General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: JDMEK5 on February 16, 2016, 07:31:25 AM#Chandelure #Garbodor #Klefki #Doublade #householditempokemonarelazyexcusesforcreativity
I'm discussing how it could change forms based on which appliance it was associated with.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

Quote from: Altissimo on February 16, 2016, 08:16:05 AM#Magnemite #Grimer #Voltorb #thishasbeengoingonsincegen1 #pokémonaregettingmorecreativenotless
Grimer is not a valid answer and isn't comparable to garbodor or trubbish which are literally living trash bags

oh yeah also bergmite is just a zelda enemy
copy pasted
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Trubbish and Garbodor were a commentary on the amount of pollution and trash in New York City (on which Unova is based). Grimer and Muk are a commentary on the amount of toxic waste produced by plants in Japan (on part of which Kanto is based). And if you seriously think the design artists at Game Freak are copying anything, let alone Zelda, you've got a screw loose.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

more specifically the PSMD ingame model looks more like the first image than the second one

but how exactly do trash bags and key rings and ice cream cones come alive is what I'd like to know
at least rotom and chandelure are ghost types which makes sense
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 18, 2016, 02:29:22 PMbut how exactly do trash bags and key rings and ice cream cones come alive is what I'd like to know

but how exactly do magnets and piles of sludge and whatever the hell koffing is come alive is what I'd like to know

mikey

Quote from: Altissimo on February 18, 2016, 02:30:37 PMbut how exactly do magnets and piles of sludge and whatever the hell koffing is come alive is what I'd like to know
my argument is only for grimer, they make sense.
I'm pretty sure his pokedex entry states that the waste is so hazardous it actually mutated into a living thing creating grimer.  I don't care about magnet, 3 magnets, poke ball, and upside down poke ball and those are legitimate indicators of the overall suckiness of the first gen
unmotivated

Altissimo

gen 1 is imo the worst of all the gens. Most of my favorite mons are in it but it is also terminally uncreative lmao

mikey

Idk, I think designing pokemon that are just oversized animals was ok the first few times
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Altissimo on February 18, 2016, 02:49:52 PMgen 1 is imo the worst of all the gens. Most of my favorite mons are in it but it is also terminally uncreative lmao

I don't think that's true. Gen I is an incredibly solid foundation to set the standards for monster design. If you don't have Pokémon that resemble actual animals, the player isn't really going to know what's going on. When you look at genius designs like Bulbasaur or Ninetales, of course they tend to stand out over the more generic ones like Rattata or Kangaskhan, but I really think the original 151 is a very solid set with a lot of genuine creativity. I would say Gen IV is the least good, just because there are such a small number of Pokémon and only about half of them are to my taste. Not that I really dislike any Pokémon.

Altissimo

i mean i don't mind them resembling actual animals but some of them are just so damned boring like persian and pidgey like you can Do More!

SlowPokemon

Aww, I thought Pidgey was cute. But I do get where you're coming from.

E. Gadd Industries

Imo, Gen 4 is the best generation, but that's probably because my first Pokémon game ever was Platinum (which is also why I'm biased to Sinnoh)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

I sort of played the first 4 generations all at once so I feel like I'm not biased in regards to the first 4 gens in a vacuum.  Pokémon games are just made so different now (if you try to argue that point you're a fool) and I think that's why I'm hesitant toward gens 5 and 6

What would have been best is if they had only released say, 20-30 pokemon in each generation, but make each generation dependent on other regions to gather all pokemon (so like hoenn would have say pikachus and marills but johto wouldn't have pikachus and kanto wouldn't have marills)
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Sure, Gen 1 has some pretty uncreative Pokémon... but it's not that bad (especially considering it was the first generation, after all). Plus, there are quite a few cool Pokémon there as well.

I would say that, despite the good music and story, Gen 5 has the most uncreative Pokémon by far. Just look at the evolutionary of lines of Pokémon like Klink and Vanilluxe... It's easy to tell that they started running out of ideas.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Altissimo

Quote from: mastersuperfan on February 18, 2016, 04:56:10 PMI would say that, despite the good music and story, Gen 5 has the most uncreative Pokémon by far. Just look at the evolutionary of lines of Pokémon like Klink and Vanilluxe... It's easy to tell that they started running out of ideas.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this exact argument is what i've been trying to say Is Not Fucking True all damn dayyyyyyyyyy nobody listen to me :(