How long does it take for you to arrange a piece?

Started by Master_Z, June 14, 2011, 08:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

No laptop (or portable keyboard) so no such option for meh o:

me irl
[close]

dahans

It takes me about 2 hours if I like the piece :D. Otherwise it might take me a week.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Nana1Popo2

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on June 22, 2011, 01:49:32 PMArranged by listening to the song by a piano, figuring out individual notes and marking them on paper, and then putting that into Finale.

that's actually how I still do it, haha. Works well!

for me, considering how detailed I can be, about.. a few weeks.. only because I rarely have time. for a piano piece.
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

Clanker37

Meh it depends on how I like the piece. If I love it I will start it and finish it in one go usualy taking about 5 hours max, but if I don't really like it sometimes it can take weeks. Also if the piece is really difficult it can prolong it even further

Sekter77

It's usually only a matter of a few hours. I only pick short-ish songs most of the time though. Very few songs I've arranged have even gone up to 2 minutes in length. Once I get the motivation to start, I'll go through the whole arrangement in one or two sittings.

The hardest part is almost always the accompaniment because either I can't hear it very well over the melody or there's so many (or so few) parts that I don't know what I would write down. I decide which songs to arrange by figuring out if I can hear all the necessary parts in them. Songs that I would've liked to arrange I sometimes have to reject because they fail those criteria. That's why I love arranging classic tunes, especially Game Boy stuff. They have only a few distinct parts to them so it's easier to focus and decide what to write.
Guitar and video games.

Dudeman

Quote from: Sekter77 on June 26, 2011, 08:34:37 PMIt's usually only a matter of a few hours. I only pick short-ish songs most of the time though. Very few songs I've arranged have even gone up to 2 minutes in length. Once I get the motivation to start, I'll go through the whole arrangement in one or two sittings.

The hardest part is almost always the accompaniment because either I can't hear it very well over the melody or there's so many (or so few) parts that I don't know what I would write down. I decide which songs to arrange by figuring out if I can hear all the necessary parts in them. Songs that I would've liked to arrange I sometimes have to reject because they fail those criteria. That's why I love arranging classic tunes, especially Game Boy stuff. They have only a few distinct parts to them so it's easier to focus and decide what to write.
^This is me, as well.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Oritendo

SlowPokemon

I only arrange things I've already heard and like. Btw, I usually have youtube open in one window and finale also open, and I listen to maybe a five second chunk of the song several times until I can get the melody, then I listen purely for the bass to get that accurate as well.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Greg

Youtube... pshhh, I DOWNLOAD the video. Media player is the best for getting those hard-to-hear parts.

Shadoninja

audacity's even better because then you can adjust the tempo to your liking instead of having to use media player's default "slow" setting. also you can select a range of what's played so you can go over a certain measure(s) or a certain few beats.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Oritendo

Quote from: gzgregory on July 06, 2011, 03:00:53 PMYoutube... pshhh, I DOWNLOAD the video. Media player is the best for getting those hard-to-hear parts.
download, pshhh, I buy the game!  :)

EDIT: Ok, I don't BUY the game. if I don't have it I just dont try it.

SWMadness

Quote from: Sekter77 on June 26, 2011, 08:34:37 PMThe hardest part is almost always the accompaniment because either I can't hear it very well over the melody or there's so many (or so few) parts that I don't know what I would write down. I decide which songs to arrange by figuring out if I can hear all the necessary parts in them. Songs that I would've liked to arrange I sometimes have to reject because they fail those criteria. That's why I love arranging classic tunes, especially Game Boy stuff. They have only a few distinct parts to them so it's easier to focus and decide what to write.

Yeah, I've been trying to work on a few Kirby's Epic Yarn songs, and I've been running into those problems. The recognizable melody is shared between several different layers and it's kind of tricky to figure out how to combine them together into a playable form.