News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Arrangement contest 3 - Going Solo! Sheets out!

Started by Cobraroll, May 16, 2012, 03:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your favourite?

Viridian Forest from Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver, by Garlicbananas.
4 (44.4%)
Minor Remnants from Metroid II, by Olimar12345.
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Cobraroll

Welcome to the third arrangement contest! Big applause, everybody!

This time, the rules are simple:
Arrange any video game song for a solo instrument. The following instruments are banned:
 - All keyboard-based instruments (including, but not limited to, piano, organ, harpsichord, electric piano)
 - Harp
 - Voice or whistling (yes, we're being picky)
 - The primary instrument of the song being arranged (for instance, arranging Haunted Merry Go-round for accordion wouldn't be allowed).

Apart from this, anything is legal as long as you can comfortably make sheets for it (car horns, glass bottles with water, or dial-up modems would technically be allowed, but tricky to submit).

Your score will be judged by the following criteria:
 - Relatability/Originality (how closely it follows the spirit of the original, and how creative it is)
 - Playability
 - Formatting*
 - Miscellaneous stuff such as performability, length, overall impression, etc.

*These things should be present:
-an original title (quotation marks not necessary)
-subtitle (stating the game it's from)
-original composer
-arranger
-bpm
-Instrument name
-duration
-copyright

We encourage you to be creative with your instrument choice. Points might be deducted if we get in tons of sheets using the same instrument. For instance, if we get in six violin sheets, neither of their arrangers will get points awarded for creative instrument choice. If we only get in one bagpipe, full score for him (long story short, the fewer people who arrange for the same instrument, the better).

Please try to keep your arrangement shorther than five minutes. It's up to the individual judgrors to decide whether or not this deducts points, but please think about the poor lads who have to go through every single measure in every single sheet to check for playability and formatting. Listening to it shouldn't be an exercise in patience either.

Send me a PM with your sign-up and instrument choice. You'll then receive an ID number, to put in your sheet instead of the arranger's name (check the thread for the previous round for more details).
If the instrument you want to use has been claimed by many others already, I will issue warnings. For instance, say I get four members all wanting to arrange for the sax, and five for the violin. Then I'd post something along these lines in this topic:
"If all sign-ups hand in, the following instruments will be penalized:
 - Saxophone [ x ] points
 - Violin [ x+1 ] points"

You get the idea. Also keep in mind that from experience, only about 60% of the sign-ups end up handing in. If you still feel that the violin is your best instrument, then go for it. Perhaps the five others end up being terribly busy or lack motivation to finish, and you're the only violinist to hand in. Then you'd suffer no penalty.

An extra point will be awarded for a creative title.
This to avoid boring titles like "Brinstar - Trombone" or something.

The deadline is June 7th, unless something extraordinary happens.

All hand-ins are to be sent to me. Upload your sheet to a file hosting website, and PM me the link, or PM me for a mail address to send it to. The easiest thing would be just sending a .MUS, but if you have issues with conversion from other programs, add a PDF and a sound file too.

Our prominent panel of judgrors are:
MaestroUGC
Dudeman
SlowPokemon
Olimar12345

Any of them may or may not participate. A judgror will not rate his own sheet.

Any questions, comments or rants regarding this round go in this thread. If you have suggestions for other rounds, those go in the brainstorming topic.

Have fun!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

MaestroUGC

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

PM Cobra with you instrument and piece choice. This can't happen without you, so get to it! If you have any questions, please ask us, that's what we are here for. Most of us here have pretty solid knowledge about the symphonic instruments, better to ask if a violin can play a F3 then to find out half of your arrangement is impossible to play due to range.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

I don't think an extra point should be given for a creative name. Mine's literally impossible to creatively name.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

Zero extra points, then. Come on, you can do better than that!

Also, just to reiterate, we're not going for pure transcriptions here. It's meant to be arranged for solo instrument, not transcripted for one.

I'll send out PMs with the ID number to the ones who have signed up so far, as soon as possible.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

garlicbananas

I have something in mind, but with finals this week, I don't know if I'll have time.  I'll just have to wait and see.
Please check out my arrangement! http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=4222.0

Cobraroll

The deadline might be extended if a lot of people come forth with their stories of being busy. We're not so rigorous that we finish the contest without contestants just because the deadline says so.

If you want to enter, but don't have time due to school/work/family/illness, (procrastination doesn't count) please let us know! Most likely, you won't be the only one!

K-NiGhT

I'll be entering, but i'm still in school this week.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Olimar12345

Me too. Just gotta pick out my song...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

garlicbananas

I know the song and instrument, I just don't know if I'll be able to do it.
Please check out my arrangement! http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=4222.0

MaestroUGC

Cobraroll

^Aaaand there goes your anonymity!

Obscure your choice of instrument in this topic, and send me a PM.

SlowPokemon

Oh wait do I need to send a pm with the song I'm doing?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Yes, that will be the proper procedure for all of these contests.

Cobraroll

In this case, just to check if you choose the same song and the same instrument as somebody else, in which case you'll be notified. A little comparison is well and good, but if three or more people pick the same song for the same instrument....

Olimar12345

For the ppl who aren't getting it:
Quote from: Cobraroll on May 16, 2012, 03:44:14 AMSend me(cobra) a PM with your sign-up and instrument choice.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!