News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[PC] Civilization IV - "Baba Yetu"

Started by Cobraroll, February 14, 2012, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

The main theme for Civilization IV, "Baba Yetu" by Christopher Tin, was the first piece of video game music ever to win a Grammy Award. It won the "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)" category of the 53rd Grammies, in 2010. The song was also used in the opening ceremonies of the World Games of 2009 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, and as a featured segment in the choreographed Dubai Fountain. Wouldn't that be something to have on our site?

Lyrics are also provided:

Baba yetu, Yetu uliye
Mbinguni yetu, Yetu amina!
Baba yetu Yetu uliye
Fu jina lako litukuzwe.
Utupe leo chakula chetu
Tunachohitaji utusamehe
Makosa yetu, hey!
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe
Waliotukosea usitutie
Katika majaribu, lakini
Utuokoe, na yule, muovu e milele!

Ufalme wako ufike utakalo
Lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni. (Amina)

This song serves as a proof that mostly anything will sound great if you translate it to Swahili and let an African gospel choir sing it. In this case, the lyrics are the Swahilian version of the ordinary, run-of-the-mill, not-my-cup-of-tea Lord's Prayer.

Would it sound good on the piano? Let this video speak for itself.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Peregrin Took

As good as this song is (it's one of my favourite songs to play,) you may want to note that the sheet music isn't very hard to find. Most notably: