News:

Subscribe to our Twitch Channel!

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

Quote from: Winter on December 02, 2013, 06:40:38 AMHaswell is a pain in the ass to overclock. It's going to hit a heat barrier much sooner due to Intel putting crappy thermal paste under the integrated heat spreader, so have fun. I got mine to about 4.3Ghz on air before I crashed the first time, but I wasn't really that serious about the overclock, I was just fiddling around with some settings since I just bought it.

You should be fine with that cooling. I personally prefer air cooling with a few huge 140mm's on it..

Sounds like your fine with that much drive space. and it really is fine as long as you know how to manage it. I basically moved my entire Users directory onto my 2TB drive to save system space.

Also at least for me, when emulating games/streaming games I do manage to actually use all 8 logical threads effectively. But I understand why you would pick the i5 for cost purposes.
Oh, I didn't know that about Haswell. The great thing about the board I bought is there is a little switch I can flip and it will overclock the processor into the first stage of overclocking.

I'm gonna be using 120mm fans though, but my case came with a 200mm one on the side. Plus they light up!

I just wish that the 4770 didnt cost $100 more. Plus the fact now I have to get a new car soon is leaving me scrambling for pennies (plus the crazy amounts of debt I'm in) -- I'm just waiting for my BTC money to come so I can make the purchase!

Mashi

ha you fools
while youre spending money on bitcoins to make a profit, ive found an immediate solution
ive just saved 15% or more on car insurance by switching to geico

MaestroUGC

Yeah, I just don't spend money I don't have and don't buy things I don't need.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

^same.

Also mashi wins
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Ruto

Quote from: Mashi on December 02, 2013, 11:22:32 AMha you fools
while youre spending money on bitcoins to make a profit, ive found an immediate solution
ive just saved 15% or more on car insurance by switching to geico

A+++++++++

The Canon 5D Mark III is marked down to $1359 from $3299. WTF WHY DON'T I EVEN HAVE $1359...

I guess I'll have to be happy with my 7D for another few years D;

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Winter

Quote from: DrP on December 02, 2013, 10:56:38 AMOh, I didn't know that about Haswell. The great thing about the board I bought is there is a little switch I can flip and it will overclock the processor into the first stage of overclocking.

I'm gonna be using 120mm fans though, but my case came with a 200mm one on the side. Plus they light up!

I just wish that the 4770 didnt cost $100 more. Plus the fact now I have to get a new car soon is leaving me scrambling for pennies (plus the crazy amounts of debt I'm in) -- I'm just waiting for my BTC money to come so I can make the purchase!

Up until Ivy Bridge and Haswell they sautered the chips to the IHS, now it's crappy TIM

Anyway, make sure to get a 4670k or you can't overclock! I also am not a bifg fan of any onboard overclocking tools. they wind up getting you an ineffective overclock in which the voltage is very excessive. I have a supposed OC Genie on my board, and it's really just terrible.

I miss how easy overclocking used to be. there were only like 6 options, and all that mattered was cooling, lol.

SuperFireKirby

I've never actually understood the point of overclocking. Explain, plox.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Winter

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 02, 2013, 05:25:05 PMI've never actually understood the point of overclocking. Explain, plox.

It's the process of raising the clock speeds of various system components (CPU, Graphics Card, Chipsets, RAM)

By raising the clock speeds, the system can do more operations per second, and thus... it's faster. Usually. Sometimes an overclock can be unstable, however with some experience and time, you can find a speed that is stable and doesn't generate too much heat.

Nowadays you have to buy processors that are unlocked to even do this, but it can be quite worth it if you require that power.

Anyway, that's about it. Very few things are going to require that much speed, but if for example a program is not dual-core optimized, it's forced to tun on one core (or thread) and the maximum performance of that thread is based on how many instructions per clock a processor can handle, and the clock speed. If your program or game is using 100% of your CPU power, you can overclock to move past that bottleneck. I overclock particularly to run Shadow of the Colossus on a PS2 emulator closer to a true 60FPS at a higher than intended resolution. This is a Dual-Core optimized program, yet it'll use the full power of both threads rather quickly. Also I do this with Xenoblade Chronicles. It's much better at 2560x2112 resolution. than the 640x480 of the Wii.. XD

DrP

Quote from: Winter on December 02, 2013, 04:49:21 PMAnyway, make sure to get a 4670k or you can't overclock!
Yes, I KNOW!!!

In other news:

I haz new car. Woot.

Winter

heck yeeah! I just fixed my starter last week, it's nice to drive again.

DrP

I find it super cool that I can drive my car using the electric engine entirely  -- no more spending gas to drive to go jogging around the lake or a trip to the grocery store!

NO GAS!! WOOO! And then I can drive using the gas engine whenever and if I really need it, both engines will go together.

GaryOak

Speaking of cars, my dad drove mine two weeks ago and had an epileptic attack. My car is no more :(.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

Zunawe

Quote from: DrP on December 02, 2013, 10:56:38 AMI'm gonna be using 120mm fans though, but my case came with a 200mm one on the side. Plus they light up!
Important thing to remember about fan choices: Blue means better cooling, red means faster, and green means better graphics.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

DrP

So thanks to the crazy sales this past weekend, my ideal memory and graphics card choices were taken..

So new updated specs:

8 GB 1600 MHz Kingston Blu Memory (1 DIMM) -- Winter, do you think 2 DIMMs would be better?
2 GB XFX Double D 7870 GHz Edition GC.

Winter

With modern motherboards, I would ALWAYS reccommend 2 DIMMS rather than 1, this allows them to run in Dual Channel together and providing you with a much higher throughput. Personally I run 2x8gb because I don't want to be limited with 16gb with no slots left.

Yes, get another identical stick of memory.

Also 7870 Ghz edition, heck yes! It's nearly 2x as fast as my graphics card (650 Ti Boost OC'd to 1300Mhz)