News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

Wikipedia project

Started by dahans, February 18, 2011, 12:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jub3r7

Tell your friends. I just got a new member in today.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

DrP

Do we have an organized list of current projects. All I know about is the long overdue Banjo Kazooie/Tooie project.

Perhaps we can delegate and and commit to working on different projects.

I know Winter and I are under fire for the wiki... and I do agree, a whole new site, a whole new host, a who new web address... C'est not the best, you know.

Perhaps, maybe once the projects come to near completion (whatever the amount is), we can do a site redesign. Update it with new web technologies (if our server supports it) create a new logo (it is cool) and do what MG said, write a mission statement, and do what others are saying is an "About" section... who we are, what we do, why we do it, etc.

I am officially admitting that creating the wiki was a hasty decision, and I'll keep it up just for a while longer while I do a little more research.  I think we should keep anything here. Hopefully we can bring everything to the future of the web and all.

Our priority should be 1) Finish Projects 2) Weed out Spambot members with a RE-CATCHPA and trying to get new/deserted members here 3)Updating the site to new web standards.

WiiMan96

Quote from: drpamplemousse on March 01, 2011, 08:42:57 PM3)Updating the site to new web standards

Of course, the only person currently able to do that is JaMaHa, and that would mean he'd need to find time and do work. And that's after his military service. Besides, I'm not sure if he is overly experienced in HTML and PHP. (It did take him a while to figure out how to make the new uploader, that's all I'm going on here.)

If JaMaHa can't or won't, he could give someone else the job of coding, although he'd have to really, and I mean REALLY trust that person because they'd have the power to tinker with the database and write malicious code. I'd be more than willing (and I'm sure a lot of you will jump up and down now for it) but that's unfair to expect that.

Or JaMaHa will say the site doesn't need it and it serves its purpose. Which it does. But because it hasn't been updated graphically and web development strategies have improved significantly since it was first designed, many potential users might think the site is poorly managed and/or never updated. Not true of course, but the impression it gives is inherent.

In conclusion, it would be nice, but at the moment we don't have the capacity to do that.

...just my 124 cents.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: universe-X on March 01, 2011, 02:48:31 PMSearch up "-insert video game- sheet music" and with over 1700 sheets and counting we're bound to have it.
We might be bound to have it, but does it actually show up in a Google search? Try it out.

Quote from: drpamplemousse on March 01, 2011, 08:42:57 PMDo we have an organized list of current projects. All I know about is the long overdue Banjo Kazooie/Tooie project.
In order of when they were started:
1) Fixing the Sheets
2) Fulfilling the Requests
3) B-K/B-T Video Project
4) Adding PDFs

A mission statement would be nice and I agree about the need for a decent About/Extras section.

Quote from: WiiMan96 on March 01, 2011, 09:02:40 PMI'd be more than willing (and I'm sure a lot of you will jump up and down now for it) but that's unfair to expect that.
*Starts jumping*

Quote from: WiiMan96 on March 01, 2011, 09:02:40 PM...just my 124 cents.
Woah, don't overspend or anything.

DrP

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on March 01, 2011, 10:28:27 PMA mission statement would be nice and I agree about the need for a decent About/Extras section.

I'd be glad to write that.

I'd also want to help in the site design.

Also, should we weed out requests that are over a year old? That might make things easier.

WiiMan96

Quote from: drpamplemousse on March 01, 2011, 11:02:35 PMAlso, should we weed out requests that are over a year old? That might make things easier.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that there are demand for sheets that aren't requested. If they are requested, there is a high chance that many others have looked for them and given up. Personally I'd like to keep them.

Also, in regards to page rankings, the best way to go about that is develop a reputation on other sites. Get other more formidable sites to link to us and not only do we get more visitors, but it better encourages search engines to bump up the page ranking. Keywords on both the main site and categories should probably be optimised so people typing in specific things like "kingdom hearts piano sheet music" will get the kingdom hearts page first. There's a few good articles about bumping page rankings on the net, many suggesting using keywords which are "competitive", that is those which encompass a large amount of what we do but aren't used by thousands of other sites.

Sekter77

After some tests with Google: searching "nintendo sheet music" puts us as number one, but "video game sheet music" or "game sheet music" puts us in the middle of the second page. Anything game specific ("mario sheet music", "zelda sheet music") puts us past the point where I would stop looking. The only searches where I found NSM were "pokemon sheet music" (5th page) and "donkey kong sheet music" (3rd page).

I think keywords are the biggest problem here. There's hardly any text around the site describing anything. It's nice that everything around here is pretty self-explanatory, but there aren't any keywords that really spell out exactly what we offer to anyone trying to search for quality video game sheet music.

Having other websites link to us would also be a big help in boosting our page ranking. We'd have to find some way to advertise our site though so people will want to share what we do. There's plenty of game and game music blogs so maybe we can get a couple to support us.

Also, finishing the projects we have would definitely make us a little more organized and professional. Creating a mission statement and adding to the About page shouldn't be too hard, but it would also help add some foundation.
Guitar and video games.

fingerz

Yeah, I can agree with that. I only found this website through pure chance. I'd have to say it was the luckiest thing that happened. :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jub3r7

The "about" page doesn't seem like it would take years to make.

If someone wants to, they could type it up here for people to copy, edit, and add to until it seems good enough for the site.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

DrP

I'd love to write it, but I would need some assistance from someone who's been here before everything collapsed before the ninsheetm.us days (as ninsheetmusic.net)

KefkaticFanatic

Give me a single reason why having a wiki will help enhance the function of the site as a sheet music archive.

me irl
[close]

dahans

Woah I thought this topic was dead xDDDDDD (I should be more active again) Anyway, what's going on? xD
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Jamaha

Okay, couple of things.

One, a wiki makes no sense, still. A wiki is for something that needs multiple articles/pages. A simple "About" or "History of NSM" needs just one webpage, not a whole wiki.

Having a wiki also wouldn't increase our traffic at all, because for it to do so, people would need to find said wiki. A random wiki wouldn't show up on any search engine, nor any other site. At least not more ofen than the main site.

So please, stop discussing the wiki. As much as we appreciate help, people coming up their own ideas and registering things in NSM's name tends to hurt site more than it helps. Eg. NSM's YouTube channel.

As for the site makeover or whatsover. I have a project in the works. But alas, I'm serving in the military. I try to get some time every once in a while to continue the project, with the aim to finish it before getting home, aka next July.

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Winter

Quote from: JaMaHa on March 03, 2011, 10:51:53 AMEg. NSM's YouTube channel.

I found that. It really pissed me off.