News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Submission Off-Topic Chat

Started by Bespinben, September 25, 2011, 06:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpy_heart

I couldn't care a rat's ass about the midi. If the sheet looks good and is playable by my target audience, then I'm fine with it.

Bespinben

I can understand that pumpy. The thing is though, my comment was based on the premise that our target audience was average web_surfer browsing through this site. You having a different target audience however explains the difference between our arrangement styles, which is perfectly fine.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

pumpy_heart

Yep. Don't really know if NSM has a target audience, but I would think it is people looking for sheets. Don't really want to be a sound editor for a living. XD

spitllama

As a casual surfer of ninsheet (my arrangements are too few/noobish to really matter), I have never touched the midis xD

And if I'm wrong tell me, but I don't think musically ignorant people find ninsheet and are like OMG MIDIS OF PIANO. Sheets seem like the focus.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

fingerz

Besides, the MIDIs aren't fabulous quality. If you want to hear it properly, you're better off using Finale Reader or another Finale product.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Nebbles

And regardless of the MIDIs, people using the sheets also should know what the song sounds like, shouldn't they? So the MIDIs are essentially useless to most of us, since we KNOW what the song sounds like already, so plunking out the keys on the piano and learning the song isn't too difficult.

Just my two cents, though.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Quote from: spitllama on October 03, 2011, 09:42:48 AMDynamics shouldn't be required imo. They're at the discretion of the performer.

I disagree, implementing dynamics is a fine standard and not hard to do. :P
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Sorry for double post. But.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 03, 2011, 01:49:30 PMI couldn't care a rat's ass about the midi. If the sheet looks good and is playable by my target audience, then I'm fine with it.

^This. Exactly. Playability and accuracy >>>>>>>>>>> how the midi sounds.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Quote from: Nebbles on October 03, 2011, 03:42:33 PMAnd regardless of the MIDIs, people using the sheets also should know what the song sounds like, shouldn't they? So the MIDIs are essentially useless to most of us, since we KNOW what the song sounds like already, so plunking out the keys on the piano and learning the song isn't too difficult.

Just my two cents, though.
If it makes any difference, I listen to the MIDIs first and foremost to figure out the playability/difficulty of a song. MIDIs are just as important as anything else.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Winter

I'm having trouble figuring out how this topic came up. As far as bespinben was saying on his first mention of midi's: No, I don't think a mf at the beginning of the score helps midi playback all that much. It's like if you had a picture and turned the brightness all the way up, that doesn't make it better. You have to adjust the contrast at different parts of the art to make it sound/look. Heck, the customer could just turn their audio up if one mf is all we had. I know it does make other changes to the sound, but you know what I mean. Playing any song at one volume level all the way through is not the best idea. You as a pianist would change it a bit, so write it how you would play it.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Winter on October 04, 2011, 11:05:57 AMPlaying any song at one volume level all the way through is not the best idea.

Ragtime and marches can sound fine at one volume level.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Meta-Ridley

I think the real reason for MIDIs is because we want to check out if this is a well-sounding arrangement that works for piano. And occasionally if you don't know what a songs name is you go through the MIDIs to find it.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book