News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The Introduction Thread

Started by Concerto No.20 in D minor, March 18, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 11, 2016, 05:16:57 AMAlso why the fuck has Dude been banned!? I don't get the reason. Is it because of spam, or writing inappropriate comments? I personally don't think ANY member on the forum needs/have been needed to be banned, I've NEVER heard any that bad comments or spam ever since I started being active here.

are you kidding me, is this a thing that actually happened

E. Gadd Industries

Brainy, you like pizza more than tacos? O_O Everyone, hide the pizzerias in your area! XD (Also, why'd you put your last name? You know other people than just NSMers get on here, right?)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

BrainyLucario

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on April 11, 2016, 06:05:39 AMBrainy, you like pizza more than tacos? O_O Everyone, hide the pizzerias in your area! XD (Also, why'd you put your last name? You know other people than just NSMers get on here, right?)
I didn't know I included that. My bad!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

No I wasn't?

No messages about it in my PM box so...

E. Gadd Industries

That's just what was said by someone somewhere on a previous page, maybe on this thread. XD
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

I mean, I posted because I saw it so??

Like if I was banned I wouldn't be posting right now, would I? -_-

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 11:00:39 PMWe all want to make the world a better place. We start with those near and dear to us, and hope that in that little microcosm, we can build a paradise worth living for. (Yes I'm referencing PMD: GtI)

Where we begin to differ though is HOW to do that. Social activism? Charity? Public rallies? Standing up for the minority? Educating internet forum communities?

Take it from a former full-time minister -- you can't change society in a day, but you can empower individuals. I've seen broken families mended, seen hatred turn to love, seen addiction give way to sheer will, seen weaknesses become strengths. All it takes is realizing who is in control of your life -- you.

Ignoring societal ills is not a solution, but neither is futilely campaigning social justice on an internet forum. If you want to make the world a better place, talk to people 1-on-1. Truly get to know them, and empower them with the same hope in the future you have.
Glad to see you starting to understand the point I was making, but you still fail to back up your claims with reasoning!! For example, what makes any rational and reasonable discussion(or in some cases dialectics) "futile"? You seem to have been approaching this as if the one side is incapable of reason(which clearly isn't the case). Also saying the same things in a 1-on-1 discussion wouldn't change the points you are making in one bit! It makes literally no difference whether or not you say the same things in public PM, if anything public discussion can help anyone else outside the conversation understand the same things and common and stable foundation for everyone's values, thus helping prevent a situation like this happening again!!

But like I said, glad to see you change your views from the nonchalant ignorance, you're a great example of how the effects reasonable discussion like this can have to help one understand other people's points!! In dialogical interaction everybody wins :]

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 11, 2016, 05:16:57 AMI don't want to prolong this lame discussion more, shouldn't fucking started it in the first place... but to end it all I want to clear some things up

I think my post NOW, when edited, isn't bad at all. I only say what I like and that it is my opinion. And I think people can say/should be allowed to say "x is best, I fucking love blah blah praise praise". It only shows that you like something, and doesn't state any dislike. Sure you could probably guess that if he like x that much, he doesn't likes y. But still it ONLY states what you LIKE.

I think Seb asked like "isn't that a bit rude?"(about my first comment). And yes it probably is. But I don't think it's that simple, like "be nice, don't be rude". Because what if you're in a group where a lot of people are rude? I'd say it's a better idea of trying to fit in by not being nice yourself rather than trying to make other people nice, it'll be an pointless attempt. And I also think it's more important, and value higher "thinking and being the same way other people do/are", even if it's "bad" or "rude". Because a lot of people will understand you since they have the same opinion, you're on the same level. The only problem with this is that people tend to change opinions, and very frequently, and this fucking messes me up. For example for some years ago people hated Justin Bieber, so I though ok he's bad and his music sucks, then now people think his music is actually good, and I'm like "NO he's bad! wtf has happened!??" So confusing.

And also I don't think E.Gadd did anything bad, so you DON'T NEED to apologize. It was MY comment that started it, and your comment did not inspire me to to make my comment either. So NONE is your fault E.Gadd. 
Like you seem to understand, it's not just about what you exactly say, but also what you suggest with your opinions. "Opinions" like those are more commonly known as discourses or discursions, which in a quick summary are commonly established concepts, sayings and norms that in their entirety include hidden assumptions(like the established word "fireman" suggests gender roles in the sense that firemen are men, even though women can also do it).

You were saying that heterosexuality is somehow "the best" sexual orientation, even though you can't possibly state legitimate reasons for it. The hidden assumption in it being homosexuality being somehow worse(through logic: "if x is better than y, y has to be worse than x", but you can't possibly explain why it'd be like that). Even saying that statement like that is an opinion has to include a discursive assumption that it's an opinion(since it didn't even originally state that it's an opinion).

Why are hidden assumptions and discourses like that bad? The power of discourses appears above all as subconscious exclusions and as hidden restrictions and thoughts of what should be considered as normal. Discourses like this can be reasonably considered as incredibly insulting by minorities or other people in general. If you're telling or suggesting someone they're not normal(when thoughts like that can't even be rationally justified), you can't expect them to take it as a slap in the face that it metaphorically is.

Minorities(in this case LGBT+) are incredibly common victims of discrimination and harassment, and the least we'd want is that discrimination and harassment to spread to NSM Forums of all places. Discourses and hidden assumptions like heteronormativity(=assumption heterosexuality is somehow "the normal", because it's the most common) allow this discrimination and harassment to take place, that's why it's reasonable to call them out.

Nitro Indigo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 10, 2016, 01:24:51 PMI think I'm getting stupider just reading some of these comments.
YouTube in a nutshell.

Coming from someone who's had bad experiences just looking at stamp flamewars on deviantART, there needs to be more people on the internet like Bespinben.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

FireArrow

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 11, 2016, 05:16:57 AMSnip
If you had the opinion that white people are better than black people, it'd probably be best not to share that opinion? Gay people deserve that same respect. I personally wasn't insulted by your statement, but there probably are people who read it and felt isolated/rejected, maybe even guests. Despite what bespinben says, the price of a flame war is less than the price of bystander effect. There needs to be some kind of retaliation when hurtful things are said, otherwise people who are hurt feel... isolated/rejected.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

Ben, you're not wrong, but there's one statement you made that kinda pisses me off. I'm not "campaigning for social justice," I'm campaigning for my own justice. I'm sick of everyone tolerating and encouraging this kind of discrimination :P but it's whatever. I'm basically resigned to it lately anyway.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Tobbeh has been warned, again. A ban is also in consideration.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

Thank you, I must have missed that update. I don't mean to be hostile, I hope my posts were fine.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Dudeman on April 11, 2016, 10:00:44 AMTobbeh has been warned, again. A ban is also in consideration.
Grazi, Dudeman. These statements honestly help a lot with these situations, otherwise people get the feeling that their voices are not heard.
what is shitpost