News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Perfect Pitch

Started by Psychic_Ness, February 25, 2011, 04:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Perfect pitch simply isn't necessary. Just something to boast about (though I don't know why).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ruto

Perfect pitch makes it easier to transcribe...that's all I know. But it doesn't make you better at music than the next guy.

Some of the music majors I know actually joke about perfect pitch being more of an annoyance. When someone hits a wrong note, the guy (with perfect pitch) gets really irritated and stomps out of the room.  Think of the "bitchy artist" type of fit.

“I said ‘Step pause turn pause pivot step step,’ not “Step pause turn pause pivot step pause!’ Oh, shudder!”

No offense, guys....

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Sekter77

Nor do I have perfect pitch. I can't even tune by ear hardly. Whenever I transcribe, I have to play along to the song with an instrument (my guitar usually) until the note I'm playing matches the note in the song. I'm getting a little faster at it cause it's starting to take fewer guesses to get the right pitch though. I guess I just know when something sounds harmonious and in key, but I couldn't tell you what note or key it is just by hearing it.

And I've heard the same thing about perfect pitch Ruto. People say that it is really frustrating when something sounds off.
Guitar and video games.

WiiMan96

Yeah, I can imagine. "Mooooommmm, your toilet needs retuning!"

Winter

Alright nevermind. I only have perfect pitch if I play Mad World in the morning. then i can remember the pitch of an A flat and tune everything to it.

MaestroUGC

That's not perfect pitch, that's relative pitch.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Winter

Yep :P

Perfect pitch means you can:

* Identify by name individual pitches (e.g. A, B, C♯) played on various instruments
    * Name the key of a given piece of tonal music just by listening (without reference to an external tone)
    * Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass
    * Accurately sing a given pitch without an external reference
    * Name the pitches of common everyday noises such as car horns
    * Identify the numerical value in hertz of a given note.

universe-X

Perfect pitch becomes really useful when you're tuning notes to semitones. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buGvGMvtwgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHHzop0ha6Y

The ensemble in the first vid is tuned to a more "historically correct A" (which sounds really good imo).

The ensemble in the second vid is tuned to A 440 (or close. Idk, I didn't attempt to find out :P).

Olimar12345

no perfect pitch here-dont need it. :)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

Quote from: winterkid09 on February 28, 2011, 01:57:54 PMYep :P

Perfect pitch means you can:

* Identify by name individual pitches (e.g. A, B, C♯) played on various instruments
    * Name the key of a given piece of tonal music just by listening (without reference to an external tone)
    * Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass
    * Accurately sing a given pitch without an external reference
    * Name the pitches of common everyday noises such as car horns
    * Identify the numerical value in hertz of a given note.

nvm then.

BobbyTheCat

I can recognize F and C. And sometimes A.
Signatureâ,,¢

I love ETFROXX.

Tangy

I have relative pitch down... I'm still trying for perfect pitch. :) I can usually tell what an individual note played on piano is... that's about it, more than one note and I get confused. xD

Greg

I can usually tune my violin decently without a piano... which is good since I don't have tuning pipes :P

And I can identify notes simply because I know what a C sounds like.  :-\

kirby_superstar

I don't have perfect pitch by any means. But I try my best. I have to practise a lot because one must be good at pitching to sing. I am really good at discerning out of tune notes (in a bitchy artist way). I get terribly annoyed when someone hands me a tuner as a courtesy gesture. Musicians should use a tuner whenever possible though. It furthers your training...but WHEN I know very well that I'm playing with perfect pitch, it really bothers me. Especially because usually, someone who plays ignorantly out of tune is the one offering me the tuner. T.T Singing with a tuner is incredibly beneficial though. And watching your tuner is a great way to hone your craft as you play most any instrument. Percussion players only ever need to tune BEFORE playing, so something like a tuner when playing isn't as important in this case.

My brother and I like to play a game where we play a note and make the other guess the note. It's a fun way to practise perfect/relative pitch. C: He's waaaay better than me at it. Lol. He uses relative pitch, but I swear it's nearly perfect. He almost always guesses within a semi-tone, little bastard. (I'm a better musician though, bahahaha. Okay. I'm 3 years older and have a more mature voice. He's great. ^_^)
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.