News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

DO WANT.

Started by SlowPokemon, July 21, 2011, 04:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I still firmly believe that if you don't play a real piano, you don't play the piano. Keyboards are great and all but only as a supplement.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ricky

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 26, 2013, 04:56:58 AMI still firmly believe that if you don't play a real piano, you don't play the piano. Keyboards are great and all but only as a supplement.
A real piano? Digital pianos do count, they do most things better than uprights at least. And smaller grands have a fair share of issues so the only good "real piano" option is a good (concert) grand, which costs lots of money. Unless someone is slightly rich or just very dedicated I doubt that person will buy one.

MaestroUGC

I don't own a real piano, and I've never had the ability to do so.

Do you mean to tell me, Slow, that I don't play the piano? Do you mean to tell me that I can't play at all?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

sunnydelight18

The skill involved in playing a keyboard is no different than the skill involved playing a real piano. It's not like the keyboard is magically easier to play.

MaestroUGC

Strangely enough, the first piano I ever played is a Steinway Model B, does that mean I was once a true pianist, or have I fallen from grace?

Bubbles

Since I change houses in the summer, I have to use a keyboard instead of my usual upright. I've noticed that that usually means I don't play piano for the entire summer. Then again, my keyboard is about four octaves and has very hard to press keys, and I'm sure there's better models out there. I'm not agreeing with the not a real piano player thing, but man playing an actual piano is so much better

MaestroUGC

Oh, far much so, but to blindly say those of us who don't own or have access to an actual piano aren't real pianists is nothing more than insulting.

Nebbles

I don't have an actual piano either, but there's no room in my house for a lavish grand piano, and there's only so much space in my room if I wanted to get a larger keyboard.

But I'm pretty sure I can still play piano, so....
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 26, 2013, 09:11:30 AMI don't own a real piano, and I've never had the ability to do so.

Do you mean to tell me, Slow, that I don't play the piano? Do you mean to tell me that I can't play at all?

I'd say that you'll never be as good as you would be playing on a real piano. I firmly believe that.

Quote from: Ricky on August 26, 2013, 07:38:41 AMDigital pianos do count, they do most things better than uprights at least.

Nooooo. No they do not. xD

ALPRAS

You can't compare a digital keyboard to a "real" Piano, Upright or not.

The digital keyboards keys don't have any weight (apart from Yamaha's Avant grand), and the dynamics are not so well done.

You can actually learn playing Piano by playing in a keyboard, but you'll never learn everything, like how to control the weight, the dynamics, velocity, repeating rapidly the same key, etc...

sunnydelight18

That's actually not true. The majority of higher end keyboards have nicely weighted keys. Hell, even on my old keyboard, which was over 6 years old, you could easily control dynamics. My new keyboard plays better than my grand.

SuperFireKirby

Apparently, sunny and I are the only people on NSM who have ever played a proper keyboard.

They're cheaper, more manageable, and can fit through the fucking door of your house and any decent one plays very similar to an actual piano. Only a total snob would completely rule them out as an exceptional substitute to a real piano.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Guess you're calling almost all the music community total snobs. Weighted keys =/= real piano. My teacher won't even take students who don't have a real piano.

Olimar12345

^SFK's right, we are snobs.

But really, there's nothing wrong with keyboards these days. Sure, if you're a pianist, it might be in your best interest to eventually own a real one, but you shouldn't rip on the guys that can't get their hands on one. (last time I checked, pianos were expensive and musicians were poor xD)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

I'll concede to that! XD