The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Zunawe

If you've seen my spaceship game thread you might already know about this. A few of us thought it might be cool to create an RPG collectively.

Most likely, if we do this, we would be doing it using Game Maker because it's a very easy programming language, and the graphics maker is simple enough for easy understanding, but sophisticated enough to make the game look good.

There would have to be teams in charge of different aspects such as:

Artists
Programmers
Composers
Writers
Testers
Level Designers

And there would be subsections in those teams. (For example, artists would either be in scenery, NPC design, PC design, enemies, etc. . .) There would probably be a leader for each team that helps to organize it all. What I'm thinking is that there are the standard workers at the bottom (that doesn't mean unimportant). Above them would be the team leaders that guide their team (this person will probably have the most experience in that field). Then the general manager who guides the team leaders (probably somebody who is a good leader in general). And finally the organizer who takes everything that the group has done at the time, and puts it together into one game that is shared on this thread. All of these special people will still be on teams like the others, but they will have separate roles as well.

Because this is so much work, it would be a good idea to only be on one team. Two max. If you really want to be on two teams, then make it a good combination. A programmer would not be a good tester because he/she would already be good at the game, and would not be able to test for difficulty. However, a programmer would be a good artist because they would know the sprites and have a good idea of how to program them while designing them.

Also, we can't all be composers, however much we want to. If you have actually composed something longer than 2 minutes you should be okay.

We won't be able to get started for a long while because we first need interest, then the theme of the game, then we need to begin building the story, then decide on what the world should be able to do (what items are there, how should the hero attack, etc. . .), and finally what the game should look like. Then we can start actually designing the game. Because of this, we'll need to start as soon as possible, so begin working on a framework for a story (I'd rather just take elements from a story that we already have than use the whole thing).

I feel like we'll have a lack of programmers, so if you have any experience with programming, please sign up. Even if you've only worked in something like Alice you should be fine. All you need to know are if statements and problem solving, really.

Let's see where this goes! Feedback on anything is appreciated.

Participants:

Artists
Fabbemannen
SuperFireKirby(Outside helper?)
Shadowkirby
Fleetstar the Flygon
(Outside helper (Concept Art))

Programmers
Zunawe
Fabbemannen
Dude
Jub
DryLuigi

Composers
K-NiGhT
MaestroUGC
Dude
pumpy_heart

Writers
K-NiGhT
SuperFireKirby

Testers (Composers will already be in this group unless they are programming.)
jxjxjx

Level Designers
SuperFireKirby
Fabbemannen
Spyro

The background story as of now.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

fabbemannen

Quote from: fabbemannen on June 07, 2012, 05:48:30 AMhmm, I've been doing some programming in different languages and I have been trying a little with the XNA-plugin for C#
I started on a game myself, but stopped when it came to collisions, 'cause it stopped making sense :/

I could help with maybe some basic programming and design/sprites, but right now I don't wanna be at the computer too much 'cause of an eyeinfection (I actually type without looking, feels better that way and still without mistakes ^^)

I could help with some songs too, well, I'm actually involved in 2 other games' music right now, but it gets slow since I don't have a bigger midi-keyboard atm
well, from the other topic.

Artists - I can help here, even though I'm not the best guy at drawing. I'm normally better in logos and things like that
Programmers - Read the quote, I can help a little here too. Haven't tried Game Maker but I know a couple of languages
Composers - We should have everyone sending in one song, and maybe a couple few who does more than one
Writers - There's a lot of storytelling threads...
Testers - Random people? Or just some that gets them sent to?
Level Designers - No real experience needed here I assume, depends on the program we will use

We should have the whole thing on dropbox or something similar to it, with one folder for everyone involved, one for the programmers etc.

K-NiGhT

The only things I think I would be helpful in are writing and composing. I've got stories in mind. And I'm sure I can come up with at least a few good songs for this.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Zunawe

Quote from: fabbemannen on June 07, 2012, 09:55:26 AMWe should have the whole thing on dropbox or something similar to it, with one folder for everyone involved, one for the programmers etc.

I was thinking the same, but it would be different, because you can't do it the same way you would with shared computers (that I know of). I'll play around with the public feature.

Never mind, you can share folders between accounts. We'll all need an account for it to work, though. Post your DropBox name or email too so I can share it. If you don't want to post it then just PM it. I don't want people spamming another person's email, or somebody having to share their name if they don't want to.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

MaestroUGC

I wouldn't mind contributing to this as a composer, but I'd probably only have time for one piece or two. I have been writing music for 5 years now, with my shortest orchestral pieces clocking in at around 10 minutes.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SuperFireKirby

I never really worked sprites like the ones we would most likely be using in GM(I'm assuming this will be a 2d-top down game?) but I have a friend who is freaking brilliant with them, am I'm sure he'd be willing to teach me as well as lend his skills to this project.

Level designing and writing is more my cup of tea, since I have done both for various small projects. This is where I would be most useful(especially level designing).

I have some experience with GML(game maker's programming language), but not enough to say I'm proficient with it. I could, once again, consult a friend who is extremely good with GML so I might be of use here.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

EFitTrainr

Id like to help with art!
I like food.

Zunawe

I have a friend who says he'll help program, but I don't think he'll make an account.

My group of friends and I have been planning on developing games for the Android Market, but it never got started. This might be something they'll be interested in.

I still have one more person I can ask about programming, and then one person about art.

Should we have concept artists as a separate team, or as a subsection to the artists?

I program things

K-NiGhT

SuperFireKirby

same. Since we have 3 artists plus an outside helper, unless we can get more people to do this, the wrok should probably be split up based on who is best a what.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Zunawe

The friend I mentioned is a really, really good drawer. He agreed to help, but only to design a few characters. He doesn't generally do this stuff for free, so he isn't planning on taking a huge role. We'll have to wait and see what he decides.

I program things

K-NiGhT

I have the story mapped out already :D!

fabbemannen

If we get somewhere, I guess I can help with level design unless we get more there. I've done some Pokemon Gen. 3 hacks before ^^

About dropbox, fabbemannen@gmail.com
http://db.tt/pdkoJeH <--if someone doesn't have it

Ragster

I can be a programmer, I have some experience in the Game Maker Language, made a few games here and there. Also, I have the pro edition of Game Maker 7 if that helps any. That's the only language that I really know so far, been looking into Python for a little bit, but I really don't have the inspiration to learn it anymore.

I also feel that I'm pretty good at making smooth story-lines, so I can help out there too.

Zunawe

Just so we don't have too many people working on the story, I was imagining a system where the writers would have a general story, and then the rest of us vote on specifics like the name of the villain, or the dungeon themes. That way everybody can help add elements to the story without being a writer.

I'm still looking for a little more interest right now, but this is a good start.

I program things