News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Wikipedia project

Started by dahans, February 18, 2011, 12:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

Contributing is a good Idea regardless of how small of a step it may be. I had to push and push for the PDF's being added to the site. Everybody put me down, everybody said JaMaHa wouldn't allow it, everybody said "There's no way JaMaHa would put a newbie in charge of it." And look now? It made a change and now people are commenting on the accessibility of our sheets. People love it! A wikia may be pointless for the most part, but it could hurt us in no way whatsoever, if members want to contribute in ANY way I suggest to never put them down, its a thoughtful idea and if they want to do it, let them. None of us are stupid, we know it's a small project, but it still helps. let people help if they want! Who knows, if it attracts even ONE more member, or informs one more person, then boom, our community expanded.

Advertising really is the key, all these "old timer" members who thing NOTHING will ever help are just wrong. Everything helps.

Maybe we're one step closer to becoming "notable" in Wikipedia's definition.

I just hate to see people being put down for a good deed. Especially if it's benefiting the person who is putting them down.

So please let these good people take time out of their day to help a site. Could it hurt? Nope. Not a bit.

Dude

Quote from: winterkid09 on March 01, 2011, 12:46:48 PMMaybe we're one step closer to becoming "notable" in Wikipedia's definition..
No, and we won't be on there until our active member amount grows by about 50x.

Seriously guys, this is a waste of time. Just get back to arranging and forget this.

Winter

It still couldn't hurt. Name one detrimental effect that it could have on NSM

Shadoninja

no one but you is saying that it's going to hurt NSM, I can't speak for everyone else, but it's pointless to have a separate wikia when we could just put it in a section of the website. the extras section could use some more content.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

I hate it when old members try to act like they are better than new members--which they could be, but not for that reason (*cough*SFK*cough*). Name one thing KF has contributed to this site other than sarcasm and derogatory comments.

At least I've arranged like four or five songs.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

I'm not saying it will hurt NSM, it's just stupid. Why would anyone give a rat's ass about the "History of NSM"? Nothing worthwhile happened.

Jub3r7

I thought that the creation of NSM was worthwhile.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Dude

Well I wouldn't know about that. As I came 3 or so months after.

The only people who would know about that are JaMaHa or G-Han. Good luck trying to get them to help you.

universe-X

Is this seriously still being debated? o_o

Honestly, I don't think NinSheetMusic needs a Wikipedia Page. Search up "-insert video game- sheet music" and with over 1700 sheets and counting we're bound to have it. Plus, I doubt many people will wonder about the history of NSM (which will most likely be all that's put on the Wiki page anyway) unless they're part of the forum :|

Sekter77

I'm sorry but really, we do not need a wiki page. I've been ambivalent before, but this has to be said. We simply do not have enough material to make the wiki serve a substantial purpose. If anything should be done, we should look at maybe the extras section like Shadoninja said. There's enough stuff to get fixed up on the main website without having to worry about updating an entirely different site too.

Though I do appreciate NSM, all the sheet music it has bestowed upon the internet, and the opportunity it's given me to arrange and submit, it cannot claim to be something it's not. We just do not have the prestige to warrant this kind of undertaking.

If you really want to increase NSM's notability and notoriety, something a lot more ambitious than the creation of a wiki page will have to be done. We'll also have to be a lot more motivated as a website to accomplish anything. It'll take hard work and great ideas to really get this place into the upper echelons of internet fame or any echelon of internet fame for that matter. If someone gets a great and feasible idea, I'd gladly donate some time to it. But the ideas have to come first and a wiki page does not fit that classification. Maybe someday, but not today.
Guitar and video games.

universe-X

Quote from: Sekter77 on March 01, 2011, 05:13:44 PMThough I do appreciate NSM, all the sheet music it has bestowed upon the internet, and the opportunity it's given me to arrange and submit, it cannot claim to be something it's not. We just do not have the prestige to warrant this kind of undertaking.

Are you kidding? We're too good for Wikipedia. :P

Sekter77

Quote from: universe-X on March 01, 2011, 05:37:52 PMAre you kidding? We're too good for Wikipedia. :P

Ok. You got me there.  :)
Guitar and video games.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: pumpy_heart on March 01, 2011, 10:32:26 AMThe strive for improvement should be seen as promising, not pointless.

Ok, but how is making a wiki an improvment for the site? This site hasn't done enough to see where creating such a thing would be worthwhile. All this site does is provide sheet music; its not a compendium for the games associated, just a library. Why create another website whose only purpose is to describe said library? The only worthwhile I saw throughout this thread is a history of the site, not much history for this place to devote an entire wiki to.

However, a nice addition for this site would be a clearly displayed mission statement.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

master_gamer38

Quote from: winterkid09 on March 01, 2011, 01:21:59 PMIt still couldn't hurt. Name one detrimental effect that it could have on NSM

You're dividing the resources that NSM has. Rather than start a ton of different projects, why not finish what's started?
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Winter

Attracting more members would help us finish out current projects. xD that's why.