Spitllama's arrangements (Paper Mario TTYD "Story of The Thousand-Year Door")

Started by spitllama, August 17, 2011, 05:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

The last 4 measures give me chills, really! Everything is soothing and calm, but suddenly...  Anyways, it IS the part from the original SSBB song, so good.   :-\
Only thing: lack of some octaves on the left hand of Piano 2, like measure 15.
But... Very nice overall.  :)

EDIT: Oh, and both time signatures 6/8 or 3/4 could work... but I disagree with olimar and I'd rather 6/8, it fits better.

spitllama

Ok I'll change it back to octaves at certain points thanks Warioman
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Shadoninja

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 14, 2011, 11:04:59 AMRoost needs to be in 3/4, not 6/8 btw.

It can't be in 3/4. the beat is clearly divided in 3.  plus, it's a ballad so it wouldn't be counted as a fast 3/4.

The Roost

Measure 1-8 - the tempo and note durations should be halved. it's a slow song right from the beginning so a fast tempo doesn't really work here

Measure 7, 8 - this doesn't need to be in 6/8. change it to 4/4 and make those dotted quarters into whole notes.

Measure 9 - the tempo here should be dotted quarter = 94 because the dotted quarter is the beat as evidenced by M9 and 10.

Measure 11, 13, 29, 31 - the rhythm in the right hand of piano 1 should be a Quarter Eighth tied to a dotted quarter.

Measure 11-50 - The piano is not a bass. and by that I mean the piano, in my opinion and in most cases,  does not work in the lower octaves emulating an electric bass. I would shift it up an octave.

Measure 32 - R.H Pno 1.there's a huge leap between the high D and low B and G. that's a bit unnecessary and would be better as a left hand part so I would move the B and G down to the left hand.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

DonValentino

Quote from: spitllama on October 14, 2011, 01:16:32 PMOk I'll change it back to octaves at certain points thanks Warioman

Nah! I like helping people. ;D

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 14, 2011, 01:17:31 PMIt can't be in 3/4. the beat is clearly divided in 3.  plus, it's a ballad so it wouldn't be counted as a fast 3/4.

The Roost

Measure 1-8 - the tempo and note durations should be halved. it's a slow song right from the beginning so a fast tempo doesn't really work here

Measure 7, 8 - this doesn't need to be in 6/8. change it to 4/4 and make those dotted quarters into whole notes.

Measure 9 - the tempo here should be dotted quarter = 94 because the dotted quarter is the beat as evidenced by M9 and 10.

Measure 11, 13, 29, 31 - the rhythm in the right hand of piano 1 should be a Quarter Eighth tied to a dotted quarter.

Measure 11-50 - The piano is not a bass. and by that I mean the piano, in my opinion and in most cases,  does not work in the lower octaves emulating an electric bass. I would shift it up an octave.

Measure 32 - R.H Pno 1.there's a huge leap between the high D and low B and G. that's a bit unnecessary and would be better as a left hand part so I would move the B and G down to the left hand.

Shado... What would we do without you!  :D

spitllama

Thanks Shado I always appreciate your help.

Measure 1-8: If everything is halved though, then I wouldn't fill up all the measures allotted by the original before measure 9 with the 6/8 time takes over.

Measure 7,8: Done

Measure 9: This makes this EXTREMELY fast... I must be missing something regarding changing tempo.

Measure 11, 13, 29, 31: I guess I don't understand what you mean by a quarter eighth

Measure 11-50: Done

Measure 32: Done
Submissions Page

pumpy_heart

Quarter note for us is Crotchet for you. Eighth is a quaver.
Sorry, didn't get a chance to look over it again til now. I think you can change the beat division in half as well to have the rhythm match up at the beginning.

DonValentino

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 14, 2011, 02:25:52 PMQuarter note for us is Crotchet for you. Eighth is a quaver.
Sorry, didn't get a chance to look over it again til now. I think you can change the beat division in half as well to have the rhythm match up at the beginning.

Where do they use that naming system? Listened to it a few times, but I don't really know...  ???

pumpy_heart

The United Kingdom uses that naming system. Different from the U.S., but the same principle applies. Just a naming difference.

spitllama

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 14, 2011, 02:25:52 PMQuarter note for us is Crotchet for you. Eighth is a quaver.

Could you help me understand cutting everything in half? If note values are in half then won't I use half as many measures as the original calls for?
Submissions Page

pumpy_heart

Right. You would. But you said the measures didn't balance out. In that case, I'd cut the time signature in half too to 2/4.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 14, 2011, 01:17:31 PMIt can't be in 3/4. the beat is clearly divided in 3.  plus, it's a ballad so it wouldn't be counted as a fast 3/4.
No, It's in 3/4, just look at the melody:

Try counting that melody in 6/8-that's a 3/4 melody! Even TDT arranged this song in 3/4.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jub3r7

Is this the SSBB version of the arrangement we already have?  :-\
If so, awesome.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

spitllama

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 14, 2011, 08:15:54 PMRight. You would. But you said the measures didn't balance out. In that case, I'd cut the time signature in half too to 2/4.

Aaaahhh yo se

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 14, 2011, 09:22:59 PMNo, It's in 3/4, just look at the melody:

Try counting that melody in 6/8-that's a 3/4 melody! Even TDT arranged this song in 3/4.

???

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 14, 2011, 09:23:46 PMIs this the SSBB version of the arrangement we already have?  :-\
If so, awesome.

You had me worried for a second
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 14, 2011, 09:22:59 PMNo, It's in 3/4, just look at the melody:

you see the trees yet miss the forest.

First piece of evidence:

there are two ways we could group the rhythm here

in twos

and in threes

threes makes more sense because they're all moving in the same direction within the groupings. with the twos we have one pair moving in an opposite direction causing a disjointed look.

second piece of evidence:

take a listen to the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TO7UI0WIqVw#t=12s

in the percussion you can hear the bass drum and snare keeping the beat. In the hi-hat and piano part you can hear there are three notes in each bass and snare note.

Hi-Hat(x)              x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x--- |
Bass(o)/Snare(!)    o-----------!-----------o-------o---!----------- |

does it look or sound like a 3/4 beat to you?

I rest my case.

Quote from: spitllama on October 14, 2011, 02:22:29 PMThanks Shado I always appreciate your help.

Measure 1-8: If everything is halved though, then I wouldn't fill up all the measures allotted by the original before measure 9 with the 6/8 time takes over.

Measure 7,8: Done

Measure 9: This makes this EXTREMELY fast... I must be missing something regarding changing tempo.

Measure 11, 13, 29, 31: I guess I don't understand what you mean by a quarter eighth

Measure 11-50: Done

Measure 32: Done

Measure 9: sorry I forgot that the tempo would be different when changing from quarter to dotted quarter tempo. I checked it with a tempo tapper and determined that it was around 60-62. you might want to double-check it.

about measure 1-8
How's this?

I think it works. except for the fermata, it should be roughly the same as the original.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

DonValentino

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 14, 2011, 04:53:53 PMThe United Kingdom uses that naming system. Different from the U.S., but the same principle applies. Just a naming difference.

k.