[Wii] Donkey Kong Country Returns - "Rocket Barrel"

Started by Dekudude, February 10, 2011, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloop

Quote from: Shadoninja on February 28, 2011, 12:36:36 PMthe first measure of the 4/4 should be half notes instead of quarter notes and tbh I don't think this piece as it is currently works with ragtime. also, in the bass of the last measure of the 4/4 should be E natural not D flat
...That sounds kinda weird if playing from measure 13, but good if playing from measure 9. Funny.

QuoteThat sounds really good, Bloop, but I agree that we need some oom-pah on it. Not so much that the song isn't the same, but enough so that the strong drive is still there. Consider the "pah" to be the snare in the original song.

EDIT - Also, I definitely DON'T think it's too excessive. If anything, it's not enough. The song is hardcore, so it needs a lot to feel full. You might want to make some of the chords 3-note instead of 2-note, and work on the bass stuff, but you've definitely got the right idea. You guys are all doing great!
Like this, or am I doing to much here?

Dekudude

Hmm. That's more along the lines of what I'm looking for, but it could still probably use some fine tuning. Notice how some parts, with this version, sound really good, and close to the original, while others sound a little different. For example, take 11-14. Though the chords appear to be right, it sounds a little off regardless. In those places, power chords might be the better way to go. A couple other places sound a little strange, but as we ARE throwing around notes that aren't in the original, it's all up to everyone's personal preference. Play around with it, and see if you can get it a little closer.

Also, I'm not saying it's just 11-14, or that those four are particularly problematic. They just sound a little strange to me. I may or may not be wrong. Are you still working in whatever jazz scale this is in when putting in chords?

Lastly, try putting in the oom-pah in the bass. Let's see what that does.

This is sounding really good! Keep it up!

Bloop

Wait, dang. I had added MANY number 4-articulations (don't know the names of all those things) but I didn't saved it.

EDIT: Here!: http://www.mediafire.com/?3s9d8qr86ulhxdr

Dekudude

It's called a staccato. :) Sadly, even with that, I think the same problem's still there. It sounds great, but it doesn't sound RIGHT. Try changing some of the chords into power chords. (1sts and 5ths only) Sorry I can't make some of these changes myself, but I don't have Notepad. :(

WiiMan96

A wild correction troll appears!

*Correction troll uses Correct!

*bam*

"That articulation is called simply "accent and staccato", essentially both normal and staccato accents combined together!"

...it's not very effective.

*Dekudude uses Slap!

...it's super effective!

*Correction troll fainted!

Bloop

Quote from: WiiMan96 on March 01, 2011, 09:12:34 PMA wild correction troll appears!

*Correction troll uses Correct!

*bam*

"That articulation is called simply "accent and staccato", essentially both normal and staccato accents combined together!"

...it's not very effective.

*Dekudude uses Slap!

...it's super effective!

*Correction troll fainted!
Is there an Slap-articulation to? would be handy, it's super effective

Quote from: Dekudude on March 01, 2011, 04:08:41 PMIt's called a staccato. :) Sadly, even with that, I think the same problem's still there. It sounds great, but it doesn't sound RIGHT. Try changing some of the chords into power chords. (1sts and 5ths only) Sorry I can't make some of these changes myself, but I don't have Notepad. :(
What do you mean with 1sts and 5ths? 1sts and 5ths from a measure?

FallenPianist

No, i think a power chord is for example

D Major: Just use D and A(not F sharp)

Sekter77

Yup. Since the third is removed from the chord, it's really not possible to tell if the chord is major or minor thus adding some neat ambiguity to the song. To make them, just do as FallenPianist said and make a major or minor chord from the note and take out the note in the middle.
Guitar and video games.

DonValentino

Wow, this is a really tough arrangement, as I see!  :o

Anyways, it´s looking pretty well!  :)

Don´t give up! This song is EPIC!!  :D

Bloop

here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qgkmccn9l49ompm

So is it now epic and right enough to make the repeat, and going further in the song?

Dekudude

Well, you don't just need two note chords. In the D example, you can have A D A, D A D, etc. You don't just need it how you had it before. And also, I'm not saying it's necessary to have it this way everywhere. Just play with it. If something sounds wrong, try throwing in a "power chord," which is what I always heard them called.

I liked the three note one better. It just needs some tweaking.

Jub3r7

But we don't want an arrangement that is too difficult to play...
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

WiiMan96

Quote from: Jub3r7 on March 02, 2011, 03:42:57 PMBut we don't want an arrangement that is too difficult to play...

Players can always remove notes if they're difficult, they won't think to add them. Obviously it should still be physically possible though in terms of hand span etc.

Take Deku's Puzzle Plank Galaxy, for example. At first look, apart from the speed and grace notes it looks fairly simple to play. Repetitive baseline, simple rhythms in both hands, nothing polyphonic, no chords flung about in the melody line. When you try and play it, however, the main melody is a lot more awkward fingering-wise to pull off, and the grace notes are no exception. So I removed the grace notes and slowed it down. If Deku had written for the speed to be lower for "difficulty reasons" and the grace notes removed or simplified, it would have taken away from the piece and I wouldn't have bothered to add it anyway even if I was capable of playing it.

...fairly pointless ramble, but y'know. It's fun. :P

Bloop

http://www.mediafire.com/?q4rdbuonkz9wsvv

Ok, earlier I was working on the solo after this, but I can't get the first note. :S

The Deku Trombonist

Bb - Db - C - A(natural) - Bb - Gb - F - Ab

To start you off