News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Yeah, wheat is a perfectly fine source of carbs, it's just that white bread is awful, and too much wheat can be bad. That's...actually kind of disappointing to me that your teacher implied that it "must" be bad for you based on that loose association, considering there are so many other variables involved with plant/animal domestication than introduction of wheat.

I really think that everybody should take a statistics course at some point in their lives, if only to learn the fact that
correlation does not imply causation.

But yeah, that assumption seems to totally disregard proper statistical and medicinal analysis.

FireArrow

I don't remember any of the facts, but there is some reason why modern wheat is bad for you.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FierceDeity

Refined white flour is bad for you (which is probably what you're talking about in terms of "modern flour", as it's most common, but there are definitely healthier options available), and wheat in general is bad in excess, but I've yet to see any evidence suggesting that it's unhealthy to have wheat in moderation.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FierceDeity on March 06, 2014, 03:40:12 PMtoo much wheat can be bad.
Fun fact: drinking too much water can kill you. Thus, we must assume that water is bad for you.

That's modern logic right there.

Quote from: FireArrow on March 06, 2014, 03:45:06 PMI don't remember any of the facts, but there is some reason why modern wheat is bad for you.
I think it has to do with the chemicals they use to process the wheat, in which case it's not exclusive to wheat...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

DrP

Yeah, something about the way it's processed and such.

That's why I buy unbleached wheat..

What you do is go to Whole Foods, look at their selection and then go other places and see if other places carry what Whole Foods has in stock (because Whole Foods is SOOOO expensive).

And yes, I am eating fruits in the forms of dried fruit (dried mangos, dried berries).

And I am eating half an avocado a day for all those healthy fats and omega 3s and stuff (except I'd eat 1 avocado a day, except they aren't exactly really cheap (and I'm from California where they are supposed to be cheap))

FierceDeity

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 06, 2014, 03:51:29 PMFun fact: drinking too much water can kill you. Thus, we must assume that water is bad for you.

That's modern logic right there.
I think it has to do with the chemicals they use to process the wheat, in which case it's not exclusive to wheat...

we must rid the world of the dangerous dihydrogen monoxide

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

And yeah, it's mostly the processing that the food goes through, hence why white rice is also not the best for you.

blueflower999

Dihydrogen Monoxide is freaking deadly.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 06, 2014, 04:23:44 PMDihydrogen Monoxide is freaking deadly.
So many people die from it each year
it's very dangerous
you probably have it in your house
CAREFUL!!!
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 06, 2014, 04:23:44 PMDihydrogen Monoxide is freaking deadly.
...really? did you really just-

why

why would-

i cant even
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

FireArrow

I remember the wheat thing having to do with the way it's genetically modified, but I guess that's pretty much the same thing.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Just saw all the wheat stuff
no it's definitely causation
I mean there are a lot of factors
but as a whole the life of a farmer was much less healthy than that of a hunter/gatherer
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

All of the GMO stuff is fear mongering, there is 0 scientific evidence of harmful effects :P

me irl
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 06, 2014, 04:33:06 PMJust saw all the wheat stuff
no it's definitely causation
I mean there are a lot of factors
but as a whole the life of a farmer was much less healthy than that of a hunter/gatherer

Your evidence that it's definitely causation seems to be another statement of correlation.
...This is what I mean when I say everybody should take statistics.

Pit0010

http://www.sydneysymphony.com/media/974354/prog106_20140307_replay_sso.pdf

I'm gonna watch this exclusive video game concert trwm! :D
Check out dat program! SO MUCH GOODNESS
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030