comments he experiences daily such as "being straight is better than gay." The issue here isn't "Oh no, dude is butthurt." The issue is that we want to foster an environment friendly to people who may not be as thick skinned as yourself.

Edit:
There's also forum rules.

4) Any blanket negative statements about a group of people will not be tolerated. We don't care if they're literally the spawn of Satan. Rise above, be the bigger person, don't discriminate against other groups of people.

Dudeman

Guys. Tobbeh has been dealt with. If what y'all are concerned with is comments being made and nothing being done about it, I can assure you you're dead wrong. Now, I'd like to remind everyone that the details of these situations are confidential between the mods and the one(s) involved, and that's the reason why you're not hearing everything.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

I thought it said dude posted and it was dudeman instead T_T
unmotivated

Dude

Why did you wait this long? ffs

This whole fucking thing would have been over 2 pages ago if you said that

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 06:45:20 PMWell, this is the introduction thread after all. Maybe it's high time you all got to know me better. I'll show NSM is a safe place for friendship and acceptance.

I'm asexual. Never liked anyone or anything, at least, not in THAT way. I can't even begin to count how many times in my life I've been asked "So, gone on any dates yet?", "Oh, aren't you married yet?", "Hey Ben, whaddya think of so-and-so? Eh, eh?"

...and you know what? None of those questions bother me. I've gotten it from friends, family, church sermons, co-workers... the lot. I've never once used the word "asexual" in my life until this post because IT DOESN'T MATTER if they know, or don't know. They're still good people. I'm me, and nothing is going to change that.

I don't need other people to validate who I am. I don't need the Social Justice Police to educate the masses about me, and NONE of us --straight, gay, bi, pan, trans, ace-- need them either.

We don't need FA's textwalls. We don't need Waddle's diplomacy. We don't need Ruto's call-outs. We don't need Tobbeh/Egadd/Dude preaching their orientations. We really don't even need my post here. All we need is friendship. Play some video games, make some music, share some funny stories with eachother... just live life and enjoy it.
Proud of you coming out fam, supporting you all the way :]

You're right on the money, but you yourself are still doing it and admit to doing it, because you want people to understand your point of view!! The fact that you made a post like this proves my point, we all make posts like these to help each other find that common and stable foundation for our views!! Posts like ours just show how deep down we all care about each other. :]
shoutouts relativism

edit ninja'd 1000 times lool
Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 06:48:46 PMThe point is, I have had MANY reasons to be upset in my life. I chose not to be upset. I chose not to be insulted. It's pointless.
shoutouts nihilism

Dudeman

Quote from: Dude on April 10, 2016, 07:06:25 PMWhy did you wait this long? ffs
This was dealt with a good six hours ago. Again, the details aren't public business.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FireArrow

While I agree with protecting the privacy of a user, posts such as "This user as been punished/warned for this post" are pretty standard across forums and help to both serve as a warning for other people and make public to whomever may of been negatively impacted that such behavior is not accepted on this forum and shouldn't run for the hills to avoid it. Also it prevents people (myself included) from going all vigilante.

Dude

Quote from: Dudeman on April 10, 2016, 07:07:12 PMThis was dealt with a good six hours ago. Again, the details aren't public business.
But all of this was because of the idea you mods completely ignored it holy fuck

mikey

See?  Dude's posts are so much better than dudeman's.  I'm sure everyone understands my disappointment
unmotivated

Altissimo

Dudeman, you see we've been fighting about it for a while, so it might be nice to let us know there's no reason to continue this train of thought! Earlier, I mean.

And, um... Tobbeh's post still says this:

QuoteSexual orientation: 1000% Straight, straight is the best imo.

Whether or not it's been dealt with privately, this kind of statement shouldn't be allowed to remain publicly!!

also:

Quote from: FireArrow on April 10, 2016, 07:08:32 PMWhile I agree with protecting the privacy of a user, posts such as "This user as been punished/warned for this post" are pretty standard across forums and help to both serve as a warning for other people and make public to whomever may of been negatively impacted that such behavior is not accepted on this forum and shouldn't run for the hills to avoid it. Also it prevents people (myself included) from going all vigilante.

I'm gonna have to agree with this!! I've never seen an instance where this kind of system went wrong. It is a good way to make sure new users know exactly what kind of statements to make and not make!!

Dude

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 10, 2016, 07:09:14 PMSee?  Dude's so much better than dudeman.  I'm sure everyone understands my disappointment
ftfy

mikey

unmotivated