News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Calling all arrangers!! Tetris Type A!!

Started by fingerz, August 17, 2011, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Hi everyone!

I've recently decided I'd like to arrange the arrangement of Yoko Shimomura's Tetris - Type A from Super Smash Bros Brawl (which in itself is an arrangement of an arrangement of a nineteenth-century Russian folk song) for my Senior Band at school. I was planning to do this myself, but I thought it would be a whole lot more fun if any of you wanted to help me so it's as good as it can be (and accurate :P).

I've never done anything this big before, so even if you don't want to help me, advice is always welcome. Also, I really don't care how much you want to contribute, even if it's just a couple of bars!

Thank you all and I hope you will consider helping me wth this daunting task. :)

WORK IS NOW IN PROGRESS!
TETRIS TYPE A
Bars 1 - 28 completed!
Check it out here!
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Bespinben

As much as I'd like to help, I've never arranged anything outside of piano, so yeah XD

One thing I can say is that, since you said this is for band, you could substitute the violin solo in the song with a flute or piano.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Brassman388

Get it started, instrumentation and all and see what you can get accomplished. If you need help with rhythms or tonal problems, I'll take a look at it and guide you through it.

fingerz

Quote from: Bespinben on August 17, 2011, 03:30:31 PMOne thing I can say is that, since you said this is for band, you could substitute the violin solo in the song with a flute or piano.
Yeah, we have a Piccolo player and she'll be able to do that. :)

Quote from: Brassman388 on August 17, 2011, 04:05:02 PMGet it started, instrumentation and all and see what you can get accomplished. If you need help with rhythms or tonal problems, I'll take a look at it and guide you through it.
Thanks Brassman! I was hoping you'd have a look at it for me. :D
I'll keep you guys posted on my progress!
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Bespinben

You know fingerz, you could just write out all the chord progressions and the melody and use the band-in-a-box plug-in to get an easy start.

fingerz

Quote from: Bespinben on August 17, 2011, 07:11:54 PMYou know fingerz, you could just write out all the chord progressions and the melody and use the band-in-a-box plug-in to get an easy start.
What's that?

Bespinben

It's a plug-in that comes with Finale 2011. It pretty much makes an orchestration out a single line. Here's a demonstration:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35209091/autoHarm.swf

Brassman388

No, get used to writing everything out manually, first.

fingerz

Quote from: Brassman388 on August 17, 2011, 10:46:49 PMNo, get used to writing everything out manually, first.
Yeah, I was thinking of writing it out by ear first and then see if I need to add more chords. :)

I'm going to start posting my progress! So far I've nearly done bars 1 - 16. There are a few things I don't know how to do yet though. I don't know how to write percussion parts! I'm getting taught soon so that'll be okay.

Also, the band is missing certain instruments, such as oboe, bassoon and violin, so I've given those parts to different instruments. Plus, I'm 1st Clarinet so... :P
The timpani roll at the start is in demi-semi quavers because I don't know how do write a roll.
Please tell me what you think and what needs improving. :)

Bespinben

I think note rolls can be written as a tremolo with 3+ bars underneath. That's at least how Finale interprets them.

fingerz

Alright gentlemen (and ladies)! I'm wrapping up today and I'll be back tomorrow with more for ya! :D

fingerz

Waha! Bars 1 - 16 done! Tell me whatcha think. :D

Bars 17 - 28 started!

Bespinben

Just listened to bars 1-16. SO AWESOME. I do think though that you should write the piccolo line with a transposed 8va treble clef, as that would be proper.

IAmYou

I've listened to what you have so far, and it sounds great. I do have a couple questions, though.

In bars 13-16, is there any particular reason for having the piccolo play that part and not the flutes? That A isn't very difficult to reach. Especially if you kept it to first flutes, and they'd definitely project better on those lower notes. Just wondering.

Are you writing this in concert pitch? Because that's what the file was in when I opened it. If so, I'd advise transposing, because it'll make it much easier for ranges and such.

Is your Bari Sax player very good? Those low As could be kind of hard to reach, especially slurring from a higher note. You might want to give that part to the tuba, too, for that recurring rhythm.

You are, in fact, notating the timpani rolls correctly.

fingerz

Quote from: IAmYou on August 23, 2011, 05:04:22 PMI've listened to what you have so far, and it sounds great. I do have a couple questions, though.

In bars 13-16, is there any particular reason for having the piccolo play that part and not the flutes? That A isn't very difficult to reach. Especially if you kept it to first flutes, and they'd definitely project better on those lower notes. Just wondering.

Are you writing this in concert pitch? Because that's what the file was in when I opened it. If so, I'd advise transposing, because it'll make it much easier for ranges and such.

Is your Bari Sax player very good? Those low As could be kind of hard to reach, especially slurring from a higher note. You might want to give that part to the tuba, too, for that recurring rhythm.

You are, in fact, notating the timpani rolls correctly.
Thanks IAmYou!
Okay, I'll check out the flutes and see whether I like it. :)
Don't worry, I know the ranges for each instrument and when I've finished I'm going to check everything.
Yes, the Bari Sax player is awesome and he can easily do that. I've added the Bass Clarinet to that part but if you really think I need the Tuba, I'll add it.