News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

K-NiGhT

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 07, 2014, 08:30:49 AMHmm if I had to rank the games...

1. Hoenn
2. Unova
3. Kanto / Johto (tied)
5. Sinnoh
6. Kalos

But if I were to make an inequality based on that like you guys did, it would look like this:

III > V > I = II > IV >>>>>>>>>> VI
I feel like it's kinda hard for me to rank the games, since they all have their unique charms. I definitely have favorites in 2 and 3, but after that they're almost all kinda tied for me. Each game had at least one thing that kept me coming back to it.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Dude

FierceDeity

Quote from: K-NiGhT on March 07, 2014, 07:44:25 AMwow, way to make completely unfounded statements on games you've never played. you, sir, are the literal definition of a genwunner.

This so much. Nocturne, normally I'm joking around, but I'm actually kinda frustrated with you right now :/
Although technically he'd be called a genthree-er, or something to that effect.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on March 07, 2014, 09:17:10 AMI feel like it's kinda hard for me to rank the games, since they all have their unique charms. I definitely have favorites in 2 and 3, but after that they're almost all kinda tied for me. Each game had at least one thing that kept me coming back to it.

I agree, ranking them is difficult. On the one hand, there are clear improvements that are made from generation to generation. On the other hand, technical achievement in a game is far from the only thing that makes it enjoyable for the player.

I've always had a soft spot for gen III. Then again, I've always had a soft spot for pretty much every generation. While I'm not very nostalgic for gen VI on account of the fact that it came out so recently, I do think I'd definitely consider it one of my favorites. I personally enjoyed how they integrated pokemon from older generations; I thought it was a nice break in the formula, as if it's their way of saying "people still love these pokemon, so why just toss them out and create an entirely new batch each time?". I also freaking loved lumiose city so much more than every other city in every other pokemon game ever. Even if I wasn't as excited about the somewhat kiddy customization aspects, it still created an amazing sense that you're in an actual city, rather than some random assortment of things the developers thought would be good to include at one particular point in the game. The 3D animation definitely helps with that, as well as the sheer variety of shit to do.

mikey

Is it bad if the 5th and 6th generations didn't appeal to me like the third (and to a lesser extent fourth)?
That's what I said originally.  The things they offered compared to the other games didn't seem to merit buying them.  That's why I won't play them, and while X and Y may have made competitive battling perfect (according to waddle bro lol) it doesn't seem like pokemon used to be.  It's fine if I'm missing out, because with my attitude I wouldn't even enjoy playing it. (by the way the grass starter is stupid.  His ability is soooo annoying D: )

Fostering new discussion I gotta say Archie is my favorite villain in the games.
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 07, 2014, 12:06:23 PMIs it bad if the 5th and 6th generations didn't appeal to me like the third (and to a lesser extent fourth)?

It is bad if you don't give them an actual chance before you talk shit about them. Emerald came out when you were six years old, it's only natural that it appeal more to you then regardless of advertised qualities of the game. It really is appropriate that K-night call you a genwunner, seeing as you are doing the same exact thing with another generation: glorifying something from your childhood while diminishing its successors despite not actually having experienced them. "Fairy type is dumb" "they're running out of ideas for pokemon, the generation I grew up with has the best ones"; these are the types of complaints that have been made throughout the entire goddamn series. Guess what? A shitload of people hate generation III for similar reasons. Kids get a Pokemon game when they're young and love it, but suddenly they grow up, and realize that random combinations of animals/objects and arbitrary elements might not be the most creative thing in the universe. Except the ones that they were exposed to during their most impressionable state are!

TL;DR please play through the goddamn games before you judge them.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 07, 2014, 12:06:23 PMIt's fine if I'm missing out, because with my attitude I wouldn't even enjoy playing it.

Well, that's certainly a great model for self-growth. "I acknowledge that my attitude is what's stopping me from giving proper consideration to these games, and there's absolutely nothing I can do to change that."
That should go up on the pedestal with the other great axioms, such as "If you feel like giving up, go ahead, I mean, it's too late anyways if you do." and "People with racist, homophobic, or other malicious types of attitudes can't be blamed, because it's their attitude that's holding them back, so I mean, what are you gonna do?"

...before that last part gets misinterpreted, I'm not calling you racist or homophobic, nor am I saying that not giving newer Pokemon games a chance is on the same level as either. I'm just saying that by the same progression of logic, those statements could be considered to make sense.

mikey

I never said emerald had the best pokemon.
Red and Blue did.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Nocturne: There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I'd rather not play Pokemon Black and White." There is a difference between doing that and saying that Pokemon Black and White is a terrible game with terrible Pokemon when you haven't even played the game. If you're going to bash a game, at least bother to play it first! Otherwise it just makes you look stupid.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 07, 2014, 01:02:32 PMI never said emerald had the best pokemon.
Red and Blue did.
oh yeah wow a Poke Ball with a face on it, 2 blobs, and a few hundred other generic animal ripoffs. SUCH REVOLUTIONARY
Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 07, 2014, 01:04:50 PMNocturne: There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I'd rather not play Pokemon Black and White." There is a difference between doing that and saying that Pokemon Black and White is a terrible game with terrible Pokemon when you haven't even played the game. If you're going to bash a game, at least bother to play it first! Otherwise it just makes you look stupid.
QFFT
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Nebbles

I'm all for respecting opinions but people saying the original 151 were the most creative makes me laugh. Suuuure. I'm with K-NiGhT here.

Like, each gen has their good Pokemon and bad Pokemon, but it's all subjective. I love Vanillite, and some people think an ice cream Pokemon is silly. If they can say that without bashing, I'm fine. But it's stupid to just blindly bash Pokemon because they aren't the original 151.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Quote from: K-NiGhT on March 07, 2014, 01:59:57 PMoh yeah wow a Poke Ball with a face on it, 2 blobs, and a few hundred other generic animal ripoffs. SUCH REVOLUTIONARY

I don't like this either. Don't bash gen I in response to bashing of the new Pokemon! All the regions have awesome Pokemon, and anyone who can't admit that is just embarrassing themselves. That's all there is to it.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Yugi

Quote from: Nebbles on March 07, 2014, 02:56:37 PMI'm all for respecting opinions but people saying the original 151 were the most creative makes me laugh.=

bird

blueflower999

Solution: Every Gen is good. Gen 1 wasn't the most creative by any means but it started it all, and so you have to respect that. Gens 2-4 added lots of cool new Pokemon, Gen 5 is my personal favorite, and then Gen 6 made competitive battling amazing.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Nebbles

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 07, 2014, 03:06:09 PMSolution: Every Gen is good. Gen 1 wasn't the most creative by any means but it started it all, and so you have to respect that. Gens 2-4 added lots of cool new Pokemon, Gen 5 is my personal favorite, and then Gen 6 made competitive battling amazing.

Right, every gen is good in its own way. It's hard to compare them all, since each of them are really different in their own ways. Each gen has its pros and cons,

Like what Slow said, bashing older gens doesn't help at all. It's not going to make your argument look any better... in reality, whatever your favorite gen is is just based on you personally. I love gen 4, some people don't. I love all the gens in different ways, if that makes sense.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

I mean, sure he was a "villain", but he wasn't actually doing anything he thought was wrong.
They worded his script perfectly...  He's just so nice and willing to talk, while at the same time doing what he believes is right.  Even maxie, his opposite, was pretty mean to you in the game.
unmotivated

Yugi

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 07, 2014, 03:38:09 PMI mean, sure he was a "villain", but he wasn't actually doing anything he thought was wrong.
They worded his script perfectly...  He's just so nice and willing to talk, while at the same time doing what he believes is right.  Even maxie, his opposite, was pretty mean to you in the game.
um

That's not a villain, that's an anti hero.