[Wii] Donkey Kong Country Returns - "Rocket Barrel"

Started by Dekudude, February 10, 2011, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekudude

Completed and on site

MP3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?j3qk9dhwh361hnd
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiy7fqHEeo4

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone here has been working on this song, or would be interested in arranging it for piano. It's fantastic, and would translate very well to ragtime piano, especially if some artistic license were taken in the bass where necessary. (for the famous ragtime boom-ta-boom-ta bass run) If anyone's interested, let me know! I'd love to do it myself, but I just don't have the time, or frankly, the skill. Hopefully someone here does!

Thanks. :)

Wii Tank

I strongly second this. I was just thinking to myself today how epic this could be on piano.

Bloop

Well, in the afternoon I look at it.

EDIT: wait, which one you want? Rocket Barrel 1, 2 or world 8 version? They're all different

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bloop on February 11, 2011, 03:27:08 AMWell, in the afternoon I look at it.

EDIT: wait, which one you want? Rocket Barrel 1, 2 or world 8 version? They're all different

considering he linked rocket barrel 1, I would assume he wants rocket barrel 1 arranged.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Bloop

Quote from: Shadoninja on February 11, 2011, 08:25:35 AMconsidering he linked rocket barrel 1, I would assume he wants rocket barrel 1 arranged.
yeah, but it can that he didn't knew those other versions

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bloop on February 11, 2011, 09:34:12 AMyeah, but it can that he didn't knew those other versions
irrelevant, what he links is what he wants arranged.

Bloop

Quote from: Shadoninja on February 11, 2011, 11:38:48 AMirrelevant, what he links is what he wants arranged.
okay! :P

...I like the world 8 version more xD

EDIT wow it's in 5/4th time xD

Dekudude

Yes, I was referring to #1, though if you wanted to arrange the other two afterwards, you'd be more than welcome to. :)

Also, this will be a very difficult song to arrange to its potential, so any feedback anyone has on the rough drafts before they're completed, feel free to share. I'll be willing to help with this too, but unfortunately, I can mostly just suggestion articulations etc, as I do not have any version of Finale besides Reader, so please don't feel as if I am being demanding or anything of the sort.

Listen to some other ragtime pieces, played by Tom Brier or similar. (I saw that Keeper1st from YouTube posted here a while back. I don't know if he still visits, but I'm sure he would also have some great insight on improvements to be made) Understanding the style this would best transfer into would probably be key to making it work. Piano transcriptions tend to sound much worse than piano arrangements.

Thanks for your interest!

Bloop

Yeah, it's a hard song :p

If I get the first note maybe I can go any further... :P

arqivus

I think it doesn't sound like a rag. More like something jazzy from post-ragtime era.

Dekudude

The song itself doesn't sound too much like ragtime, but I envision it sounding best on piano if treated as such. Does that make sense? It has the syncopated rhythms, and at :11 on the video, you can definitely imagine the jumping chords that ragtime is famous for. That's what I'm talking about.

arqivus

Now that seems to be a good idea. This theme itself has a bit monotonous bass structure. Indeed, putting those ragtime rhytms is interesting, but it requires making them from a scratch. Then the melody should be built up instead of leaving this simple one note melody because otherwise it would be kind of imbalanced. That would make this theme some sort of remix. But hey, ragtime is fun and I'm backing your idea.  ;D

Dekudude

That's exactly what I meant when I said there's a difference between "arrangements" and "transcriptions." A transcription just copies down the notes, no matter how simple they may be, while an arrangement adds and removes parts to make the song better transfer onto a new instrument, band, et al.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out! :)

Dekudude

http://www.mediafire.com/?f080j9fuqlfxqu9

Hey guys. I whipped up a quick little sample of some stuff I've figured out. The timing is off (especially in the bass!) and some of the bass notes may be wrong, but it could help get some of you guys started. I'm fairly confident the song is in B minor... and it looks like it switches between 3/4 and 4/4. Also, later on, there IS a key change.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Dekudude on February 25, 2011, 09:43:29 AMhttp://www.mediafire.com/?f080j9fuqlfxqu9

Hey guys. I whipped up a quick little sample of some stuff I've figured out. The timing is off (especially in the bass!) and some of the bass notes may be wrong, but it could help get some of you guys started. I'm fairly confident the song is in B minor... and it looks like it switches between 3/4 and 4/4. Also, later on, there IS a key change.

I'm fairly confident that you're mistaken about the key. I believe it's Bb minor and then changes to what appears to be C minor.
I'm also confident that bloop's statement of it being in 5/4 is correct. from what I've written down of it so far, it's in 5/4 for the first 8 measures and then switches to 4/4 for the next 8 and then repeats those two phrases.

here's what I hear though somehow the left hand eighth notes should be straight instead of swung.