News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

What's the hardest song you've arranged?

Started by fingerz, August 04, 2011, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

I'm sure all of us start arranging a song and regret it soon after starting. I'd like to hear about the hardest song you've arranged, why it was hard and how you overcame the problem (or something like that). Did you finish the song? RageQuit? Get help? LET'S HERE IT! :D
If you've got more than one, that's fine too.

Here's mine:
Dusk Forest - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
By far the hardest song I've arranged at the time. It was the 4th song I was going to arrange in my career and it took me a month and a half to finish. The song had a heavy use of chords, and at that time I had little experience with them. I had no trouble with most of the right hand, it was straight forward. The left hand was my problem. I had to figure out all those bloody chords! Pretty much, everyday I worked on that song I went back and check those chords everyday, changing them slightly so they sounded CORRECT! *Sigh*... that song was so damn time consuming and I'm happy the song turned out well. If it didn't I'd kill someone.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SlowPokemon

Apple Woods was annoying because of the lack of instrumentation (which made it harder)... Pokemon Contest from RS was pretty rough as was Exploration Team Theme. I know the easiest--probably Route 6 or Route 4 from BW :3
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Hehe, the title is a little misleading XD. I'm guessing based on your guys' posts however that you mean "What's the was the song you had the most trouble arranging?" In that case, I had a lot of trouble arranging my two piano duet of "Kanto Wild Pokémon Battle" from the anime, due to the fact that it was hard to pick out all the instruments in the anime orchestra. I managed to catch all the instruments in the end though.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Clanker37

Bowser's Castle

It almost had no left hand D: Also those stupid rythms! >8O Almost rage Quit

Also Sinister Woods was also very technical and I used many things I hadn't used in arranging before so thanks Bespinben -_-

Bespinben

Things like tremolos XD You're welcome Clanker  ;)

Shadoninja

Amber Valley for four hands. mainly because with four hands arrangements you have to double check that the right hand bass clef and left hand treble clef aren't clashing parts and even the primo and secondo parts can be a bit annoying. and no I will never convert to arranging for two pianos.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Bespinben

On the contrary Shadoninja, I like arranging for two pianos because it allows me more options in arranging, as sometimes there is a lot of note overlap between sections in an OST, and two pianos allows me to recreate that. Two pianos also allows me to choose combinations of left-hand and right-hand parts that are not rhythmically juxtaposed, as sometimes with four-hands arrangements, one player must play a hand that, when coupled with another, is challenging.

Bespinben

Yes, but they could be a lot more than they already are if I didn't do that as described above.

Cobraroll

Guess it is "Countdown to Race Start" from Mario Kart Double Dash. Figuring out those chords... gah!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

Guess, I had lots of trouble arranging my 3 medleys^^. It's pretty hard to have appropriate bridges between the songs (MODULATION!).
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Greg

I'm working on the NSMBW credits right now. Definitely the hardest thing I've arranged. The accompanying trumpet in particular is really annoying :/

Jub3r7

Quote from: Bespinben on August 10, 2011, 02:24:09 AMOn the contrary Shadoninja, I like arranging for two pianos because it allows me more options in arranging, as sometimes there is a lot of note overlap between sections in an OST, and two pianos allows me to recreate that. Two pianos also allows me to choose combinations of left-hand and right-hand parts that are not rhythmically juxtaposed, as sometimes with four-hands arrangements, one player must play a hand that, when coupled with another, is challenging.
Name one person that uses NSM who has two pianos, side by side, in their living room. -.-

The hardest song I've ever arranged would probably actually be very easy for any of you.
But I never finished it and my trial ran out. :|
Glee Club from Rhythm Heaven.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Brassman388

Quote from: Jub3r7 on August 12, 2011, 12:18:57 PMName one person that uses NSM who has two pianos, side by side, in their living room. -.-

Uhh, me?

Winter