Submissions General Questions, Comments, etc

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 23, 2010, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Not 100% sure if this is the best topic but for Coconut Mall when it switches to Eb from D should I just use a key sig change or is it okay to keep using accidentals (what I'm doing right now)?
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 19, 2014, 01:24:23 PMNot 100% sure if this is the best topic but for Coconut Mall when it switches to Eb from D should I just use a key sig change or is it okay to keep using accidentals (what I'm doing right now)?
I'd use a Key Change.  Thats probably the correct thing to do. :)

mikey

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 19, 2014, 08:31:25 PMI'd use a Key Change.  Thats probably the correct thing to do. :)
I forgot to mention it's only for like 8 or so measures.
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 19, 2014, 09:12:35 PMI forgot to mention it's only for like 8 or so measures.

I can't say for sure without seeing it, but it doesn't sound like a key sig change is necessary.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FierceDeity

Idk, I've been studying a lot of pieces with similarly brief chromatic modulations and they tend to use key changes a lot. If you're modulating from Eb major to D major (which is what I assume actually happens in the piece), even for just 8 bars that'd be a bitch and a half to read using accidentals.

EDIT: Oh right, the reason I came to this thread in the first place. How possible/likely is it that we could get youtube/audio file links for the originals in the actual submissions threads? Like, just as an added (possibly optional) field for the submission form, could we include the url and have that incorporated in the post?

Bespinben

Is the intent of that suggestion for the updaters to be able to easily access the original song while reviewing, or is it for the main site to have a link to the original song with each arrangement?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

FierceDeity

First one (that and for the convenience of anyone else giving feedback)

Winter

Quote from: Bespinben on November 21, 2014, 03:57:04 PMIs the intent of that suggestion for the updaters to be able to easily access the original song while reviewing, or is it for the main site to have a link to the original song with each arrangement?

I'm thinking it would be your first guess, and to be honest that sounds extremely convenient. Although I remember a discussion somewhere about the possibility of it being on the main site.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 21, 2014, 03:08:32 PMIdk, I've been studying a lot of pieces with similarly brief chromatic modulations and they tend to use key changes a lot. If you're modulating from Eb major to D major (which is what I assume actually happens in the piece), even for just 8 bars that'd be a bitch and a half to read using accidentals.
I've seen both a fair bit, even one bit of Chopin with A# major (I think it was A#, it's been a while) notated with accidentals in order to maintain correct spellings of key relationships connected by major thirds.

As an updater, I tend to leave short modulations to personal preference.

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 21, 2014, 03:08:32 PMEDIT: Oh right, the reason I came to this thread in the first place. How possible/likely is it that we could get youtube/audio file links for the originals in the actual submissions threads? Like, just as an added (possibly optional) field for the submission form, could we include the url and have that incorporated in the post?
That's on the to-do list for when holidays come around.

Bubbles

This got archived so I can't reply there haha

The note is missing from your version of the arrangement, but its not a huge deal so it can probably just be ignored. Basically, where the rest is in measure 4 is actually another CEb chord (and I'm sure some other timing is moved around too but I can't eyeball it).

FireArrow

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 21, 2014, 03:08:32 PMIdk, I've been studying a lot of pieces with similarly brief chromatic modulations and they tend to use key changes a lot. If you're modulating from Eb major to D major (which is what I assume actually happens in the piece), even for just 8 bars that'd be a bitch and a half to read using accidentals.

EDIT: Oh right, the reason I came to this thread in the first place. How possible/likely is it that we could get youtube/audio file links for the originals in the actual submissions threads? Like, just as an added (possibly optional) field for the submission form, could we include the url and have that incorporated in the post?

Most of my experience with modulations comes from baroque music, so I pretty much never key sig changes.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bespinben

OH!!! I finally hear it. Thanks for your scruple Bubbles. I dismissed it initially because there is indeed a rest after the first one, but, thanks to your importunity, I now realize there is supposed to be another triplet eighth, or four C-Eb chords altogether.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mikey

I've decided to just throw in accidentals, that way I won't have to send it to a computer at school and can just finish it at home :)
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Convenience and apathy are rarely the reasons behind good decisions. Again, if for 8 bars there will be accidentals written on every note except for D and G, that will be a bitch and a half to read.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 26, 2014, 11:41:02 AMConvenience and apathy are rarely the reasons behind good decisions. Again, if for 8 bars there will be accidentals written on every note except for D and G, that will be a bitch and a half to read.
There should only be an Eb, E natural, and f# as far as I can think of offhand
unmotivated