Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

MaestroUGC

I think it should be up the the player to choose what instrument they want to arrange for, as long as it isn't a keyboard (no piano, organ, harpsichord, clavichord or celeste) and picking the Harp is rather wimpy as well. Since people here tend to have different primary instruments besides piano, this will be their best chance to show their stuff.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

The single instrument idea is neat-but would there be a "Theme" for it?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Raymondbl

I also like the single instrument idea.  There should not be a difficulty limit, but it should be possible. Like, you can't have double stops on violin strings not adjacent to each other.   
It's also more forgiving to people who don't have as much time to arrange full orchestra pieces. 

The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Raymondbl on April 08, 2012, 04:17:47 PMyou can't have double stops on violin strings not adjacent to each other.   
Wut. That's totes possible >:0

Bespinben

What about having a single instrument ensemble? (e.g. Saxophone choir)

If we did that, then we could better showcase the abilities of the chosen instrument.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Solo instrument would be harder, and I'm for that challenge!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Same here, in the sign-ups we should have people claim the instrument they want to use, so we don't have 3 people all arranging for the violin. We'd need one judge for each instrument group, i.e. someone for strings, someone for winds, brass, and percussion (though there'd really only be mallets and timpani)

Olimar12345

I can judge wind instruments. Though, I'd probably want to arrange something for low brass...

MaestroUGC

K-NiGhT

Cobraroll

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 08, 2012, 08:20:05 PMSame here, in the sign-ups we should have people claim the instrument they want to use, so we don't have 3 people all arranging for the violin.

Several songs may be arranged on the same instrument, so I think it would be safe to allow several people to arrange for the same instrument. On the other hand, it would be rather boring if we got 4 violins, 2 saxophones and a cymbal, so some measures should be taken. What about only two slots for each instrument? Or bonus points for creative choice of instrument?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Raymondbl

whatever it is, I don't think there should be a limit to how many people do what instrument. 
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Olimar12345

^I disagree. Cobra has a good point-I don't want to see all string instruments... Two arrangers per instrument seems rather fine to me.

Cobraroll

Though... it would be a little unfair with regards to time zones and such. If we just run "early bird gets the worm", a lot of good ideas could be turned down because the arranger didn't happen to be online when the thread was made. We could also end up with some early posters claiming i.e. violin and saxophone before they get a good idea, then suddenly they are too busy to finish and the ones who could have made a splendid violin or saxophone arrangement gets turned down. I think we should discourage the use of common instruments rather than restrict it. No doubt we would need to take some measures to prevent everybody from choosing the same instruments, but how?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.