News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

CRoll + Pencil + Paper = ?

Started by Cobraroll, December 23, 2010, 07:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

With all the art topics suddenly popping up, and the generally good response to Pokémon drawings, I thought I could join the trend and share some pictures. I spent the better part of boring classes at secondary school drawing, and among huge amounts of crap, it resulted in this. Those of you who know me on Facebook might have seen those before:

What the hell is this one actually looking at... or rather, why is its foot on fire? As you can see from its stance, it's leaping upwards, not going downwards like I seemed to think when I drew this. I probably used a picture as a reference while drawing, and added the fire for effect. It didn't save me from screwing up the left foot, though.

Sharpedo is actually ridiculously easy to draw. Just start with the contour of its back, then work from there. Screwup guaranteed when you add the star at the end, though.

Yes, the eyes are too big, and it's not round. Though, excuses exist for both:
1) Eyes don't grow. They keep their size during the entire life.
2) As seen in the games, Pokémon eggs aren't round, even if the Pokémon inside it is. So a newly hatched Pokémon will have some deformities due to the imperfect shape of the shell.
This is a baby. Cute, eh?

These two were drawn with the aid of pictures. Both were my Facebook profile pic for some time:

I have uploaded some more pictures, but in hindsight, I realise they are too ugly to show here. It's been a while since I last drew a "full" picture. I want to pick up the pencil again, though, so if anybody could help me with some critisism, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

This is cool :o Are the first few drawn on the back of your homework? :3

SlowPokemon

I saw the first few and was quite honestly like "Okay, these are alright..."

I saw Feraligatr, and it was good, but you'd posted that one before.

The Cubone... is my favorite, although I am not a Cubone fan. It was very well done; if these are in chronological order you are improving all the time!
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

^^Sometimes homework, but usually papers we got at school and worked with in class.

^I actually drew a couple after Cubone too. One turned out terrible, and one was Scizor, but head only. It was quite boring to look at. I think Cubone is my best work so far.

Thanks, both of you!

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

ETFROXX

Very good! You're great at this. I'm jealous.

SuperFireKirby

A lovely Cubone, I must say. The first couple weren't nearly as good as the last two though.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

dahans

Agreed. The last 2 were amazing! Well done! :D
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Maretocks

Wow, nice. ^_^ The Feraligatr and Cubone are fantastic!
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Cobraroll

As I found out this autumn, Infrastructure can be a very boring subject. And as I sat there, with the book in front of me and pencil in hand, trying to listen to the teacher with a faint hope of taking some useful notes, I decided to pick up on drawing again:

QUESTION: What does the musculature in Bulbasaur's hind legs look like? Which ways do the joints go? In which direction do the toes point?
ANSWER: I have no idea, and neither does GameFreak, apparently. I couldn't find a single picture of Bulbasaur's hind legs showing any joint at all. Most of the art depicts them as a continuation of its butt, with the toes tucked away somewhere unspecified. This leads to the question: How does this thing even manage to walk? I mean, most official art shows that the hind legs are usually pointing out from its body in a V-shape. Sorry for this looking like a mess, but I didn't have any art to refer to. Perhaps Ivysaur's animations in SSBB would have been of help, but again, this was drawn during Infrastructure class.

Let it be said, I'm hopless with reflections. And shadows in general, don't ask where the light source is supposed to be here. That being said, I like how most of the magnets turned out on this one.

Forget Rattata and Raticate, I've always thought of Voltorb and Electrode as the Pokémon equivalent to rats. They thrive in dark places, feed on electricity (for instance, batteries in the boxes) and can be a pest to remove (most Ground attacks are devastating to their surroundings, but peanuts compared to the chain reaction that would set off if you provoked one of them to explode). If your warehouse is infested by these, you better close the door carefully and call for professional help. Next time, you better make sure to close all the doors tightly even if you're only going away for a couple of minutes.
On a side note, the rough plank texture on the wooden crate turned out quite nice, I think.

Ahh, Garchomp, everybody's favourite land shark. Where to begin with this one? Not the toes on the right foot, that's for sure. Until I get a new and better rubber, let's just pretend that Garchomp stumbled on a rock and hurt its toe badly. Also, legs are a pain to draw. The eyes should actually be smaller than shown here, and placed closer to its snout.

Until I drew this, I had always liked Tyranitar's design. I mean, just look at it!
Then I tried to draw its legs. I had to look it up on Bulbapedia to get it right. Yes, they are meant to be on the sides of its body. Yes, it has no knees, at least not rotating on the proper axis. No wonder why Tyranitar has such a low Speed stat: It can't walk. Its arms are also... well, I drew them too big here. They are meant to be even shorter and stubbier, leading one to question their purpose at all. It can't pick up things on the ground (it would fall over). Its punching reach is limited to some thirty centimetres directly in front of it. It can't even touch its own nose. The screw-ups that are its hands are entirely my own, though. Never mind the orientation of its belly.

Victreebel is a funny one. I've never got either of its leaves right, but at least the rest looks sort of OK. Though, those tennis ball-sized eyes would probably protrude into its digestive tract, but hey, who am I to question GameFreak's designs?

This one turned out pretty well, I think. If you disregard the size of its head compared to its body, that is. That thing on its left hand is not the poorly drawn outline of its biceps, it's supposed to be a battle scar. Promise. As usual, legs are hard to draw. And I wonder what kind of muscles and bone structure Charizard would need on its back, seeing as its wings are jointed next to its arms. I'm glad I didn't have to draw that here. I only had to figure out its shoulders, which hopefully nobody will notice if I not mention the-... dang.

The hardest thing do draw on Gyarados is the spikes protruding from its jawbone and temples. They are meant to be way more rugged than shown here. Can we pretend that Gyarados is filling its lungs with air before diving, inflating its cheeks in the process? It has no visible gills, so I think that could be feasible.
No idea what happened to the central spike in its tail fin, though... perhaps it is hidden behind a splash of frothy water with the exact same colour as the fin?

Last, one for the artillery nerds out there. Angles screwed up all over the place, but it kinda resembles the real deal still.

Jamaha

Quote from: Cobraroll on January 23, 2012, 06:36:47 AMLast, one for the artillery nerds out there. Angles screwed up all over the place, but it kinda resembles the real deal still.

Sorry, prefer to look at artillery from in front of them. And preferably so far away that I can't see them.

Winter

As far as Bulbasaur's legs, I always thought of the joints like cats kind of, if you see it jump...

And Charizards arms... :o

Electrode pic was very beautiful btw.

SlowPokemon

Bulbasaur's legs are HUGE! O: looking back at your older ones, I love the Bellsprout. I don't know why. I just love that Pokemon and it's a good drawing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

These are awesome! I <3 Magneton
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Cobraroll

Oh! Update!

I made a thread over at the Smogon forums, and there I got a request to try to draw Smeargle. I thought that the usual "bumbly eccentric painter" approach was a little too overrated, so I found a pose where it explains better why some Smeargle are banned, even in the Uber metagame.

Also, I drew a couple of pictures from the life in the military:

I spent a lot of time in, on and around this truck. Still forgot a couple of details, but this should be decent enough. Just don't look at the roof of the driver's cabin.

Kaserne Livelt, Setermoen, 05:59. Date is arbitrary.