News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Best computer for gaming?

Started by Ragster2448, June 17, 2011, 06:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymondbl

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new topic or not, but this thread has lots of information on it, so...

Anyway, I am thinking about building a desktop.  However, I know next to nothing about computer hardware, so I'm here for some help.

This computer will be value-oriented, and will be used mostly for online schooling and surfing the internet.  I still need it to be capable of gaming though, like Call of Duty MW3. i gotz my own 720p monitor, so luckily don't need to buy that. 

1. Motherboard/SSD - If you know a cheaper motherboard that will also work, let me know. I only need about 100GB of space, because I won't be storing anything on this computer except for programs. That's why I was thinking about using a Crucial 120 GB SSD, but I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with my motherboard. Confirm please?

2. Case - I have no idea what case to use.  Can you give me a recommendation?  Won't need cooling fans.

3. Video Card - The first one I saw was this one, but Kefka said they were overpriced, so I want to know if this one was compatible with my motherboard. 

4. Processor/RAM - Intel Core i5-2500k Quad Core and 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM  No problems? I hope i5 is enough for MW3.

So far everything put together (with the ATI Radeon Video Card) is 620 bucks, if the SSD works.  Add a case and pirate Windows 7 and everything should turn out to be under 800.  Compared to this (click on review) though, and it seems to be a better deal than building a desktop, especially since that's a laptop (and it comes with i7).  what do you think?
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

KefkaticFanatic

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Corsair is scrub tier.  Get G.SKILL

That's the wrong socket on the motherboard.  Do more research.

Decent case would be Antec Three Hundred.  Don't get Coolermaster or another cheesy plastic brand.  Build quality is garbage.

me irl
[close]

Raymondbl

Thanks for the info!  After a bit more researching, here's the new draft -

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case

Intel Extreme p67 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 2500k

G.Skill 8GB RAM

Crucial 64GB SSD

VisionTek Radeon 5670 Video Card

Ok this is the part I'm still confused on.  What is the wrong socket on the motherboard? The video card?  And, once that's solved, the only problem I have left is the power supply.  I'm guessing at least 500 watts, but other than that I have no idea.  I still don't know how these sockets and e-SATA things work... 

KefkaticFanatic

Ah no it's actually ok, didn't realise it supported both extreme and standard 1155.  It's much more than you need to pay though.

me irl
[close]

Super Zombie

Just thought I'd add my two cents for posterity.

I have an m14x and it's definitely the best computer I've ever had. The quality is great, it runs things very well, and it's portable. Plus the keyboard lights are awesome.

For desktops, I'd build my own or get this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx. It's a new Alienware desktop computer that's the size of an Xbox 360 or PS3, yet you can still get in and customize it. And it's very reasonably priced (starts at $700).

Raymondbl

Super Zombie

That's a great deal, though the screen is kinda low res.

Raymondbl

Ya, but I can't afford Alienware :( 

Also I'm kind of waiting for the new generation of Ivy Bridge Intel Core processors.