News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Blueflower's Gaming Blog and Reviews

Started by blueflower999, March 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ace Attorney lists should I do after ranking the cases?

Rank the characters (or top 10/20 characters)
4 (17.4%)
Rank the breakdowns
3 (13%)
Top 10/20 songs
4 (17.4%)
Rank the villains/murderers
1 (4.3%)
Rank the character themes
2 (8.7%)
Don't do another Ace Attorney list
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

SlowPokemon

Well since you're already getting VLR, I think you should take that off the list, add Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, assign all of them a number, and go to random.org and get whichever one it picks next. Because they're all very good games XD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Yugi

Quote from: blueflower999 on June 06, 2013, 04:56:25 PMYou mean like Virtue's Last Reward, Mario Galaxy 2, Mario and Luigi, and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future?
You forgot one.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

blueflower999

You realize I was only listing games that Slow recommended.  :P

The list would be a lot longer if I included everything.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

Current to-review list (May or may not be in order):

1. Luigi's Mansion
2. ?? (Secret)
3. Cave Story*
4. Mega Man 3
5. Mega Man 5*

*I still have to finish this game
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

Well what the heck, I've been putting this off for way too long. Might as well get it out of the way now. Hopefully this one won't be too long...

Luigi's Mansion

Now, a lot of people say this game sucks. And a lot of other people say that this is one of the greatest games on the Gamecube. Where do I stand? Well, let's find out.

Gameplay: 8/10 Certainly does not suck. This game starts off simple, and gets more and more complex as it draws on. Suck up ghosts with your vacuum. As the game goes on, the ghosts get more and more complicated, and the strategies that you have to use for the boss ghosts do as well. Speaking of boss ghosts, there are a TON of them in this game. Literally every 2-3 rooms you should run into a boss, at least. Sometimes you have to fight multiple in a row with no normal rooms in between, which is fine by me. The game does a pretty fair job of ranking you on the bosses (a gold, silver, and bronze system) and the portrait that you make of them is determined by your rank. (Gold ranks give higher quality paintings than silver, and so on) While the game is fairly short, the mansion is huge and there are plenty of rooms to explore, which adds to a nice sense of adventure. Elements like fire, water, and ice are also implemented, and you need to beat ghosts with them in a rock-paper-scissors type fashion. The main issue I have with this game and the reason I found the final boss to be so difficult are the controls on the flashlight and vacuum. They're inverted, meaning that down moves it up, and vice versa. While some people might be used to these, I am not, and it caused me to mess up over and over again in this game. (I only missed about 3 Speedy Spirits though, and I got all the Golden Mice, so I suppose that's not too bad for my first run!) This game also has a TON of secrets in it, and only a few of which are so cryptic that you'll never find them without a walkthrough, so it's a lot of fun just experimenting around and looking for stuff.

Addictiveness: 7/10 I really didn't find this game to be all that addicting, but knowing that it's pretty short and you could probably beat it in a day or two made me finish it quickly. It does have a pretty decent sense of adventure though, but I do wish that it was a bit longer.

Story: 5/10 It's a Mario game, and the story is still pretty cliche. No real need for comment here. Who plays Mario games for stories? At least the Princess doesn't get kidnapped in this game, so it's not totally like the others in the series.

Music: 6/10 Again, I didn't really find the music to be anything special. Granted, the main theme is one of my favorite Mario songs of all time, but that's really all I heard in this game. Most of the songs were just remixes of that theme or just totally unmemorable to me. (Slow will probably argue this, and my stance may change over time, but this is how I am at the moment of writing)

This is the main theme that plays in the halls
[close]
If you want a cleaner version, I recommend the one from Brawl

Character Design: 9/10 I found the character design to be one of this game's stronger points. The boss ghosts have pretty interesting back stories, and many of them are wacky characters in and of themselves. E. Gadd is one of my favorite characters in the Mario universe as a whole, and Luigi is as wacky and hilarious as ever in this game.

Humor: 8/10 The humor in this game was pretty good too. Heck, how can a game staring Luigi NOT be funny? By using your Gameboy Horror to check random objects, some of Luigi's text is pretty amusing. Oh, and King Boo quotes Star Wars. That is AWESOME!

Difficulty: 7/10 As unfortunate as it is, most of the difficulty of this game comes from the controls that I was never able to get used to and the "if you don't get it this one time, it's gone for good" sorts of things, mainly Speedy Spirits. I did get an A rank on my first try, but I imagine that without me watching Chuggaaconroy play through it prior, I would have done a ton worse. The final boss battle took me many tries to do, and it got pretty frustrating.

Other Memorable Features: Like I said before, King Boo freaking quotes Star Wars. I have to say, I know plenty of people who played this game as really young children, and it scared them, but I found this game to be more of a parody of the horror genre than a legitimately scary game, and if you know me, I love a good parody. Heck, the scariest thing in this game by far is Luigi's face on the save screen.

Overall: 8/10 This was a pretty entertaining game, and while it did have some flaws, it was one of the better games I've played on the Gamecube so far. And does it suck? Absolutely not.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

MaestroUGC

This is clearly stolen from my review of Luigi's Mansion.

Also this game does suck. It sucks and blows.

Lame/Plagiarism
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Waddle Bro

I was so scared of this game when I was 5. Then I "borrowed" the game from my cousin and beat it just two years ago.

I remember seeing the yellow ghosts in my nightmares.

Yugi

You were scared of it, and then borrowed it?

SlowPokemon

This game is very good. Believe it or not, I actually agree about the music. I also wish there was a proper version of the main theme, with something carrying the melody besides Luigi's humming--that was clever, but isn't as easy to listen to outside the game.

The game being so short was the biggest problem for me--also Boolossus was so hard omg. Had way more trouble with him than King Boo.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

MaestroUGC

Boolossus is probably one of my most favorite boss fights of all time.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

TheZeldaPianist275

I have no memory of him being hard, he was just awesome :D