News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on July 08, 2015, 01:01:48 AMit's quite valuable general life knowledge

^^
honestly everyone should have to take statistics, even if only to understand the fact that correlation ≠ causation

Hero of Trains

I agree, though I already knew many of the logical fallacies and biases addressed, due to some books I read at a very young age (I did a book report on "How to Lie with Statistics" in second grade). I think the most helpful part for me was probably hypothesis tests.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Nebbles

Switched majors and now I am welcomed into the world of a music major, woo!
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Olimar12345

^I thought you already switched majors? I remember you posting about it...or is this like the worst case of déjà vu and I'm actually going insane slowly?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Nebbles

LOL well I made the official switch today at my school.

Olimar12345

Ah. I AM SANE. Well, congrats! Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Nebbles

Any tips you'd like to share? We could discuss this over Skype.

SlowPokemon

Practice twice as much as you think you need to. And legit practice, meaning you should be playing what you're assigned, not anything for fun until you've accomplished things with your assigned pieces.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 08, 2015, 07:47:00 PMPractice twice as much as you think you need to.

^ You'll be spending much more time in the practice room than you probably conceived was possible.

Nebbles

Pianist Da Sootopolis

More important than the quantity of practice is the quality.
Someone who works 30 minutes on a given piece/set of pieces (let's say, this set of Rachmaninoff pieces) but does so in a manner where he's coming out understanding something more about the piece and having a firmer grasp on it is far more efficient practice.
As far as practice tips are concerned, I've found that listening to the piece constantly until it's memorized in your head is one of the best things you can do away from the keyboard, as well as study the score.
One of the biggest challenges in piano playing is connecting your mental knowledge of the piece to what your hands are doing.
For instance, I could (very terribly) sing the entire melody of the Chopin A flat ballade, from memory (I have it memorized in my head, so to speak, like you might memorize the lyrics to a pop song after listening to it enough), and it makes it that much easier to play it.
Singing whatever you're playing inside your head is also a good way of memorizing it mentally.
Some guidelines for efficient practicing-
-Be memorizing any common recurring patterns frequently (IE in the 1st piece of the Rachmaninoff, the LH patterns alone could be the target of a practice session, to have them memorized by the end of the session)
-Identify all technical problems (this should be done as early as possible with any piece- even before choosing to study it, if possible), and then find adequate solutions to them, and practice the solutions (even if it's as simple as exercises, or excerpts from another piece that work on the same technique)
-In pieces with polyphony (multiple lines at the same time) practice each line individually using the fingering you would be using in the context of the passage

I'm too lazy to think of any others right now...
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

Well yeah quality practice is key, but quantity is incredibly important and shouldn't be underplayed like that. Spend a lot of time practicing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 08, 2015, 09:22:23 PMWell yeah quality practice is key, but quantity is incredibly important and shouldn't be underplayed like that. Spend a lot of time practicing.
My point was mainly that quality is far more important, and to make sure you're practicing well, but yes. Practice a lot :) Just practice WELL. Otherwise you're better off juggling for hand dexterity and coordination.
what is shitpost

Nebbles

Another thing I need is like... stage presence. It sounds stupid, but I get stage fright very easily. What's the best way to conquer it?

Olimar12345

Quote from: Nebbles on July 08, 2015, 10:00:46 PMAnother thing I need is like... stage presence. It sounds stupid, but I get stage fright very easily. What's the best way to conquer it?

To do it a lot. Play for everyone you can and try not to think too hard about it. Let yourself get lost in the music.