News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The Regular People's Music Topic

Started by SuperFireKirby, September 06, 2011, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jtehanonymous

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on September 17, 2011, 08:51:41 AMAnyone else listen to Florence + The Machine? Just stumbled upon them a few days ago and I personally think they are quite good

I absolutely love Florence and the Machine. :) I'm a huge fan of practically anything alt/rock.

Also contributing by throwing in some of my favorites:

The Strokes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knU9gRUWCno&feature=relmfu
Rise Against: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcMQrVCd8dQ
The Killers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fBdpreJiU&ob=av2e
30 Seconds to Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acIU7yxzJ70&ob=av2e

I'll stop there...(for now). I could just go on all day.  :D

SuperFireKirby

I used to LOVE Rise Against, they were by far my favorite band. But I've absolutely abhorred their last two albums. Total garbage IMO.  But Siren Sounds of the Counter Culture is still one of the best albums by any band that I own.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Winter

DrP

Quote from: Winter on September 24, 2011, 06:19:27 PM<3 the killers.
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

They're like my 2nd Favorite Band (behind Muse)!!!!!!

I just plain love them!

Also, the song selection on Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack is really superb! Stuff by We Are Scientists, Vampire Weekend, Army Navy, Bishop Allen, etc... AMAZING!

Winter

Holy Crap DrP

Muse is my favorite too.

SuperFireKirby

The Killers(of music) is what my uncle refers to them as. I think he's kinda right.

Quote from: DrP on September 24, 2011, 09:03:59 PMThey're like my 2nd Favorite Band (behind Muse)!!!!!!
BUT MUSE IS FUCKIN AWESOME

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Sekter77

Did anyone get any good albums from this year? Apparently it's been an interesting year for popular music so far as there are quite a few successful bands who have broken up/got back together again. (REM and Blink-182 come to mind).

And to continue past discussion, Muse is pretty good, but not great. However, I don't like Rise Against at all. I get a lot of flak for that as I am the only person I know who doesn't think they're one of the greatest bands out there. I'm just not a huge fan of that style of rock music. I just don't find their work very interesting.

Guitar and video games.

SuperFireKirby

^If Rise Against's only two albums were Appeal To Reason and whatever their newest one was, I would have the exact same opinion of them. But Revolutions Per Minute and Siren Sounds of the Counter Culture were awesome works of punk rock.

Alpocalypse by Weird Al was one of the only 2011 releases I bought.

and Less Than Jake's latest EP. Though I did buy 3 White Stripes albums and 4 Nine Inch Nail albums.(neither of which has made an album this year, seeing as one is disbanded and the other is on hiatus)

Never been a big fan of Blink thought they did have some great songs in their early days. I'll probably give their newest album a listen anyways.

Sekter77

I've never been a huge Blink fan either, but from what I've heard (iTunes previews!), it sounds like they picked up right where they left off. I may get a single or something one day.

Nine Inch Nails is a pretty cool band, but I don't really see me actually buying a full album by them. Their style isn't very accessible. And i've never heard of Less Than Jake actually. Also, it is a little disappointing that The White Stripes disbanded. They made some good stuff, but Jack White's side projects should remain interesting though. The Raconteurs have some interesting tunes anyway.

The only albums I got this year were by Queens of the Stone Age (two of them), Them Crooked Vultures (excellent and quirky supergroup), and I'm planning on picking up the new Mastodon album (which is totally amazing). Most of the stuff I like does tend to be heavier than most people's tastes here... Indie Rock just isn't my kind of genre for the most part.
Guitar and video games.

DrP

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 04, 2011, 12:32:11 PMAlpocalypse by Weird Al was one of the only 2011 releases I bought.
Guess who's coming here in literally a month??? He's finally returning to Cal Poly for an epic concert (Cal Poly alums are just plain epic)

AND I can use this concert for credit in my music class!

SuperFireKirby

GUESS WHO'S COMING LITERALLY TOMORROW? AND GUESS WHO MIGHT GO SEE HIM?