News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Welcome to our first arrangement contest!

Started by Cobraroll, October 10, 2011, 09:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we try another round?

Frankly, I don't care and I wouldn't enter anyway
1 (5.3%)
Yes, but I'm unsure if I would enter or not
4 (21.1%)
Yes, and I would like to participate in it
9 (47.4%)
Yes, and I would like to volunteer as a judge
3 (15.8%)
No, I don't think enough people are interested
0 (0%)
No, the entire idea is stupid
2 (10.5%)
No, other (state in topic)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Olimar12345

Contrast to what they did, I wrote a clarinet quartet. I call it, "Dissonance in the Lost Woods" (oh, and finale plays it a whole step higher than it will actually sound, just ignore that, lol.)

original- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIyaVwrDro4
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

So you...didnt switch it to concert pitch before entering in notes... -_- why wouldn't you with a Bb instrument...
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

In a larger ensamble setting I wouldn't pay the transposition much attention, but since it was only Bb instruments I turned it off all together; Its a nice little trick, really. Basically I wrote it all in C. This means I can talk to the performers without having to translate through concert pitch. It also makes managing accidentals and sheet music layout much easier. The only downside? It'll sound a whole step lower when actually played. Do I care? Nope. Therefore, No downside.  :P
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Except that the person judging you cant hear it properly...and i meant when i write for Bb i change to concert pitch then change back when I'm finished.

Olimar12345

OMG your not going to care if it is just a second off-once you start it(transposed or not) you'll forget all about it in a matter of seconds.

And that concert pitch tool? I'd try to avoid it. Like I said, I like to be familiar with the music I'm giving to my performers beforehand.

fingerz

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 30, 2011, 09:29:10 PMOMG your not going to care if it is just a second off-once you start it(transposed or not) you'll forget all about it in a matter of seconds.
I can just imagine you saying that face-to-face, Olimar. ^^
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 30, 2011, 09:29:10 PMOMG your not going to care if it is just a second off-once you start it(transposed or not) you'll forget all about it in a matter of seconds.

And that concert pitch tool? I'd try to avoid it. Like I said, I like to be familiar with the music I'm giving to my performers beforehand.

Well, duh. No need to get angry, man. :) and I didnt know a tool existed...i always just check/uncheck where it says Display in concert pitch.

Olimar12345

Wow, I didn't realize how angry that post sounds! Lol. And its a switch like you said, I was just refering to it AS a tool.

Brassman388

And he's right. I don't really care that it's a step higher. For me, it doesn't change the feel at all. Considering I'm hearing beforehand this way, if I were to make it a step lower, it wouldn't sound right to me.

Dudeman

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 30, 2011, 04:05:22 PMContrast to what they did, I wrote a clarinet quartet. I call it, "Dissonance in the Lost Woods" (oh, and finale plays it a whole step higher than it will actually sound, just ignore that, lol.)

original- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIyaVwrDro4
Not judging right now, but...how often did you use the actual melody? It's just...kinda grating on my ears.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Brassman388

Quote from: Dudeman on October 31, 2011, 05:24:57 PMNot judging right now, but...how often did you use the actual melody? It's just...kinda grating on my ears.

Quite often.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dudeman on October 31, 2011, 05:24:57 PMNot judging right now, but...how often did you use the actual melody? It's just...kinda grating on my ears.

Yeah, its always playing somewhere. sometimes you have to look really close to see it if you don't catch it the first time.  ;)
(there's a section in the bass where I literally just took the motive and did inversions and retrogrades to create its line)

Cobraroll

Okay, peeps, unless this thread explodes with screaming protests, submissions are now closed.

Everybody applaud our whooping number of three entrants. Judging will start any week now. Stay tuned for the results!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Olimar12345

Sooo...It's been 2 weeks....how's it goin?