Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

I enjoy them somewhat, because it makes certain parts of certain pieces louder and it provides a little more challenge than just playing one note.

Bespinben

#virizionlifelessons

"It's true that you probably shouldn't just trust anyone you meet right away, but... But...is trusting one another really such a terrible thing? Is it so wrong to believe in someone? I know there are a lot of dishonest Pokémon out there these days. But if you don't take that first step... ...then no one else is ever going to open up and trust you either, are they? I think...I think that trusting one another shows real strength. I think it's the realest strength we have."
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/bespinben/52-sympathy-and-sincerity-pmd-gates-to-infinity-piano-collections[/soundcloud]

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

(#52):Sympathy and Sincerity     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpEMZ4gmw-8
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Nitro Indigo

Gates to Infinity has all those moments, yet many people dislike it because it's apparently too happy. If there's anything Fullmetal Alchemist taught me, it's that things don't need to be sad to be good.
There hasn't been a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game since 2009, Tumblr? That's a funny way to spell the Adult Timeline.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Bespinben

#spoopydungeons...!

Started this back in April, but I think it's rather fitting I finished in October (spoopy dungeon ooo...!). Went for a different approach with the audio mastering this time; instead of extreme dynamics, I evened out the midi velocity levels and applied very light compression so that the end result would be a smoother listening experience that doesn't require you to have your hand on the volume constantly.

Also, very special thanks to dajwxp. I can't thank you enough for your beautiful performance and analysis of my last arrangement. That I'd finish production of this newest work the day of your upload seems all too fitting!

SoundCloud

[NDS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

{NEW}017:Foreboding Forest     

Sebastian

Man, that is a beautiful arrangement. Yet another one I can print off and play! Also, your formatting is awesome.
Keep up the great work.

cashwarrior1

THANK YOU! This is literally one of my favorite dungeon themes, I've been waiting for this!

Tobbeh99

Wow. Really wonderful! It was a while since you made an arrangement, and it's always nice to see/hear your great works! :)
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

daj

Quote from: Bespinben on October 15, 2016, 06:30:22 PMAlso, very special thanks to dajwxp. I can't thank you enough for your beautiful performance and analysis of my last arrangement. That I'd finish production of this newest work the day of your upload seems all too fitting!

Hey, technically sound and thoughtful arrangements are the most delightful to present as a performer. :) Thank you for your work, hehe~

And um, now I'm eyeing your most recent release. I love how your arrangements flow wonderfully on the piano (i.e. thoughtful writing), and to add some icing on the cake you throw in fun flourishes and interwoven parts for the performer to explore. Most of your stuff (yep, i went through quite a bit of your stuff) is tough to execute but fun to play, and I just love that kind of stuff.

I swear, you can't keep your game at this level unless you want to see a Bespinben live recording playlist in the near future. ;) I warned ya.

Bespinben

#im23nuzleaf

I treated this piece as an exercise in effective crafting of accompaniment textures in piano reductions. Written verbatim, the exact combination of bass, guitar, and pizzicato strings which make up the accompaniment in the OST results in an unpleasant wall of sonic mush, even if playable solo. By condensing and reinterpreting those elements, I hope to have preserved the integrity of composition as a whole while still culturing a pianistically idiomatic environment.

SoundCloud

[NDS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

{NEW}019:Let's Go to School!     

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on November 06, 2016, 09:30:58 PMBy condensing and reinterpreting those elements, I hope to have preserved the integrity of composition as a whole while still culturing a pianistically idiomatic environment.
After playing through this many times, I can say you sure did~
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

#merry spoopsmas
5-part arrangement/cover of シオンタウンのテーマ ("Lavender Town Theme"), track 31 of the soundtrack of 1997 role-playing video game ポケットモンスター 赤 (Pokémon Red Version). Commissioned by a group of students for a recording project at Rutgers University. Arranged for flute, trumpet, piano, and electric bass. Recorded at Studio B of Rutgers Electro-Acoustic Lab (REAL). Notated in Finale 2014; recording and post-processing via Pro Tools. Flute and trumpet recorded separately in Mono with AKG C414 large diaphragm condenser microphone in close positioning. Piano and electric bass tracked line-in directly into a 56 channel Yamaha 02R96VCMb 24-bit digital mixer.

Original 1997 track was limited by 3-voice polyphony limit of 8-bit Gameboy hardware (The GBS had two pulse waves, an arbitrary 4-bit wave channel, and a noise channel). The arrangement, not limited by technological constraints, offers a more atmospheric take on the iconic track (extended bass frequencies, reverberations, sustain parameters, orchestral timbres, etc.).

Special thanks to Nebbles for performing and realizing my arrangement. Couldn't have done this with you and your awesome friends.

SoundCloud

[GB] Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow

{NEW}Lavender Town     

Bespinben

#immaweegee#1
I created this transcription as part of my final project for a senior-level "jazz styles and analysis" course at Uni (that, I technically shouldn't have been able to enroll in due to not being a music major xD). The audio is ripped from the OST instead of my usual MIDI mock-up, because, since this is an EXACT transcription, the focus here is on notation rather than arrangement. It's my first time writing in this idiom, so I will gladly accept any input you all might have to improve the notation.

Also, I'll link the research paper I wrote in tandem with transcription, addressing the Mario Kart 8 OST as a trendsetter in modern digital recording. There's such a scarcity of decent literature on VGM, so I'll be happy to contribute to the little pool of resources on the subject. Just don't mind Kotaku and blogs being the only decent "sources" to cross-reference xD

Research Paper

[WIIU] Mario Kart 8

{NEW}Title Theme     

Static

This transcription is absolutely fantastic! I've been looking for a full score of this song for the longest time (none exist elsewhere at least to my knowledge), and it's so nice to finally see one!

I might consider showing this to the jazz band I'm in just for fun lol cuz this looks really fun to play.

Olimar12345

Really neat thing here! It's even more impressive that you wrote out each solo and the rhythm section parts.
You should rearrange it for a standard band and see if you can get it published! If you go this route, these are some standard common practices:
-A typical horn section set-up nowadays would be 8&5 (four trumpets, four bones (three tenors and a bass nowadays), and five saxes (two alto, two tenor, and a bari). Some charts are even bigger, having five trumpets, five bones, and five saxes.
-Usually all rhythm section parts, minus the drum set, have the chord changes included in their part.
-You'd need a DS part.
-You could utilize the "house-top" accent more. In jazz, the symbol is a hard tongue-stopped note, usually articulated as "DAHT" or "BAHP." For example, I'd use that in the second measure on beat two.
-It wouldn't be a bad idea to rewrite some of the electronic voices to acoustic voices as a back-up in order to accommodate different ensemble set-ups.

That's just off the top of my head though. But again, great job!

Edit: of course I almost forgot one of the biggest things! You might also want to consider opening a section up for strong players to solo over the changes! Jazz and swing music derives from improvised vocal music, so its common to see composers and arrangers of these genres in a sense paying homage to that.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!